Jan 31, 2001
I believe they were in the first class reception room when the piano was shown; there was one in there. Actually, the piano shown in the film was on an underwater set.

Cheers,
happy.gif

-B.W.

S

Stefan Christiansson

There was also one in the aft second class staircase on C-deck. At least there was one in this location on the Olympic.

I believe I have seen a photo of a piano at the aft first class staircase as well. But I'm not sure about this.

Matt Simons

Mar 12, 2005
The Titanic Movie shows a box piano in the First Class Dinning Room and I believe there was a piano (as seen in Ghosts of the Abyss) in the First class Reception Room. I heard in a book there were 5 grand pianos on board.

Shane Worthy

Aug 12, 2004
Matt is correct, there were five pianos onboard the Titanic.
There was one located in the First Class Reception Room and another also located in the First Class Lounge. Combine this with the one in the First Class Dining Saloon, Second Class Dining Saloon, and the Third Class General Room and you have your five pianos.
Also, no there were no pianos located in any of the suites. The piano in the movie was on a submerged set, as was said before, and was supposed to be in the Reception Room. On Cameron's 2001 dive, the piano was never found, although a large mound with a curved piece on top could indicate that it is still there, although when you are there you tend to see things and let your mind get carried away.
All Ahead Full!
Shane N. Worthy

Dec 7, 2000
All,

There was no piano in the 1st class Lounge on Titanic or Olympic. Actually Olympic did get a piano in her lounge, but that was in the late 20's, during her 1928 refit.

The pianos were located in:

* Boat deck, 1st class Grand Staircase foyer
* D deck, 1st class Reception Room (grand piano)
* D deck, 1st class Dining Saloon
* C deck, 2nd class foyer (outside Lounge)
* D deck, 2nd class Dining Room
* C deck, 3rd class General Room.

Olympic originally also had a piano in her a la Carte Restaurant as well, but that was eventually decided to be unnecessary and it was soon removed.

Regards,

Daniel.

Feb 7, 2005
Thanks, Daniel, for confirming what I thought was true--that there was a piano located in the Boat Deck 1st Class Grand Staircase foyer. Wasn't it supposed to be on the port side? In Cameron's movie I tried to spot it, and thought I caught a glimpse of it, but wasn't sure.

Denise

Jul 20, 2000
Hello Daniel,

The updated piano locations is appreciated.
* Boat deck, 1st class Grand Staircase foyer - An unexpected and strange location.
* C deck, 2nd class foyer (outside Lounge) - Also an unexpected location.

Dec 7, 2000
Lester,

I'm surprised that the piano locations are a surprise! :) I don't think that the word "piano" is indicated on the deck plans in the port side grand staircase foyer, but that object seen on plans in the fore port corner of boat deck, is not a couch with a table, but a piano.

Here's a plan of the 2nd class C deck accommodation. The red cross indicates where the piano stood. While it is not indicated on this early plan (May 1911) a 1911 photo of this area shows the piano there.

95056.jpg

Regards,

Daniel.

Jul 20, 2000
Greetings Daniel,

Thanks to your earlier post by making use of Bruce's plans I was able to locate the 6 pianos.
I am still surprised at pianos being placed in entrances/foyers.

Regards,
Lester

Dec 7, 2000
Lester,

I think the foyers were quite a good place to have the pianos where the band played together with the sound spreading throughout the various decks.

The first time the band played every day was in the 2nd class C deck companion from 10 - 11am, after which time they played before lunch in the 1st class Boat Deck area from 11am - 12pm. That was the only time during the day that the band played in the Boat Deck foyer. The other times it alternated between the 1st class Reception Room, and the C deck foyer again.

95080.jpg

Regards,

Daniel.

Jul 20, 2000
Hello Daniel,

Thank you for that. Most informative. I was not aware of the band playing at those times in those locations.

Regards,
Lester

Jun 4, 2003
Hello everyone!!! Just another question: if one of the passengers in any class would like to stand up and play something in the piano or order a tune to be played during dinner or afterwards, would that be possible? I seriously doubt it, though!!! Thanks anyway!

[Moderator's Note: Two separate threads addressing the same subject have been combined here. MAB]

Sep 28, 2004
Hi Guys

Not sure whether this would be of much assistance, but one of Welch's images of Olympic's Boat Deck Grand Staircase area held at the UFTM shows the very far right hand edge of the upright piano located on the Boat Deck, to the left of Honour and Glory.

Cheers

Stu

Eloise Aston

Feb 24, 2009
What's the source for there being 5 pianos? Is it based on the number on the other ships?

I only ask because (through a helpful translator and the German Titanic Society!) I've found that Steinway apparently provided the Titanic with 5 grands and 3 uprights, and wanted to know what anyone else knows about it and whether it sounds reasonable. The source is apparently someone who works for Steinway & Sons Hamburg.