Photo of Collapible D

Tom Nelligan

Feb 19, 2008
Hi, I'm looking for any photos of collapsible D with the survivors in it. In particular I would like to know if all the people in the photos have been identified. I have found a few on the internet but they have little information. A relative of mine (Mary Kelly) was on collapsible D.

Thanks.

H

Holly Peterson

There's a fairly well-known one of Collapsible D that can be found in pretty much any Titanic book, as well as from typing in 'Collapsible D' or 'Titanic Lifeboat' on Google Images.

As for people in the lifeboats, I'm fairly certain that, in the standard photo of Collapsible D, the man standing up in the bow (or is it stern?) of the boat, leaning over with his hands on the rail, is Hugh Woolner. Also, Michael Peter-Joseph, a Lebanese guy who survived the shipwreck at the age of 4, would in later life look back at the picture and state that he was 'the little boy in the middle, with the cap on.'

Hope this helps, and as I don't think I've seen you here before, welcome to the board.
happy.gif

Tom Nelligan

Feb 19, 2008
Thanks Holly, I have been on here for about a year, but I'm a rare poster. My grandmothers sister was on collapsible D and I was hoping (probably in vain) to identify her. Thanks for your help.

Tom Nelligan

Feb 19, 2008
Actually, would you know if the Navratil children have been identified in this photo. It says in Senan Moloney's book 'The Irish On-board the Titanic' that Mary Kelly (my grandmother's aunt) looked after the children on the lifeboat before being rescued by the Carpathia. If I could Identify them then I could at least narrow down the search.

Bob Godfrey

Nov 22, 2002
UK
From the statements made by various people who had contact with the children, I'd place them at the stern. Certainly that's where Rene Harris was, and Woolner stated that he was 'eventually' sitting next to Mrs Harris. One possible contender for Mary Kelly is the standing figure in the hooded coat (back to camera), who is right next to Mrs Harris and appears to be holding something in her arms. But there's no way to be sure, Tom.

Tom Nelligan

Feb 19, 2008
thanks bob, that is very helpful.

At least I can narrow it down. I don't expect to every 100% identify her but it's good to narrow it down. Moloney's book says that she cared for the Navratil children on the lifeboat until they were rescued but I can find no other reference to this anywhere. Mary Kelly doesnt seem to have made any statement about the Titanic as far as I can tell.