Personal Trivia: Can I Become A Titanic Lecturer?

Harland Duzen

Jan 14, 2017
Not a Historical question, but I been thinking lately that since I (as well as every other person on this website!) know so much on the Titanic, that I wonder if I could give small lectures* or talks on the subject. I just wonder if anyone else has ever done such a thing and if so, they have any info or tips about it:

(*When I say lecture, I mean simple lectures like for schools, museums or small groups)

Reactions: 1 user

Stephen Carey

Apr 28, 2016
Philippines
Not a Historical question, but I been thinking lately that since I (as well as every other person on this website!) know so much on the Titanic, that I wonder if I could give small lectures* or talks on the subject. I just wonder if anyone else has ever done such a thing and if so, they have any info or tips about it:

(*When I say lecture, I mean simple lectures like for schools, museums or small groups)
I did them in Glasgow when I lived there in the 90s. I was giving lectures on ship accidents - Titanic, Braer, Torrey Canyon etc to university students.
One of them asked me how to start the Titanic, was it with a big ignition key? I wrote a lecture on it and it was well received. Recently - having lost it - I rewrote it as a story with more atmosphere on what it was like to start up a coal burning ship, and then went on to writing a series of "ship starting docs" that I used in lectures within the oil and gas company I worked in until retirement*. They were well received, like most lectures on this subject are. If you feel up to it, write one, produce all the slides, then practice it in front of family and friends. Most people are fascinated about ships and know relatively little about them, so you normally get an easy ride. As an ex ship's Chief Engineer it was probably easier for me to answer general questions however. If you know your subject, give it a go!
* I have the Ocean Liners of the Past series of books, so have written the starting up of Titanic/Olympic, Mauretania/Lusitania, Aquitania, Empress of Britain, Normandie. I have one to go - Queen Mary - when I get round to it. Nice retirement job...

Harland Duzen

Jan 14, 2017
Thank you codad1946 for the info, I afraid I don't have any experience in being a Chief Engineer, but I have studied Titanic since the age of 6 which might help!