Photos on their obituarys

Andrew Maheux

Dec 4, 2000
I was wondering, When the survivors passed away. Did any of them have photos of them accompanying their obituary? I know that Arthur Peuchen had a photo of him with his obit in the Toronto Star.

I was wondering if there were any in the New York Times?

Thanks

Andrew Maheux

Apr 16, 2001
Hi Andrew,

Off the top of my head, there was an image of Mrs. Madeleine Fiermonte (1940) and Dr. Henry Frauenthal (1927) at the time of their deaths as reported in the New York Times. The Times is particularly selective about whose pictures are featured in their obituary section. Notables such as Mrs. Widener, Mrs. Thayer and Lady Duff Gordon and others rated long detailed obituaries but no pictures were included.

Other large newspapers carried photos of local people when they died - for instance, Charles Emil Henry Stengel and Elmer Taylor both in the Newark (NJ) Evening News in April, 1914, and May, 1949, respectively.

Interestingly, it seems there were more images of Lusitania survivors in the NY Times when they passed away than those rescued from the Titanic. If I'm not mistaken, I recall Ogden Hammond, Wallace Phillips and George Kessler.

Hope this helps.

Mike Findlay

May 12, 2005
Andrew,

The Times didn't carry an obit photo of Lucy Duff Gordon but the New York Herald-Tribune, the New York American, and other newspapers did. In England, many papers featured images of her, notably the Daily Sketch which ran one on its cover. By the way, obits in the Times, while the most accessible, are not always the most informative or interesting, I've found.

Randy

Apr 16, 2001
Hi Andrew,

One more to add....Richard Norris Williams 2d was pictured in his 1968 obituary in the New York Times - standing on a tennis court with a racquet in hand. A different picture was used in the Philadelphia Inquirer - a more formal pose.

While Mrs. Rothschild had an non-photo obituary in the Times in 1943, her picture was featured in the Newark (NJ) Evening News death notice in addition to Stengel and Taylor. A copy of that image is included in her biography on this site.

If I find any other photos, I'll be happy to let you know.

Very best,

Mike Findlay

Arne Mjåland

Oct 21, 2001
In St. Petersburg Times, FL. obituary about Titanic survivor Arthur Olsen March 1 1975 there was a picture of him, probably taken late in his life.
There were pictures of Agnes and Beatrice Sandstrom in Swedish newspapers when they carried obituaries of them. I will publish some more examples here in a few days.

Apr 16, 2001
Hi Andrew,

I don't know when the photo that appeared in Stengel's obituary was taken but given his death in 1914 (just two years after the Titanic disaster) I suspect it probably was fairly close to the time before or after the disaster.

The photo of Madeleine Fiermonte (Astor) was taken in 1937 I believe - three years before her death. I think the photo of Frauenthal was taken about ten or fifteen years prior to his death.

The photos of Taylor and Rothschild were later life images but the one of R. Norris Williams 2d was captioned "photo taken during one of his tournament plays in New Jersey during the 1930s."

As Arne mentioned, there were scores of other newspapers that carried photos of survivors when they died and all were not exclusively first-class. There was a photo of Celiney Decker (Yasbeck) in the Norfolk (VA) newspapers at the time of her death in 1966. Marshall Drew in the Westerly (RI) Sun in 1986, and of Maude Sincock Roberts in the Hancock (MI) paper in 1984. The majority of them were images taken in later years and not at the time of the sinking, although the Akron Beacon-Journal printed a photo of Joan Wells at the time of her death in 1933 along with a smaller picture taken around the time she survived the Titanic.

More grist for the mill....

Very best,

Mike Findlay

Jul 14, 2002
I can shed a little light on the most recent survivors' obituaries according to the New York Times. Eva Hart, Edith Haisman and Eleanor Schuman all had pictures with their obituary. All three pictures are taken very late in their life. Michel Navratil and Winnifred Quick Van Tongerloo did not have a picture with their obituary. In fact, Winnifred's obit is extrememly short in comparison to the others.

Apr 23, 2002
There was a picture of Mrs Tongerloo in her obituary somewhere on the web. I remember looking at it at the time, although I cannot remember at which website it was.

Andrew Maheux

Dec 4, 2000
Wow, Thank you. Its great knowing that some of the more elusive passengers had nice surprises.

regards,

Andrew M.

Arne Mjåland

Oct 21, 2001
I have read through my collection of obituaries of Titanic survivors, and I have seen photos on those:
Youngston Telegraph January 31 1920 Mrs, G, Wick.
Waterford newspaper around Dec. 16 1939
Patrick o Keefe.
Richmond Times Dec. 21 1940 and The Progress-Index, Petersburg VA Dec. 21, R.W. Daniel.
Racine Journal Times Dec. 16 1952, Mrs Emerson.
Acron Beacon Journal April 27 1955, Mrs E. Wilkes.
NB Herald May 2 1955 W.T. Sloper.
Warren Tribune Cronicle Jan 3 1957, Ellen Nummi.
The Minneapolis Star July 23 1959, J.P. Snyder.
Amsterdam Record (U.S.A.) July 28 1959, Marie C. Young.
Southampton paper Dec. 30 1965, Ernest Allen.
Barometern, Kalmar May 24 1962, H. B. Steffansson.
Haugesund Dagblad Dec. 4 1962 and Haugesunds Avis Dec. 3 196, Bernt Johannessen Bratthammer.
Southern Evening Echo Jan. 11 1965, Frederick Fleet.
Southampton paper Feb. 15 1964, Walter Hurst
Panthograph Jan 14 1965 Mrs. Merchele (Caldwell)
Southern Evening Echo April 6 1965, G.W. Beauchamp
Basler Volkblatt Sept. 5 1968, Max Staehlin.
Westerly Sun, June 3 1970, Lulu Ophie.
Honnefer Zeitung 1972, Alfred Nourney.
Southampton paper Jan 19 1973. Arthur Lewis.
Southampton paper Feb. 16 1974, George Rowe.
Hull Times Nov. 6 1974, Edmond Ryan.
El Paso Times 1975, Meyer Moore.
Unidentified paper Nov. 11 1975, Mary C. Wellmann.
Flint Journal June 30 1976, Anna Thomas.
Fyens Stiftstidende March 19 1980, Karla Petersen.
Worchester paper 1983, sister Mary Patricia.
L.A. Times Dec. 4 1984, Edwina Mackenzie.
Hampshire paper June 1 1983 Sidney Daniels.
Standard Times New Bedford June 13 1992, Marjorie Robb.
Echo April 15 1992 Bert Dean.
N.Y.T. March 11 1998 and The Courier News March 9 1998, Elanor Schuman.
Jan 2001 Montepellier newspaper, Michel Navratil.
Most of the photos are clear, and seem to be taken late in the survivors lives.
Except the photo of Ryan from 1972. And the three I mentioned Jan. 8. here.

Inger Sheil

Dec 3, 2000
In at least one instance Harold Lowe's obituary was accompanied by a photo - the familiar image based on a photo now in his family's collection of a portrait shot taken during WWI in his RNR uniform (reproductions of the same image also appear in Dave Bryceson's book and also 'Triumph and Tragedy').

Pat Cook

Apr 27, 2000
I have only seen one obit for Lawrence Beesley (sent me by one generous Molony) published in the "Echo", which did not include a photo - only 3 short paragraphs, listing him as a Titanic survivor and former teacher at Dulwich.

F

Filipe Prista Lucas Rodrigues Lopes

Dear Mr. Greg Robertson,

There was an obituary for Mrs. Winifred Van Tongerloo with her photo in www.tech.org/~cleary/NNC/nncmain.html. The photo was the same as the one shown in the Titanic Historical Society site.

Filipe

Mar 15, 2001
Filipe, that photo of Mrs. Tongerloo is no longer on the website and it just takes you back to ET. I also have a question, why aren't there more photographs of passengers in the biography section?