Photos of The Big Piece

Feb 14, 2011
Some of the most exciting photos of ther 'Big Piece' I have seen are of the great artifact arriving in different cities, just outside the venue that will host a Titanic Artifact Exhibition. For those of you who have photos of the Big Piece being brought into the venue where a Titanic Exhibit took place, please post your images....
Here is one of the 'Big Piece' in Boston, 1998. freshly arrived from the wrecksite. In those days the Big Piece was caked with rust, still had traces of hull paint and woodwork. Plus it was in 1 piece- I miss the old girl....
after the boston exhibit the big Piece was cut into 2 sections.
I have plenty of photos of the Big Piece Ill post on this thread- most of which i snapped in st. paul in 1999.

regards

Tarn Stephanos
118736.jpg

Feb 14, 2011
The Big piece was in a water tank at the Titanic Artifact exhibition in St. Paul MN (1999)- This was the exhibit where Titanic's whistles were sounded...After the exhibit closed, we drained the tank- here is a pic of yours truley posing by the Big Piece- St. paul, 1999
118739.jpg

Feb 14, 2011
Here are some pics I snapped of the inboard area of the waterclosets of cabins C79 and C81 on the Big piece....
118744.jpg

118745.jpg

118746.jpg

Feb 14, 2011
Here is snap of the Big Piece being erected on the scaffolding in Boston, 1998- Joe Carvalho snapped this one...
118749.jpg

Feb 4, 2007
Denver, Colorado, United States
Here are a few shots from the RMS Titanic Exhibition in San Francisco that ran from June 10th 2006 through January 27th, 2007. Sorry for the image quality, they are newspaper scans from the San Francisco Chronicle, 5/20/06.

View Image

View Image

I particularly enjoy the rather redundant comment by Tom Zaller, vice president of Premier Exhibitions. "When you see this standing up, you feel like you're next to the Titanic." -DUH!

Feb 14, 2011
I suppose standing next to the Big Piece would be like standing next to the titanic- as it was part of the Titanic....
It is a case of stating the obvious..
Ill post some mopre Big Piece pics, I hope others out there can add to the thread...

regards

tarn Stephanos

Apr 21, 2007
Tarn- I would do anything to touch the BIG PIECE. The only Titanic I've touched was at an artifact exhibit and it was through a little hole. The piece itself was only the size of my hand. LUCKY!

Nov 26, 2005
Nice to see the main bulk of it. A few years ago I attended the Dallas exhibition, which only featured the lower portion that they decided to cut away from the rest of it, still in it's "rusty" form; though when I touched it, (yeah, I'm one of those that just had to pull a no-no and step over the rope touch it a couple of very quick times). It did seem to have some sort of coating like a polyeurothane (have no idea how that's spelled) protecting it.

It is odd seeing it painted it's original color. Looks like they even added a bit of the yellow line up toward the top where it apparently was supposed to have been.

Harland Duzen

Jan 14, 2017
The Big piece was in a water tank at the Titanic Artifact exhibition in St. Paul MN (1999)- This was the exhibit where Titanic's whistles were sounded...After the exhibit closed, we drained the tank- here is a pic of yours truley posing by the Big Piece- St. paul, 1999
Tarn Stephanos, do you by chance know the approximate location of ''The Big Piece'' on the wreck site?