Photo in Exploring the Titanic

Kevin Keating

Apr 1, 2007
Hello,

I was recently rummaging through my bookcase and I came across probably my first Titanic book, "Exploring the Titanic" by Robert Ballard. I took a trip down memory lane and I was looking through all the pictures when I came across one I've never seen before, but it looks interesting.

If anyone has the book, it's the bow view on page 43 - the historical view, to the left of the color ed wreck photo. It looks as though the picture was taken slightly aft of the prow, looking up. The sun is reflecting on the hawsepipe. It's an interesting picture and it looks as if it's only a small portion of a larger image - I was wondering if anyone knew what the complete information on this image was - i.e. what number it is (H----, however that works, you know.)

The photo credits in the book list it simply as "Harland and Wolff," which leads me to believe that it's now in the UFTM archives, but it's not found on the "Titanic: Built in Belfast" site.

Just curious if anyone else knows what I'm talking about and where I could see perhaps a higher-quality version!

-Kevin

Dave Gittins

Apr 11, 2001
It's a tiny part of a large photo that can be seen on page 55 of The Anatomy of the Titanic.

It shows the bow of a ship in drydock. I'm pretty sure it's really Olympic. The 'reflection' seems to be a fault in the photo. The hawsepipe is lower down and to the left.

A

Alexander John Cooley

one question on the historical view on the same page on exploring the Titanic it is the part on the most front of the bow section that looks to be apart of the keel but it kinda is in a oval shape. What part of the ship is that?

Dave Gittins

Apr 11, 2001
Alexander, I don't get you. None of the pictures on page 43 show any part of the keel. Can you make it clear which photo you mean?

A

Alexander John Cooley

It is the tiny black and white picture that shows a bulge in the front of the ship it kinda looks like a oval shape just under the forecastle deck

Kevin Keating

Apr 1, 2007
Alexander, is this the image you were referring to?

Unfortunately, I can't answer your question myself, I'm not sure which part you're talking about. There's three circular shapes in the picture that are on the ship itself (which is the Olympic) - and forgive me in advance for screwing up nautical terms which I know I'm going to do - the hawsehole(?) where the anchor is, the elliptical hawsepipe at the very stem of the ship (which isn't really pictured here except in the behavior of the sunlight), and a porthole underneath the forecastle. Are you referring to one of these or perhaps something else?

(Note: Forgive me if the image is copyrighted material, I'm never sure which laws apply to which images.)

[Moderator's Note: Edited link, due to width requirements. JDT]

A

Alexander John Cooley

It is circled

Thepartinquestion.png

And also please forgive me for I am just trying to get a question answered.

A

Alexander John Cooley

Well Now I may sleep better at night knowing what it is for. I have been pondering it for a very long time. Years to be more frank. And just now I get the answer to my almost age old question.

Thanks Dave, Keven, and Micheal (Names in alphabetical order)

If I do go ahead and build a large scale model of the R.M.S. Titanic.. I will have some special thanks to you three.