Photographs of the dead

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

Jason Bidwell

Guys, no one is going to send you corpse-photos over email. If you want to see them so bad, just go to the library and check out Eaton & Haas's book and copy the pictures out for yourselves. Or better yet just buy the book: it would be worth the money, and you'd get a lot more besides pictures of the unfortunate C. Smith and #265.

C

Christine Geyer

Thank you Jason for your redemptive words. It's terrifying to see how unscrupulous someone can get just to stare at those poor souls.

Christine

R

Rolf Vonk

Actually I wished I never saw those pictures, cause I think they are horrible.

Rolf

H

Hydie Hoi-Yee Cheung

Hi guys! I am new here. Out of my curiosity, I was trying to look for some pictures of the bodies. But now I have decided to drop it. I found this sickening desire to look at those poor souls who had died in the disaster a shame to myself. Gosh.. my curiosity just wouldn't stop me from doing stuffs like that. :-/

- Yee

M

Mary S. Lynn

Just a thought...but it looks like the posts requesting scans of the dead bodies stopped in May of 2001. September of 2001 was just four months away, and nothing since has appeared until July 1 of 2003. Makes me wonder.

I am also a new poster, and am really interested in collecting books, videos, and DVDs on the subject. I'm really just beginning, and have found this site to be very helpful!

I'm just not into the Haley Joel Osmont "I see dead people" thing, but enjoy reading and hearing about survivor recollections and accounts.

Many thanks to those of you who have replied to my posts, and have e-mailed me with information. I just bought Geoff Tibballs' "Mammoth Book of the Titanic", and have enjoyed it very much. I know, I know. I have a long way to go! (...And promises to keep, and miles to go before I sleep, etc.)

I'm a Stateside Yankee with profound British hereditary connections, so would appreciate hearing any legitimate e-mails or on-board posts relating to the matter of the Titanic. Thanks to all!

Jul 9, 2000
Easley South Carolina
>>Just a thought...but it looks like the posts requesting scans of the dead bodies stopped in May of 2001. September of 2001 was just four months away, and nothing since has appeared until July 1 of 2003. Makes me wonder. <<

Mmmmmmmm....makes you wonder about what? The thread ran it's course, nobody had anything new to add, or lost interest and just moved on to other things. That's just how it happens on a message board. I wouldn't read anything into it beyond that.
wink.gif

M

Mary S. Lynn

> [Well, after finally figuring out how to do th e-mail reply, I have to agree with you. I noticed that you live in South Carolina and are a Navy man. I'm a very grown-up Army brat, a retired school counselor, and currently live in Alabama, but originally from Colorado. I'm not sure when I began to be interested in all this, but it's fascinated me ever since I was a kid. Thanks so much for your reply! I've noticed that you always have very interesting information to offer on this board!]

E

Esther Graf

Hi all! I am wondering why there are so much people who want to see photographs of the bodies... I'd prefer to see photos of survivors on the carpathia or in the life boats. Do any pics of that kind exist? If so, can anybody tell me where i can find them or send me an e-mail: [email protected]
Sorry, i don't speak english very well. I hope you understand what i write ;-)
Best wishes
Esther

H

Hydie Cheung

Hi Esther. Those kind of picutres do exist. I have just seen some pictures of the bodies from the PBS TV show "Secret of the Dead". It's good show by the way. It talks about how scientists use DNA techniques to find out the identities of three (or four?) victims. It also reveals how they find out the identity of the "unknown child" of Halifex in details. Watch it if you have a chance. =)

Love,
Hydie

T

Trent Pheifer

Hey Esther,

As Hydie said, there are many pictures taken aboard the Carpathia of the Titanic survivors. James and Mabel Fenwick were on their honeymoon, when the Titanic disaster occurred. They snapped most, if not all, of the many shots of the lifeboats approaching the Carpathia and many shots on deck... Some of the survivors pictured on deck are Lawerence Beesley, all the members of boat number 1, and some others.

They are some fascinating pictures! You can find them in almost any coffee table-style Titanic book. Eaton and Haas' Titanic: Triumph and Tragedy is a good source along with Titanic: An Illustrated History. Hope this helps!

-Trent

Inger Sheil

Feb 9, 1999
Hallo Wendy -

Could you please refrain from typing in 'ALLCAPS'? It's the net equivalent of shouting - ta.

Only a handful of photographs taken after the sinking survive, and these were mostly for identification purposes. It has been suggested - and perhaps someone could verify this - that not all the bodies were photographed.

I wish you every success in finding more information on your ancestor.

Jul 9, 2000
Easley South Carolina
Wendy, I would add that post mortum photos may be rather tough to come by. The only ones I've ever seen were in the Eaton & Haas book "Titanic, Triumph And Tragedy" and they weren't very pretty. The archives in Halifax may have some, and you might give them a try. Don't be too surprised if you can't tell much from them. Even in cold water, corpses don't keep very well. Still may be worth a shot though.

Bob Godfrey

Nov 22, 2002
UK
Photographs were taken in Halifax of most if not all bodies that had not been formally identified and claimed for burial by a family member or representative, even in cases where clear evidence of identity had been obtained from examination of personal effects. Exceptions were made when the features were very badly damaged and unrecognisable. The body of Mr Reeves probably was among those photographed, but as others have said these collections of prints were mostly discarded after a decent interval of time for claimants to come forward.

Jim Kalafus

Dec 3, 2000
A few years back a dealer on eBay tried to sell prints of the postmortem photos of Wendla Heinenen and an unidentified crewman. He claimed that they were originally in an 'album.' The auction was pulled, after protest, and the dealer never DID explain from where he obtained them.

Mar 18, 2000
To get back to the point - Wendy, speaking for myself, and probably the others here, we are not aware of any photos of body #280 being in existence. The few photos that have turned up are other people.

Fyi - the two photos that turned up on Ebay were #8 and #296.

J

Janet Tocqueville

There would be no point in trying to identify someone using post mortem pictures of a body that had been in water unless there was some very distinguishing feature.A body would be bloated beyond recognition from the effects of osmosis.

Mar 18, 2000
Not necessarily, Janet. I have seen a photo of Sigurd Moen's body in "Titanic - 31 Norwegian Destinies", and it looks pretty recognizable to me. His body was recovered on April 25th, just short of 2 weeks after the disaster. It is also well known that some of the other bodies were identified visually.

Jul 9, 2000
Easley South Carolina
Janet, it helps to know that the waters out there were very cold, and this would have the effect of a preserving a corpse for a longer period then what you would see in warmer waters. I've seen a couple of post motum photos myself, and while far from pretty, the features on the victims were recognizable.

Status
Not open for further replies.