Photograph

G

George Whiteside

What did the Tudor room look like, does anyone have any ideas?

B

Brian O'Dell

The first Bill posted could refer to A-12. Does anyone have a postcard or photograph of the Collonial and Queen Anne? How did you come across such fabulous deckplans, Brian?

G

George Whiteside

Wow, that is really nice. But it might take me a bit to get used to it. haha.

Jan 5, 2001
Sorry. I meant to say thanks for the article, Mark. Lol.
No worries, Brian. I missed it earlier but you could argue it is merely a misplaced exclamation mark.

The first Bill posted could refer to A-12.
I think it does. There were only two Tudor rooms and the furniture matches A12 (the beds were close together); the colour image is clearly A23, which was a smaller stateroom (closer to the grand staircase) with a different furniture arrangement (the beds were at opposite ends of the room).

Does anyone have a postcard or photograph of the Collonial and Queen Anne?
I do, but they are not scanned in so I can't post them. Queen Anne was quite a light, plain style with some elegant touches. It was unique in that it was used four times out of sixteen (A9, A10, A17, A22). As for Colonial, the walls were quite striking in their scenery, and this style was only used once (A14).

Although this accounts for Modern, Tudor, Queen Anne and Colonial, there were other styles as well: one room in Adam (A24), two rooms in Chippendale (A20 and A21), two Louis XVI (A18 and A19), one Empire room (A7) and one Early Georgian (A11). With the exception of Colonial, all the rooms I have seen photographs for were in styles used at least twice; so I would certainly hope that there are more images out there for Chippendale and Louis XVI, if not the Adam, Empire and Early Georgian.

We know the decoration of original staterooms in some of these styles, which were photographed in 1911: for example, the sitting room of the B-deck [1911 lettering] starboard 'parlour suite' was in Adam; the first bedroom of the B-deck port side 'parlour suite' was in Empire. However, we only have to compare the new (1929) 'Modern' stateroom in Brian's photograph with one of the original 'Modern' staterooms to see that there could be marked differences. I would not be comfortable making any assumptions about the Adam style stateroom from 1929 and how it compared with the Adam style parlour from 1911. They might share a name or be loosely based on the same style, but the interpretation could be quite different. I think Daniel Klistorner has some examples of this as regards the original staterooms.

How did you come across such fabulous deckplans, Brian?
Hmmm...the B is closer to Bill's name but I'll answer it anyway.
wink.gif

As for my 1934 plans, I have a full set of notes somewhere, but if I remember rightly they were acquired in the late 1930s from an anonymous source by the late Kenneth Longbottom, a Cheshire maritime researcher. I think they passed to another researcher in the early 1990s, after his death, and I bought them in 2006. Through research articles and other projects, I'll be continuing to make the information available and share further images of the plans. They were of particular interest to me because they were issued in June 1934 by the White Star Line, which makes them the last such plans the company ever issued of Olympic's first class accommodation. Although it is always rash to make assumptions, as there were further changes into 1935, they represent essentially her final configuration.

Best wishes,

Mark.

B

Brian O'Dell

Man, I called you Brian again. Sorry for the confusion Mark. Thanks for the info, though!