Photo Shadow Mystery

A

Aaron_2016

Does anyone know what this dark shadow is on the Olympic in Belfast? I thought it was the shadow of the crane but the shadow does not go down to the ground. It appears to be in the area where the Titanic broke in two. Did the Olympic class ships have a weakness here or some kind of modification similar to the enclosure on A-deck which made that patch darker and needed another coat of paint? According to the newspapers the heavy machinery was removed from the ship in order for her to enter the dry dock owing to the weight of the ship. Did they remove a section of the ship to allow the removal of the machinery? When the Olympic was leaving Belfast after repairs she found difficulty passing the Titanic and it was decided to bring the Titanic back into the dry dock shortly before her trials so that the Olympic could depart. Could the small middle section of the wreck have been detached for the removal of her machinery and then reattached in a hurry so that she could depart on time, and this operation caused a weakness in the ship's design? Wild idea, but I always explore every possibility. Any ideas how they removed the heavy machinery after the ships were built?

Olympicshadow.PNG

Last edited by a moderator:

Harland Duzen

Jan 14, 2017
Careful Aaron_2016, Molony might be listening!

I pretty sure it IS the shadow of the crane and that the shadow is just being blocked at the bottom by the shed at the bottom of the 150 Ton Crane.

and a rough search on a Sunrise & Sunset calculator shows on May 29th 1911 Belfast between Sunrise at 03:33 and Midday, the sun would have been pointing between East and South.

Out of Interest, where did you find the HD Photo?

Mark Baber

Dec 29, 2000
Aaron, rather than copying photos from other sites and posting them here without attribution, please just post a link to the photo in the first instance. Thanks.

A

Aaron_2016

Will do. I usually zoom in and crop the photos owing to their size or clean them up with paint shop pro to make them more presentable. Will provide a link in future.

Mark Baber

Dec 29, 2000
Thanks. Even with edited photos an attribution (a) lets folks here know where you got them from and (b) properly recognizes the source site.