Pictures of cold rooms?

Dec 4, 2000
Never guess. Look it up, then you won't have to open your mouth to change feet.

In my post above I assumed that cork insulation would have properties much like other forest products. 'Tain't so. Cork is in U.K. fire class B2 which means "extremely fireproof. A class A material is incombustible while a class F means it burns like a box of stick matches in Hades. This fire retardant nature is retained by cork granules typically poured between the walls of cold rooms and such in the early 20th century. So, the timber walls of Titanic's cold rooms might burn, but not so the cork insulation.

What's odd is that cork dust burns with a hot flame. Back in the day dust was used to fire boilers to power factories that made cork products. And, cork dust has been added to some explosives. Not to say that cork doesn't burn, it does. The kindling temperature is above 200 c (392 F)

Another property of cork insulation is that it is considered "unattractove" to mice and termites. Now, termites are not much of a problem in a steel hull vessel, but mice...well they might just like to gnaw on some of the contents of a cold locker. Cork is also waterproof and resistant to damp and rot, according to the manufacturers.

And...it floats.

-- David G. Brown

Reactions: 1 user

Laura B

Nov 5, 2019
SF Bay Area
Hello! I know this is not a super current thread, but I'm so grateful to find it I'm hopping in anyway, in hopes that this Q is interesting to you all.
Can any of you smart folks help with some clarification on the matter of cold room insulation?

1. Re cold room insulation - Cork: Several folks have stated that the interior walls of cold rooms were coated with granulated cork (which apparently had a yellowish color). Can someone point me to a primary source for this? Much obliged!

2. Re cold room insulation - Silicate Cotton: A few periodicals of the time state that the White Star cold rooms were insulated with "silicate cotton." How would this partner with the granulated cork to insulate the rooms?

REF: Cold Storage and Produce Review, Volume 2, 1899 (end of selection):

REF: Industrial Refrigeration, Volume 17, 1899 (see end of 1st column):

3. Re cold room insulation - Walls: The cold rooms (at least on the Orlop Deck) have double walls on the deck plans. Was the space between walls A) empty, B) full of brine pipes, or C) full of insulation? If C), which type of insulation?

Many thanks for any guidance here!