Photographs of the dead

Status
Not open for further replies.
C

Christine Geyer

I've seen a few photos of the recovered bodies as well. Had I not known they were recovered from the ocean the idea had probably not struck me at all. Especially talking about Sigurd Moen, whom Bill already pointed out. And that photo of him wasn't taken directly after he had been recovered but even after his body was brought home to Norway.

Regards
Christine

Mar 18, 2000
Christine - I think I've seen another photo of Moen's body, though I can't recall where. I have too many books, and when I saw it, wasn't keeping track of things like I do now.

C

Christine Geyer

Hi Bill, At the moment I'm only aware of the one in Peter Sebak's "31 Norwegian Destinies". Was the one you saw earlier taken??

Regards
Christine

Mar 18, 2000
I seem to recall the other Moen picture was taken earlier than the one in '31', however, not being able to find it, I can't be sure. The other picture was clothed, as I recall, and not too much different than this one, other than camera angle.

James Hill

Feb 20, 2002
I`ve seen two photos of the bodies.One was that of a man dressed in white flannel clothes.The other was that of a man dressed in a black dining suite.The first man`s face looked red,as if he had a rash.He looked a well built person.The second man looked as though he was sleeping.He looked very peaceful.There seemed to be nothing wrong with his face or body.But when I saw them and even as I type this I get a horrible shudder.See`ing someone when there alive is much different from when there dead.By the way was body no 152.First Class steward James Colston Hill`s body photographed?I`m just curious I would never want to see the photo anyway.It would just stick in your mind for the rest of your life.

Ben Holme

Feb 11, 2001
Hi James,

Do you remember where you saw the photograph of the victim "dressed in a black dining suite"? The only victim photographs I've seen have been those of crew members, with the exceptions of Sigurd Moen and Wendla Maria Heininen, who were third class passengers. Although several first class passengers were recovered wearing evening dress, no photographs were taken of these victims, as far as I'm aware, as they proved easily identifiable at the time.

If you can remember where you saw that particular photograph, I would be most appreciative.

Best Regards,
Ben

Chris Dohany

Dec 12, 1999
It sounds like James is referring to the body photo of steward Charles Smith, published in Eaton and Haas' Triumph and Tragedy. Smith does appear to be wearing a nice suit, a sharp contrast to the flannels that other bodies were photographed wearing.

James Hill

Feb 20, 2002
I saw the photos in a British documentary Ghosts or Voices of the Titanic.It was on around November or December last year on channel 4.Did anyone else see this.

C

Cheryl Adair

Can anyone here give me any idea of just how many books have been published on the Titanic? I am sure there have been quite a few. I would like to start trying to collect some, any suggestions on which one to read first? (non fiction of course)

Concerning the photos you were all talking about, of the dead bodies that were recovered, can someone tell me when the last body from the wreck was recovered, and how far from the wreckage it was?

Thanks.

Bob Godfrey

Nov 22, 2002
UK
The last body in the numbered sequence compiled back in 1912 was that of steward W F Cheverton, which was identified and then buried at sea by the crew of the steamer Ilford. The body was still floating in its lifebelt about two months after the sinking and having drifted several hundred miles in the ocean currents.

More recently it has become known that the body of another steward, William Kerley, was found at about the same time by the SS Ottawa and again buried at sea after identification. For some reason he was not included in the official lists. Kerley was found on 6 June; Cheverton's recovery is generally dated only as 'June', so I'm not sure which was the last found (or if it matters).

The number of books published on Titanic must run into four figures. For suggestions of which of these are the most useful, see this thread (especially the archived sections). Keep in mind that not all of the books recommended are still in print, so they might not be easy to get hold of:

https://www.encyclopedia-titanica.org/discus/messages/5671/394.html?1076599061

C

Cheryl Adair

Thanks!
happy.gif

James Hill

Feb 20, 2002
I must admit photographs of the Lusitania`s victims were absouloutly horifying.A recent British 10 part documentary "The First World War" showed about four or five photos that made my stomach churn.

Aug 5, 2004
My Great Uncle was a Ships Fireman, Bert Copperthwaite he was listed as 22 and single, in fact he was 28 and married,I would love to get hold of the two photo's 92 & 278 to see if one of them looks anything like him are they still doing dna on any of the remains

M

Mia Lewis

Hi everyone!
James,
But you still looked at the photos didn't you? Even though they made you sick, you still looked. My point is that I don't think there is anything wrong with wanting to see pictures of dead bodies because it's not something you see everyday and we are naturally interested in the unknown. I read some posts on this thread from back in 2001 and people were saying that that it is a "sickening desire" to want to see pictures of something like that, I completely disagree. I think Its human nature and I think its interesting. I dont know why I felt the need to say all that..maybe in defense to someone thinking I'm "sick" because I have an interest in something morbid.

Layla

Aug 5, 2004
I only want to have a look to see if I could Identify Bert Copperthwaite, being an ex nurse I have seen a few bodies in my time it dosn't worry me

Mar 18, 2000
Yvonne - my records show that the photos you are looking for are in the book "Titanic: Touchstones of a Tragedy".

In general, most of the photos of the Titanic's dead have not surfaced - at least, I am only aware of a very few that have appeared.

Bob Godfrey

Nov 22, 2002
UK
It's certainly worth a try, Yvonne, as both of these bodies were wearing dungarees and thought to be firemen. If you haven't seen the lists of body descriptions on this site, No 92 had fair hair and moustache and was estimated to be about 30 years old. 278 had mid-brown hair and was estimated to be about 25. The sea does tend to 'age' a body, so 92 might be the more likely. I haven't seen the two photographs in question, but some of the others show features very clearly, certainly well enough for comparison with a family photo.

Ben Holme

Feb 11, 2001
Hi Yvonne,

As Bob points out, body #92 is a distinct possibility. From photographs I've seen, Copperthwaite had fair hair and a moustache, just as #92 did, and if, as you say, he was 28 at the time of his death, his candidacy for #92 is thus increased.

That being said, there were a great many fireman, greasers, and trimmers whose bodies were never recovered. Many of then, it can be naturally inferred, would also have fitted the description of body 92.

Best Regards,
Ben

Status
Not open for further replies.