Photo of Britannic's Grand Staircase Before and After

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 14, 2001
Hi everyone,

Here is a screenshot taken from the Cousteau documentary (1977).This is inside the Grand Staircase area.A large white object clearly visible despite the poor lighting.Remains of the white walls?Can someone help?

Best regards,
Michail

P.S:The re-designing of the Britannic website continues.I've made many changes and there will be new material to enjoy.Thanks for your patience.

Eric Sauder

Nov 12, 2000
Hi, Michail:

Do you know if these images are copyright free? Remember that posting copyrighted photos is a strict no-no and might get Mr. Hind into trouble....

Eric Sauder

Jan 14, 2001
Hi,

I guess they're not copyright free but they are details from TV-captures,not actual photos or complete TV-captures.I've seen similar images in Titanic research forums,so I don't think there is a problem.However,if Mr.Hind thinks that this is a copyright violation he can delete them anytime or I can repost them adding the source on the image.

Best regards,
Michail

Nigel Hampson

Jun 17, 2000
Hi Michail,
I thought you might be interested to see the picture you posted after I sent it through a couple of inhancement processes.

To me the object you refer to looks like some sort of twisted wreckage. It might have had a crusting of corrosion on it, which could explain the slightly white tinge to it, but not being a metallurgist I wont stick my neck out that far!!

Hope this is of interest,
Nige ((Usually a DF visitor!!!))

Jun 10, 1999
Nigel:

Nice job, I won't even bother to ask how you did it...a far cry away from p.c. skills.

However Mr. Sauder is correct...it is still a shame that we, as a very much enthralled group, should have to fear such a violation...

...afterall it is only the knowledge that we are seeking.

Michael A. Cundiff
USA

Mark Baber

Jul 4, 2000
Hello, folks---

All three images referred to above have been removed for copyright reasons.

Nigel Hampson

Jun 17, 2000
Re the Enhanced pics of Michails GSC picture.

As the pictures have been removed, if anyone who has not seen them is interested in viewing the enhanced version I did, subject to Michails permission, please either leave me a message or email me directly and I will be happy to forward the scan to you.

Nige

Jason D. Tiller

Aug 20, 2000
Niagara Falls, Ontario
Hi Nigel,

If it's ok with Michail, I'd be very interested in seeing that photo.

Best regards,

Jason
happy.gif

Jan 14, 2001
Hello everyone,

Nigel,thanks for enhancing the image.It looks much better.Feel free to forward the scan to whoever is interested.

I'd also like to say that I fully respect and support the decision to remove the photos.I don't want to cause any trouble to ET even if I'm still not sure if posting a detail from a screenshot consists a copyright violation.However,it's sad to see that only Nigel actually expressed an opinion regarding the object in the photo.Copyright issues are very important but by focusing exclusively on this we've lost the point.

Best regards,
Michail

Jun 10, 1999
What is the lifespan of a coyright, in regards to steamship memorabilia?
I recall Eric Sauder and I going over this a good time back, regarding a letter mailed from on-board LUSITANIA, with great content regarding a torpedo scare! In reality, it was the *taffrail* being deployed in 1915. Of this ON-BOARD R.M.S. LUSITANIA letter who pose's new ownership and by what right...high bidder on E-BAY?

Clue me...please...

Michael A. Cundiff
USA

Jul 9, 2000
Easley South Carolina
While I don't know the lifespan of a copyright, anyone with questions would do well to click on http://fairuse.stanford.edu/ and search for whatever you need.

Note that our interest in a particular subject or any material pertaining to same does not make it fair game for posting/publishing if a copyright remains in effect. Please tread lightly and if you make assumptions, err on the side of caution. In other words, if you don't know, then presume it is copyright protected.

Cody Gentry

Feb 6, 2008
A few years back, I surely remember seeing a photograph of one or two nurses posing where the 'Honor and Glory' clock should have been aboard the HMHS Britannic in the Grand Staircase, or not so Grand Staircase. Can anybody help prove to myself I'm not imagining anything? Anybody have a link or such? Please?

[Moderator's note: This message, originally a separate thread, has been moved to this pre-existing thread addressing the same subject. MAB]

Jun 10, 1999
In regards to copyrights, I too am curious. See my post #277 above. Also I shared a Maruetania log image, via ET forum, with Eric Longo. Having, myself, assumed that without my permisssion any member is free to use (e.g. book photo) it at his or her discretion.

Michael Cundiff
NV, USA

Status
Not open for further replies.