Photo of dog in a Titanic lifeboat

S

Stephen Walker

Wow, that's a tough one, Senan--it's VERY faint. How about Mr. and Mrs. F.M. Hoyt? They were in that boat and the "Mr. & Mrs, F, M, and H" seem to match, but the rest of the name doesnt! It looks like the list was written down quickly--it appears to be all one person's handwriting.

S

Senan Molony

Yeah, that's what I think.

This couple had no children. If they boarded Collapsible D together, despite his claims of swimming and accidentally being picked up by his wife's boat, they might have also tucked up a canine.

We really don't know an awful lot about very many passengers, unfortunately...

M

monica e. hall

Well, I'm sure saving a child, or any human, over saving a mere dog is far more worthwhile, though the dog might not agree. Except it can't think - it's just a dog. But the dogs had no choice, of course.

But could it possibly have been a straight trade-off, given the circumstances of the sinking? A fairly aware dog versus a person? I don't think so. More likely a sentimental person and a dog who knew when death was looming.

It was utter chaos. Nobody said that dogs should get into lifeboats ahead of humans. If any dog survived, it was just sheer luck and the problem of the insufficient lifeboats.

I quite realise that it'd have been quite awful for anyone, in any class, to have favoured their dog over a human, when it came to survival. But I don't think that any evidence here suggests that. Some people might have chosen to die with their pets, however. Not very sensible, but it does happen. Some might have managed to save their pets, even though they never thought they'd be able to, but just because it happened.

I don't think this adds much to our understanding.

S

Senan Molony

>>Nobody said that dogs should get into lifeboats ahead of humans.<<

I can't count the amount of books that glibly claim that starboard boats followed "women and children first," yet port side boats were launched by Lightoller following a rule of "women and children ONLY."

Collapsible D is a port side boat. It was launched very very late by Lightoller, the same man who said he didn't leave the ship, but the ship left him.

Therefore it makes a mockery of this canon of "women and children ONLY" to have a dog saved in D to which, according to one of its occupants, "no one objected."

If it was hidden, Lightoller would not have known to object. If it was not hidden, its presence (and the poor occupancy of D overall, even when passengers were added when afloat from No. 14) calls into serious question the efficiency of the port side evacuation.

>>Some people might have chosen to die with their pets <<

I think this statement utterly ridiculous. It speaks to blithering idiocy... perhaps even the pets thought better of choosing to selflessly die with their owners.

If not, they were dumb animals indeed. One newspaper report has Madeleine Astor seeing terrier Kitty running up and down the deck, presumably in panic. Not sitting stoically guard with J.J. like Greyfriars Bobby.

Add to our understanding? Jeepers...

N

Nancy Bratby

To paraphrase a film...typical, first class dogs go into the lifeboats....

It appears to be sort of sandwiched between the two oarsmen and it is pure luck it happens to be looking straight at the camera.

I don't see what else it could be as I can't think of any other object, inanimate or otherwise in a Titanic lifeboat with eyes and a snout. In any case as we KNOW dogs were rescued then it's not outrageous, after all they had to be somewhere on a boat.

Should a dog have been rescued ahead of a human? Or another question, would a dog have taken up a human seat in a boat in any case? They would have been on the floor of the boat surely?

S

Senan Molony

K

kylee tetzloff

i love reading about the titanic. i will never forget about the huge ship.i hope noone ever for gets about the titanic.