Pictures of cold rooms?

Jul 8, 2018
Hello, is there any known pictures of olympics or titanics cold rooms? Its one of the rooms that i can't find a pic of.

Also, another question, aside from the Harding's "Litosilo" deck sheathing, was there any insulation between the walls of the ship? survivors and other ships reported seeing bits of something floating in the water a few hours later.

Kyle Naber

Oct 5, 2016
was there any insulation between the walls of the ship? survivors and other ships reported seeing bits of something floating in the water a few hours later.
Yes, they used a specific type of cork to insulate the uptakes. This pretty much blasted out of the ship during the breakup.

Athlen

Apr 14, 2012
The walls of the cold rooms were insulated with granulated cork.

I doubt there are any photos of the cold areas on the Olympic class ships. It's one of the spaces that wasn't considered interesting enough to take photos. The same goes for the mail room, the hospitals (there were 3), practically all the crew accommodations, and so on. Titanic: The Ship Magnificent has a couple of representative photos taken aboard other liners in the 1910s, and that book is so thoroughly researched that the absence of a photo from the Olympic class usually means that no photos exist.

Jul 8, 2018
Yes, they used a specific type of cork to insulate the uptakes. This pretty much blasted out of the ship during the breakup.
Wasn't that granulated cork? which is like a paint? how would that "blast out of the ship" during the break-up?

Also, kyle i love your work, is there anyway else i can contact you? thanks!

Kyle Naber

Oct 5, 2016
Wasn't that granulated cork? which is like a paint? how would that "blast out of the ship" during the break-up?

Also, kyle i love your work, is there anyway else i can contact you? thanks!
Most likely, the breakup opened up the ship in a way that when the stern went under, the pressure difference between the air pockets in the aft section of the ship and the surrounding ocean crushed it out and it flaked huge chunks off which floated to the surface (Also for everyone else, I’m NOT the Kyle affiliated with Titanic: Honor and Glory).

Jul 8, 2018
Most likely, the breakup opened up the ship in a way that when the stern went under, the pressure difference between the air pockets in the aft section of the ship and the surrounding ocean crushed it out and it flaked huge chunks off which floated to the surface (Also for everyone else, I’m NOT the Kyle affiliated with Titanic: Honor and Glory).
Well every room beneath the water line was painted with this stuff, and the engine room got ripped so i guess that where some of it flaked from.

And yes i'm sorry for mistaking you for T:HG kyle.

Anyways, i want to get back on to the topic of the cold rooms, I've never been in a cold room but i can guess that the walls are just lined with the condenser coils and the compressor is outside (in this case, the engine room), i guess i'll have to go off of a picture of a cold room on a ship of that era, another thing is that there is 2 vents (seen as part of the forward 2nd class staircase deckhouse) that go down to cold rooms, what are these for? are they for venting gasses generated by food?

Mar 18, 2008
Germany
Yes, they used a specific type of cork to insulate the uptakes.
Do you have any more information about this?

The red coloured cork which was floating on the water surface was the isolation from the cooling rooms which were at the stern and imploded a few hundred feet below the surface.

Jul 8, 2018
Do you have any more information about this?

The red coloured cork which was floating on the water surface was the isolation from the cooling rooms which were at the stern and imploded a few hundred feet below the surface.
As mentioned above, the insulation for cold rooms and other rooms was granulated cork, which i believe has a yellow appearance.

If red stuff was sighted floating in the water, then it could of been "Harding's Litosilo" basically a special-type of cement that sets like plastic that was used as a deck sheathing, it was used in all rooms and covered by lino tiles or carpet, but some 3rd class areas and crew areas did not have any sort of lino or carpet, just the litosilo, which could be ordered in any color the client wanted but for titanic it was a pinkish-red color, you can see it in the rat scene in Cameron's movie, when the ship imploded, it went everywhere but eventually it all sank, there were probably linoleum tiles floating aswell but they were probably too small to spot.

Mar 18, 2008
Germany
I don't think it was Litosilo (I think Harding'S Litosilo was on nearly every deck if I remember the advertisement for it right) as it was described as cork. Some of it find it's way into collapsible A and some survivors had them stuck in their hair and was mentioned to be cork.

I am now not quite sure about the colour of the cork mentioned, I think it was mentioned to be red.

Jul 8, 2018
I don't think it was Litosilo (I think Harding'S Litosilo was on nearly every deck if I remember the advertisement for it right) as it was described as cork. Some of it find it's way into collapsible A and some survivors had them stuck in their hair and was mentioned to be cork.

I am now not quite sure about the colour of the cork mentioned, I think it was mentioned to be red.
If you look in BR #6 in T:HG you can see that the first few feet from the tank top on the bulkheads and shell plating is painted red, anything above that is the yellow stuff, so maybe there's a little bit of confusion going on here.

Mar 18, 2008
Germany
If you look in BR #6 in T:HG you can see that the first few feet from the tank top on the bulkheads and shell plating is painted red, anything above that is the yellow stuff, so maybe there's a little bit of confusion going on here.
Yes now I am confused. I think it was about Harding'S Litosilo and cork, not sure why the Boiler Room is now mentioned.
I do not know what T:HG have or did not have.

Jul 8, 2018
Yes now I am confused. I think it was about Harding'S Litosilo and cork, not sure why the Boiler Room is now mentioned.
I do not know what T:HG have or did not have.
The walls in all boiler rooms and engine rooms were coated with granulated cork, in the demo for the upcoming video game "Titanic: Honor and Glory" the cork is yellow, but I've noticed that the first few feet of all bulkheads and shell plating from the inside is painted red, i was wondering if the red stuff was also a cork or just paint, since the cork that was reported seen in the water was apparently red, not yellow.

B-rad

Jul 1, 2015
Tacoma, WA
I've never seen a picture of Olympic's or any other ship with cork in the boiler rooms. Wouldn't that be a fire hazard? One stray amber... IDK. I know from references that there was some instillation in the machinery bulkheads, with silicate cotton being preferred, but never cork or anything in boiler rooms.

Dec 4, 2000
Paint with granulated cork was sometimes used to prevent "sweating" of cold metal in a warm environment. The corked paint was sort of a thermal break. I recall seeing it many years ago, but never recently. It probably wasn't all that much more of a fire hazard than ordinary oil based paint in 1912. Linseed oil, turpentine, tung oil, etc. weren't exactly fire resistant.

-- David G. Brown

Reactions: B-rad
Jul 8, 2018
I've never seen a picture of Olympic's or any other ship with cork in the boiler rooms. Wouldn't that be a fire hazard? One stray amber... IDK. I know from references that there was some instillation in the machinery bulkheads, with silicate cotton being preferred, but never cork or anything in boiler rooms.
As David said, there are lots of possible fire hazards on a ship like titanic, i should imagine the reason for the smoking rooms having linoleum and not carpet was an attempt at reducing a fire hazard if someone drops a cigar, but i'm pretty sure that linoleum burns aswell.

There was probably more insulation then just granulated cork, but i cannot confirm, i also should imagine that any electrical wires going through the bulkheads were caulked.

There was a lot of stuff that blasted out of the ship during the sinking, and the insulation was no exception.

Jul 8, 2018
I haven't seen the demo also I do not rely on H&G.
I am more wondering about what the use/purpose was to have such walls in the boiler rooms?!
Titanic: H&G is very accurate (one of the most accurate models of the ship).

If your asking why the walls were painted with cork, read the posts above, but if your asking why the walls were painted red at the very bottom, i do not know, but i will get a screenshot later.

Mar 18, 2008
Germany
Titanic: H&G is very accurate (one of the most accurate models of the ship).

If your asking why the walls were painted with cork, read the posts above, but if your asking why the walls were painted red at the very bottom, i do not know, but i will get a screenshot later.
Actually I was hoping for a primary source which mentioned the walls were coated with granulated cork.

Reactions: B-rad

B-rad

Jul 1, 2015
Tacoma, WA
The h&g team have also publicly said that they do some inaccuracies so that if anyone duplicates their model they will have such inaccuracies. Not saying that this is the case in this matter but something we should all keep in mind. ;)

Reactions: Harland Duzen