Photos taken on April 15th, 1912

Arteggra

Apr 24, 2012
Hello everyone, so basically I just set up a profile to get your expert opinions.. I know that there are no photos of the sinking and I know how heavy cameras were in the early 20th century but I have to confirm this anyway.

A friend of mine, a really old, really nice man, is moving and while cleaning out his house he gave me a photograph (and the negative) of the titanic sinking because "he knows I am into maritime history" (which I am). Of course I inquired how he got it and he said he knew one of the survivors who back in the 60s bequethed him the negative since he was a journalist and also, on his request, wrote him a letter confirming that he (the survivor) had taken the photo from one of the lifeboats.

In short I have a photo, negative and letter and, while the photo is quite convincing, I am convinced only someone living under a rock would have kept this in storage for 50 years. Also, considering the 100th anniversary just passed it seems..odd. But stranger things have happened and I have known him for ages.

So what do i need to do to figure out where this photo came from? The national archives? Photo forensics? Titanic historical society?

Thanks in advance for any help!

Dec 2, 2000
Easley South Carolina
>>I am convinced only someone living under a rock would have kept this in storage for 50 years. <<

Not necesserily. A lot of photos find their way to attics and shoeboxes to be forgotten. Keep in mind that interest in this ship has waxed and waned quite a bit over the years and I think I'm on reasonably safe ground when I believe that it wasn't for Walter Lord jump starting the whole thing, the interest today just wouldn't be there.

Of course, I could be wrong. Even as the future never reveals itself until it becomes the present, the past doesn't reveal it's alternatives. We can only guess at that.

Concerning the photo itself, I find it unlikely in the extreme that it could be the Titanic sinking. Film was expensive and required a LOT of light to get a useful image. The only way to know for sure would be to have it examined by an expert in photography. If it is the real thing, it would represent quite a find!