Peter Threlfall

Dec 22, 2005
My name is Pete Threlfall, and I have been writing about the short life and sinking of the Laurentic (1909-1917), and subsequent salvage operation's. I have video footage of the wreck, photos of the ship; a diary from a former officer; about 50 images of crewmen (some poor-some excellent); photographs of family tombstones commemorating crewmen lost; charts of the area where the wreck lies.......the list goes on ! I notice that there has been some interest in the Laurentic memorial at Upper Fahan Church of Ireland churchyard. There are so many mistakes on this memorial, it's unbelievable! There is even discrepencies regarding actually how many men are buried in the mass grave......the memorial states one figure, and official sources state another....interesting, eh? I would like to contact anyone who has any documentation, photographs, or other memorabilia dealing with the Laurentic crew or the ship herself......or indeed, anyone who is just genuinely interested.

Jason D. Tiller

Dec 3, 2000
Niagara Falls, Ontario
Hello Peter,

Welcome aboard, once again. I created a thread for you and moved your post to here, so that Holly's thread remains her own. This is the best site for all things Titanic.

That's interesting that you are writing about Laurentic I. I've been interested in her for the last several years and a few years ago I visited the memorial in Ireland, which was great to see. I have never heard that their are errors on the memorial, what other ones have you noticed besides the ones you mentioned?

There is a subtopic on her right here on this board, in the "Other Ships and Shipwrecks" folder which you may find of interest. I have very little information on her at the moment, but I do have a photo copied from an original, which I could try and e-mail to you. It shows the full length of her, so it's quite large.

It's good to hear from you and see you around the board.

Dec 22, 2005
Hi Jason,
Yes, when you look at all the names of the men on the Laurentic memorial, crewmen are listed as Royal Navy, when they should be Royal Marine Light Infantry, and a lot more similar anomalies (excuse spelling.....God help me ??! And I'm trying to write a book !). The memorial also states that there are about 65 men listed, when official sources state a slightly different figure.

Because of my military connection's, I have not been able to get over to Northern Ireland (I am a veteran of the current campaign in Iraq), but would dearly love to go over and see it. I have biographical information on all 470+ men that were on board at the time of the sinking, and also have a collection of about £2,000 worth of medals from the crew.

Please, keep in touch.

Jason D. Tiller

Dec 3, 2000
Niagara Falls, Ontario
Hi Peter,

That's interesting about those errors, I automatically assumed that they were with the Royal Navy. Which number do the official sources list?

The memorial is quite large and it stands out well in the small cemetery that it is in. A few years before traveling to Ireland, I had seen photos of it in a Titanic journal, so it was very exciting for me when I saw it in person.

I've been waiting for a book to come out on her for a while, so I'm glad to see someone is finally telling her story; it's about time. I don't know if you've seen this, but there are some excellent wreck photographs and information on this site:

Laurentic

Here's another good link:

Laurentic I

It sounds like you've got a lot of good information on the crew and the medals would be quite something to own. If you're interested in seeing the photo that I have, just click on my name and send me a message through the board with your e-mail address, since ET does not publish e-mail addresses in the messages.

I will definitely keep in touch. Merry Christmas and Happy New Year.

Best wishes,

Jason
happy.gif

J

James Knight

Hi Peter, I'm new here too ( hello everyone! ), my interest with the Laurentic is very keen, my grand father served on the HMS Racer as one of the diving team to salvage the Laurentic gold

J

James O'Fee

Hi! I live in Northern Ireland. As a teenager, I cycled around Co Donegal. I remember visiting Fahan which was, I think, a naval base and one of the 'Treaty Ports'. It had enormous gun positions. Lough Swilly is a wonderful deep-water natural harbour, and very beautiful.

But Fahan was a quiet place then. It's not far from the City of Londonderry. My sister has a hididay home in Buncrana which, again, isn't very far away.

A

Andrew Williams

Hello Peter!

A big welcome to E. T.

I may have something rather interesting that focuses upon Thomas Moore Teuton.

The whole family received payment from the Titanic Relief Fund. All the dependents were listed under C409 and placed under the jurisdiction of the Southampton Committee.

It maybe wise Peter to start viewing the Minute Book's of the Liverpool Committee and see what surprises are waiting to be discovered there. Just a suggestion but I am more than willing to give you ample amount of guidance support and plenty of assistance required. I have nearly completed all the details of the Southampton Committee.

There's no problems about contacting me privately.

Take care and once again a huge welcome to the message board.

Andrew W.

Dec 22, 2005
Hello James,
Many thanks for posting your message for me. Is there anything left of the old naval base at Buncrana ? Is there any possible chance that you could take some photos of the area for me, and of the waters just off the base ? I will, of course, be willing to pay you.

All the best

Pete Threlfall

R James

Jan 9, 2017
My name is Pete Threlfall, and I have been writing about the short life and sinking of the Laurentic (1909-1917), and subsequent salvage operation's. I have video footage of the wreck, photos of the ship; a diary from a former officer; about 50 images of crewmen (some poor-some excellent); photographs of family tombstones commemorating crewmen lost; charts of the area where the wreck lies.......the list goes on ! I notice that there has been some interest in the Laurentic memorial at Upper Fahan Church of Ireland churchyard. There are so many mistakes on this memorial, it's unbelievable! There is even discrepencies regarding actually how many men are buried in the mass grave......the memorial states one figure, and official sources state another....interesting, eh? I would like to contact anyone who has any documentation, photographs, or other memorabilia dealing with the Laurentic crew or the ship herself......or indeed, anyone who is just genuinely interested.
Hello Peter,
My great grandfather, John James died on the Laurentic however I have not been able to discover whether he was lost at sea or whether his body was recovered and, perhaps, buried in Ireland. Many reports appear to be contradictory. I note that you have much information regarding the crew and wondered whether you had any information regarding John James. He was with Able Seaman John James, 3127C Royal Naval Reserve.
Richard James

Mark Baber

Dec 29, 2000
Hello, Richard---

Please note that Peter Threlfall has not posted here in eleven years and he posted the message you're responding to in December 2005. You may well not receive a response from him

Martha

Dec 11, 2017
Hello Peter,
My great grandfather, John James died on the Laurentic however I have not been able to discover whether he was lost at sea or whether his body was recovered and, perhaps, buried in Ireland. Many reports appear to be contradictory. I note that you have much information regarding the crew and wondered whether you had any information regarding John James. He was with Able Seaman John James, 3127C Royal Naval Reserve.
Richard James
Hello Richard, I'm helping to research the stories of the men who lost their lives on the Laurentic, for a project by the Ulster Canada Initiative, based in Buncrana, Donegal, near where the ship was mined. The Ulster Canada Initiative has been commemorating these men in annual events over the past ten years. They have recently produced a video "The Wine Dark Sea" and an exhibition "Letters from the Laurentic" and in January this year, 100 years after the tragedy, welcomed 35 family members to a series of events and memorial services. A digital archive is currently being compiled, made public through a website. We have attempted to expand on the few details provided on the existing memorials to give a better understanding of the lives of those who died. By drawing together information from a variety of sources – from newspaper archives, military service records, census returns, and where possible personal family archives and oral history – we have tried to build portraits, however fragmentary, of the civilian lives of these men. These portraits vary in depth, but can perhaps still teach us something of this generation of men and how this event affected their loved ones.
To this end I am trying to contact descendants in order to tell the stories of these men more fully. I have been able to gather some information about John James. I know he was one of the men whose bodies were never recovered. I found a couple of newspaper articles about his death, one with a photograph of your great grandfather. You can contact me through the website contact page. We would very much like to hear from you and tell you more about the project. I am including links to the projects Facebook page, website and video.

The Laurentic Legacy
The Laurentic Memorial