Picture in Titanic and her sisters book

M

Matt Pereira

On page 135 theres a picture of what is listed as Titanic at the Thompson Dry dock. I just wanted to know IF that is Titanic or if im right and its Olympic.

From the look of it the rear B deck is open too far (Titanic had most of aft B deck enclosed in the picture on page 133)

Then the D deck gangway doors have a single round porthole. Ive seen one REAL Titanic door in person and its a dual ovaled door (The door I seen in person is the D deck gangway door that was left open during the sinking the one that feel to the sea floor not too long ago and was raised by Titanic Inc.)

So am I right and this is Titanic`s older sister Olympic or was this before the other picture. (I figure this picture was taken after the one on the previous page considering one funnel is painted black at the top and on the previous page none are painted)

On page 168 and 169 are pictures of the First class smoking room well One is Titanic and the other is Olympic and if im not mistaken i have the proof.

On page 169 look to the left of the pillar you see fancy chair and a love seat next to it. Then on page 168 if you look to the right of the pillar closest to the picture (would be the same one on that you see since the picture was taken off the hallway next to the table along the funnel uptake) In that picture it shows what appears to be a curved wall that is covered in the same material as the rest of the seats but it fits flush with the floor and is a soild piece but in the picture on page 169 its not there but everything else is the same from what i can tell.

On page 171 of the Cafe Parisien, One picture is what appears to be taken more foreward than the other but the problem is on the wall off in the distance (the forewall that is near the door leading into the Aft firstclass stairway) there are two doorless cabinets in the lower picture and only one large one centered in the upper picture. The lower picture has a protrusion wall on both sides with a oval opening right where the double door to the large room on B deck aft of the First class Staircase and the double door is missing in that photograph. The windo placement are all the same and im using the window placement to locate how the picture was taken. In the second lower picture theres appears to be a hanging Ivy pot holder hanging on the trellis but in the upper photo there isnt one on the very edge of the picture. At the top of the arches theres a circle between the arch and the Retangular top of the trellis, On the outboard side of the ship theres mini protrusions along the wall but the above photo dosent have them.

M

Matt Pereira

The diagram below marks off the location that each picture was taken in. The location marked by the number 1 is where the lower picture was taken. Number 2 is where the upper picture was taken. One picture can not be a before completion and one after completion photograph cause the Upper photo graph with out the walls and that has the double doors in place has Ivy already on the trellis near the grouping of those 3 windows. The lower picture dosent have Ivy yet. Also the Ceiling on the upper photo has a large ridge running fore to aft, the lower image dosent.

111787.jpg

M

Matt Pereira

I figured one was Titanic and the other was Olympic I have always seen both listed as either Titanic or both listed as Olympic. Didnt know which was which but I was going to look into pictures of Olympic`s through out her life.

Now what about the smoking room. I would post the pictures in question that is in the book that are simmilar but have a major difference which I belive one is to be Titanics and the other Olympics (not sure if they claim theres a picture of Titanic`s smoking room or not), but i cant post the pictures for copyright issues.

Dec 7, 2000
Matt,

What pages are you referring to for Smoking Room images? There are two images on pgs. 168 and 169. Both are from Olympic taken in 1911 but just different views of the same room.

Daniel.

M

Matt Pereira

On page 169 look to the left of the pillar you see fancy chair and a love seat next to it. Then on page 168 if you look to the right of the pillar closest to the picture (would be the same one on that you see since the picture was taken off the hallway next to the table along the funnel uptake) In that picture it shows what appears to be a curved wall that is covered in the same material as the rest of the seats but it fits flush with the floor and is a soild piece but in the picture on page 169 its not there but everything else is the same from what i can tell

Unless those two pictures were taken at different dates their not both of olympic

M

Matt Pereira

Could be the double love seat chair seen in the picture on page 169 but from looking at it the legs are very short on the wall or what ever that is in the picture on page 168, so short it cant be any chair for that matter. Also werent the chairs bolted to the floor? I heard somewheres that funiture including chairs and the like were bolted down to prevent movement in heavy seas. looking at the legs it looks like they could be bolted but if their not i guess this wouldnt help but if they were bolted then the chair on the far side of the nearest table is off center of the table but in the picture on page 169 its even with the edges of the table the arm rest sides i mean.

Dec 7, 2000
Matt,

I don't know if the photos were taken on the same day, but both are from the H&W collection and both were taken in 1911 and are of Olympic's Smoking Room.

What you're seeing as a "wall" on the pg.168 photo is just an illusion. That is the back of the sofa/settee, which is the same one you see on pg.169. It is the same height off the floor, but as there is no leg in that area, and that small leg you can see is the forward leg which is why it looks like it is very low off the ground, which it isn't.

Regards

Daniel.

M

Matt Pereira

Ok well if thats the sofa chair then where is the chair which is supposed to be between the column and the sofa chair as it shows in one picture but in the other picture there is no chair plus it dosent look like the sofa chair the top of the back dosent appear to be the same and i dont see no arm but then again the angle isnt that great but it still dosent change the fact that the supposed sofa chair (if thats what it is) is next to the column but in the other picture theres a chair on the side of the sofa chair.

Damon Hill

Jun 13, 2004
Hi Matt, If you look at a floor plan of Olympic's Smoking Room, you will see the location of all the furniture, which should sort this out for you. Make sure it is a plan of Olympics Smoke Room though and not one of Titanics, as the arrangement of the furniture in this area of the Smoking Room was different on the two ships.

M

Matt Pereira

Daniel yes that dose help looks like the sofa now, but the question still remains where is the arm chair that is supposed to be to the left of the sofa (when viewed from behind) the other image shows a single seat plush chair between the sofa and the column support I can not see the chair i figured it was a chance of being the sofa but its odd that the chair that is supposed to be between the sofa and the column isnt there.

M

Matt Pereira

well guess its nothing cause looking at the picture again the "chair" is acctually another sofa, isnt another chair in the room that has sides just like that. Guess its just eyes playing tricks wanting to see and find something like i did on the cafe

Dec 7, 2000
Matt,

Now I know what you mean. I wasn't sure which plush chair you were talking about as all I could see were two sofa's. That was only your eyes playing tricks on you, as that sofa viewed at an angle probably looked like a high back arm chair to you.

I think there were similar styled arm chairs like that in the room, but those two were definitely sofa's.

Daniel.

M

Matt Pereira

I see that now, at the time when i saw them the angle which the picture was taken it made the sofa look wide enough for only one person but i noticed the back of the sofa which i thought was a chair looked exactly like that of the second picture from behind and the sofa off to the left of it in the first picture.

Dec 7, 2000
I just had a look at my photos, and while there were high back arm chairs in the room, they were not the same style as these sofas.

Daniel.