Perkis or Lowe

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bill Markley

Nov 6, 2007
Hello. My apologies if this has already been discussed, but I couldn't find it elsewhere.... In "A Night to Remember" there is a scene after the sinking in which an officer in a lifeboat impressively takes charge and goes back towards the sinking site to look for survivors. I don't have the movie readily available, so I'm sorry I can't provide more details. Does anyone know if this character is based upon either Walter Perkis or Harold Lowe? I was just curious, especially since its one of my favorite parts in one of my favorite movies.

May 27, 2007
I believe Walter Lord thought it was Officer Lowe. He wrote the Book ANTR. Inger Sheil would know if it was Lowe. She is our resident Lowe expert.

Bob Godfrey

Nov 22, 2002
UK
This is one of those rare occasions when certainty is in order, George. :) Perkis was not an officer and doesn't appear at all in ANTR. The actor in that scene was Howards Pays, who was cast as Harold Lowe.

As a connoisseur of movie trivia, George, you might want to know that Howard is the father of film & TV actress Amanda Pays.

May 27, 2007
Fancy that. Amanda Pays? I know the name but I don't recognize her work unless I saw her face. No biggy.

Perkis? Thought he was a Purser although I did know he wasn't in the book ANTR. I was to busy pushing Officer Lowe's case to even bother with Perkis

Inger Sheil

Feb 9, 1999
Good scene, that one - clipped BBC British aside, I think it rather captures the sense of Lowe at that point in time. Bob is right, of course - it is Pays, cast as Lowe. My main reservation would be that he is rather too polite to the woman who complains of being transferred from boat to boat - no shades of his blasphemous admonition to Minahan to "jump" into the other boat. Although as, in the movie, he has only just begun transferring passengers, perhaps his patience is more intact!

Jul 20, 2000
George,

Perkis is in [the book] ANTR. - Chapter 10 [page 170 of the Illustrated edition].
122534.jpg

May 27, 2007
So Quartermaster Perkis did make an appearance after all. I wonder if Bob knows.

They, the officers are freakishly polite in that Movie. I just know some shouting went down that night.

Bob Godfrey

Nov 22, 2002
UK
Bob knows he's mentioned in the book, George. But as I said, he wasn't cast in the film. And a quartermaster (underlined or not) wasn't an officer. Like the lookouts, they were seamen with particular duties, had no authority over anybody and didn't get a penny extra in their pay.

Bob Godfrey

Nov 22, 2002
UK
The film did offer speaking roles for two of the Quartermasters. Hichens, of course, and George Rowe, who for some reason was played by an actor much older than himself. In a scene relating to the Californian, Rowe was provided with the most daring (for the 1950s) line is the film: "I think the bastards must be asleep."

Status
Not open for further replies.