Pilot's cabin

hopkirk

Apr 15, 2013
I gather that a cabin would be permanently reserved for the ship's pilot in case he was unable to leave the ship. Can anyone tell me exactly where it was on Titanic?

A

Andrew Williams

I have the autobiography of George Bowyer - Titanic's Pilot. Despite all of my best efforts of trying to locate the actual cabin, I see good old Ioannis has come to the rescue. Funny thing is Ioannis, George Bowyer never confirms anything in his book on,or even about Titanic. I would imaine this like many for that generation remained under the worldly word of "taboo.............., no-go-area". So your interaction of coming forward has answered a satisfactory answer swinging more towards my corner Ioannis. Many thanks and three cheers for Ioannis.

Mar 22, 2003
Chicago, IL, USA
www.titanicology.com
Andrew, what does his autobiography have to say about Olympic and the Hawke collision?

PilotCabin.gif

Arun Vajpey

Apr 21, 2009
The interesting thing with that picture is that the Captain's "Sitting Room" is so much larger than the Pilot's Cabin.

Rob Lawes

Jun 13, 2012
England
The poor pilot if he needed to use the little boys room would have had to cross through the wheelhouse and down the port side passageway to the officers lavatory.

A

Andrew Williams

Samuel - thanks for coming to the rescue. I am sometimes a bit lazy to check the deck plans.

In the case of George Bowyer's encounter of the Olympic and Hawke episode. Only 65 pages of his life was published and on page 37 he makes a brief mention but not a great deal in the way of vivld details of who was at fault with who. Unfortunately I experienced a power surge some year back and haven't even bothered to replace my last scanner with a brand spanking new one. To set the record straight I shall write word for word on how George describe the incident back in 1911.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"LIVELY AHOY."
REMINISCENCES OF 58 YEARS
IN THE
TRINITY HOUSE PILOTAGE SERVICE
BY
GEORGE W. BOWYER
Page 37.

During the whole of my career I have met with two mishaps, namely, the "St. Paul" - "Gladiator" collision on April 25th, 1908, and the "Olympic" - "Hawke" collision on September 20th, 1911. Only those who have passed through an ordeal of this kind can appreciate the worry at the time. In the first case I had to attend, with Capt. Passow and officers, the inquest on the poor souls who lost their lives from the "Gladiator." The inquest was held at Godden Hill Fort, Isle of Wight, and, soon afterwards, the civil trail was heard at the Law Courts, London. Again, after the civil trail, the court-martial was held on board H.M.S. "Victory" moored in Portsmouth Harbour. I cannot express my feeling in writing, when I stepped from the top of the "Victory" gangway on her deck. Then, through the three days that it lasted, expecting at any moment to be called to the board room, it was even worst than waiting in the Law Courts in London.
It is all very well for people who are not concerned in this case kindly to tell you not to worry; this is impossible, however much you feel that you are in the right. I had a clear conscience in both cases that I was right, and still hold a clear conscience, which nothing on earth can alter.
Through the "Olympic" - "Hawke" case, the late Capt. E. J. Smith, the officers, and I told the truth and nothing but the truth. It was taken to the House of Lords, but the verdict was not altered, the "Olympic" losing the case. However, the company thought we were right, and I have piloted the "Olympic," the "Homeric," and the "Majestic," hundreds of times, up to my retirement on December 31st, 1929.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

That Samuel is word for word on how George describes the episode. As one can see, he's rather limited and he certainly never confirmed anything to do with Titanic.

Hope that gives you a brief insight to his world as one of he many of the Pilot's of Trinity House.

A.W.

Mar 18, 2008
Germany
Hi Andrew, nice to see you here!

Yes Bowyer avoid the Titanic (if my memory is right there is also not about Britannic). He shared his experience with Titanic somewhere else but can not remember right now.

Was going to post the same about the Hawke collision.

Reactions: 1 user
A

Andrew Williams

Actually Ioannis, I found a unique cutting on Bowyer when he made his last visit to Southampton in the year of 1943. Looking very very old, and drawn and horified at the state of Southampton after the deverstating air raids of 1940 and 1941, he's seen standing outside the south-side of the main Civic Centre. A fabulous article which I shall get another copied and if you are interested then please give us a shout.

A

Andrew Williams

My pleasure Sam. Took a closer look at Beaumont's autobiograh, but his account is slightly didn't with no mention of the Olympic and Hawke incident. The only fact he confirms is when the Olympic arrived at Southampton she attracted loads of visitors. Half-way through, one notices a didn't tone of romance is in the air, as his gives a gripping account of the rich and famous he met on many of his travels on the high seas.