Personal Effects of Unidentified bodies

P

Peter Hurst

Does anybody know what happened to the effects of the unidentified ?? Were they buried with the bodies or are they still available for someone to claim if proven.

Presumably the effects of those identified were returned to the families.

Peter Hurst

Mike Herbold

Feb 13, 2001
Sadly, many of them may have been lost after they were stored in the basement of Province House in Halifax. Alan Jefers, co-author with Rob Gordon of "Titanic Halifax, A Guide to Sites," writes (page 84) of stumbling across "Artifacts from Titanic" folders, which, among other things, contained personal papers with the name Gustafsson on them. He reported his find and people from the Archives of Nova Scotia came and got all the material. There the trail ends. Jeffers concludes: "The Titanic artifacts I discovered had remained in the dingy basement of Province House for over three-quarters of a century, undisturbed by time. They resurfaced briefly but are now lost again."

P

Peter Hurst

Thanks Mike

Do you think with the Net resources available today they be could tracked down ?? It would be a great find. I cannot believe they would have been thrown out with the garbage ??

Pete Hurst

D

Daniel Rosenshine

This may be a little late, since it is almost 2 weeks since this discussion started, but I thought I might add.

I once asked Mr Shulak, as to what happened to all those affects, recovered from bodies. The answer was simple, some were retained in Nova Scotia (although very little) most of them were sent to the New York, White Star Office.

All the affects were sent there, from identified and unidentified bodies, in hope that they may be identified and sent to the families. The affects from identified bodies were sent to their respective families and the unidentified and unclaimed affects remained in the office. They have since been lost and all attempts to find them have so far failed.

Daniel.