Photo Info Request: RMS Olympic

Leslie

Aug 31, 2017
Hi all,

I came across this photograph from Real Photographs Co. Ltd. and is, what I believe, of the RMS Olympic. I've tried finding more info on the company or what has become of it but I'm not finding much to go off of. When purchased, I was told that this photograph was from 1911.

Just looking for more information if anyone has any. Thank-you for your help!

IMG_2979.JPG
IMG_2980.JPG
IMG_2982.JPG

Harland Duzen

Jan 14, 2017
Welcome to ET Leslie!

This is RMS Olympic but this photo must have been taken Post-April 1912, as after the Titanic disaster, Olympic was fitted with enough lifeboats for all her Passengers and Crew which you can see along the entire length of the Boat Deck.

Either way, congratulations on finding a new (and valuable) photograph!

Dave Gittins

Apr 11, 2001
Definitely well after 1911. Note the impractical arrangement of lifeboats. Try launching that lot in an emergency! The practice of doubling up lifeboats wasn't banned until the 1960s.

At a quick look around, I found Real Photographs Co. Ltd began in the 1940s and published many photos, especially of aircraft. The collection was sold, perhaps in the 1960s and some was reportedly damaged. It's ultimate fate seems to be a mystery.

Leslie

Aug 31, 2017
Welcome to ET Leslie!

This is RMS Olympic but this photo must have been taken Post-April 1912, as after the Titanic disaster, Olympic was fitted with enough lifeboats for all her Passengers and Crew which you can see along the entire length of the Boat Deck.

Either way, congratulations on finding a new (and valuable) photograph!
Thank-you so much for your help! I really appreciate it and thank-you! It's proudly on display in my apartment!

Reactions: Harland Duzen

Leslie

Aug 31, 2017
Definitely well after 1911. Note the impractical arrangement of lifeboats. Try launching that lot in an emergency! The practice of doubling up lifeboats wasn't banned until the 1960s.

At a quick look around, I found Real Photographs Co. Ltd began in the 1940s and published many photos, especially of aircraft. The collection was sold, perhaps in the 1960s and some was reportedly damaged. It's ultimate fate seems to be a mystery.
Appreciate you looking! I came across the same info on Real Photographs Ltd. Co. but was hoping for a little more info (not from you, but in general) but like you said, the fate of it was a mystery.

I can't even imagine the procedure for launching those lifeboats!

Apr 30, 2009
While Leslie's photo may have been taken in the 1920s, that actual print is from 1971 at the earliest. On the reverse it says 'send 10 p for list'. The 10 p (ten pence) is from the UK's introduction of decimal coinage from 1971 onwards. If it was prior to this it would be written 10 d. The 10 p was the same value as the old two shillings/florin which seems about right for 1971. I believe that Real Photographs Ltd was the collection of J. Elder and it may( and I could stand corrected here) be that it eventually passed to Ian Allan the publishers.