Pictures of the Titanic's Dead

Mike Herbold

Dec 13, 1999
Ben:
You will enjoy Alan Hustak's book. In re-reading his account of Molson taking his shoes off, I notice he doesn't say who witnessed it. The wording is similar to the wording here on ET, but more detailed.

I glanced through a number of the classics (ANTR, Maiden Voyage, Davie's book, all the Eaton & Haas', TNLO, and Illustrated History), and even some of the knock-offs, but I haven't seen any other reference yet to Molson's removing his shoes. I'm glancing through various testimonies now to see what the source might be.

Alan, if you're out there, let us know.

Mike Herbold

Dec 13, 1999
Ben:
Just re-read one of your earlier postings on this thread. That was very astute of you to notice that Richard White was supposedly observed taking his shoes off, but yet his body was recovered with white shoes on.

Steve Santini

Nov 22, 2000
Re: Pictures of Titanic's dead...
Hello, my name is Steve Santini and I am the author of a new book titled : "Titanic: Touchstones of a Tragedy". On page # 59 in the book there are two pictures of two bodies of Titanic victims which were recovered by the Mackay Bennett. These bodies appear as they were laid out for identification in the Halifax Mayflower Curling Rink. The bodies in question are numbers 92 and 278. Notations on the back of the pictures in pencil speculate that at least one of these men was "possibly a fireman". These pictures were optained from a private source who still retains two other Titanic victim pictures. This leads me to believe there may have been, at one time, a sort of "scrapbook" which held the photographs of numerous unidentified victims. This book would have been used to assist in possible future identification of the then unknown deceased. I just thought I would mention this bit of info to any interested parties. Kind regards, Steve Santini

Jul 9, 2000
Easley South Carolina
Hi Steve, I already have your book on order. Amazon seems to be taking their own sweet time getting it to me though. (Would this be due to recent publication?)

In any event, I'm looking forward to reading it.

Cordially,
Michael H. Standart

B

Ben Thomas Sebastian Holme

Hi Mike,
"Titanic, The Canadian Story" came through the post a couple of hours ago!! I have had a skim through and it looks fantastic. Large print, plenty of photos and insights into their personalities.
Davie's book isn't too detailed about the Canadians. However, it's great if your interested in the Thayers (which I am).
have you read "A journey through time" by Eaton and Haas. It makes a pretty good read (despite mentioning that funnel #1 fell around the same time collapsible D was lowered.
I hope Hustak's book will make a great weekend read!
Best Regards
Ben

Eric Sauder

Nov 12, 2000
I wrote to Alan Hustak to ask him for the reference for Molson taking his shoes off. He says that he thinks it was Major Peuchen, but he's going to have a look and find the newspaper article.

Eric Sauder

B

Thanks Eric,
If Penchen saw this, it must mean that Molson jumped off the ship very early i.e before most of the boats were lowered as Peuchen left in boat #6.
Ben

B

I have just finished readin"Titanic-the Canadian story". It was a fascinating read! I wonder if the second class boy who was deterred from boat #14 by Lowe was George Sweet age 14.
It also describes how most of them met their deaths (Molson, Ross etc) which is poignant

D

Daniel Rosenshine

I had also contacted Allen and he said it was Peuchen, however as Mike Herbold points out he was already off the ship. Either "the last that was seen of Molson" refers to a time before Peuchen left the ship or Peuchen heard that someone saw Molson and he happened to be taking his shoes off.

Daniel.

Dmitry

Apr 27, 2011
So, I understand that none exactly know where keep more then 100 post-mortem photos? May be they located in Nova - Scotia Archives, White Star Line Archives or Private Collections...

Jen RN

May 8, 2018
Pennsville, NJ
I know this is an old thread, but does anyone think #265 is Ernest William Hamblyn? After seeing the deceased picture of the unidentified man in Triumphs and Tragedy, I started flipping through images and immediately zeroed in on him. Then I noticed Mr Hamblyn was a bedroom steward, and the unknown description says "possibly bathroom steward". Anyone else think it's possible? His living picture is on page 79.