Pipeline Diagrams

Mykwin

Oct 19, 2017
Hi there, I've done a search of the Forum but come up blank.
Are the shipyard "as built" pipeline diagrams available online?
I can find other plans such as the G.A. and deck plans but no pipe drawings.

Thanks

codad1946

Apr 28, 2016
Malaysia and Philippines
I have tried for years to find these, even asking H&W people who came to Glasgow to give a presentation. None exist. I find this strange as the shipbuilder usually has a couple of copies, the owner (WSL in this case, and later Cunard, 2 copies) and the ship itself, 2 copies. I am really surprised that Olympic's last Chief Engineer didn't take the ship's schematics away with him when he took her to scrap. I have written a series of "ship starting" docs (one of which is Titanic/Olympic) to show how to start the ships from cold. I have done a few hand sketches of seawater and feed systems which I was going to fully size up and then draw. I'll get round to it one day once a building project is out of the way...
If you want a copy of the starting docs, PM me on Messenger/FB under "Stephen Carey - lives in Philippines".
By the way, the only drawings ever found were auctioned a while back and fetched thousands - it was a large blueprint of the piping systems on the hull (it said "plumbing" which could mean anything), but not schematics which are far more instructive. More a piping layout on the whole length of the ship than individual drawings of the systems.
I think you can contact me via this site as well, not sure how, try clicking on my name under the photo?

Reactions: Mykwin

Mykwin

Oct 19, 2017
Thanks for that Stephen, that is very odd. As you say there would have been at least 4 copies of them for both vessels, OK 2 of the Titanics would have been lost, but there would still have been 6 definitive copies around.
I'm a Marine Engineer and so would like to see exactly how it was meant to operate, I've only just got interested in The Titanic, but I can see from the various forums, FB pages etc that many of the "Experts" have no actual Idea of how they worked, they just repeat what other people have written, even some of the "Reference" books are completely wrong on some aspects.
I shall message you on FB as I would love to see your Starting Docs.

Thanks

Rancor

Jun 23, 2017
but I can see from the various forums, FB pages etc that many of the "Experts" have no actual Idea of how they worked, they just repeat what other people have written, even some of the "Reference" books are completely wrong on some aspects.
I once had something of a disagreement with a gentleman at a steam/vintage engine festival a few years ago, as they were explaining to me how the centre turbine on the ship provided the electricity. I've heard this claim around a bit and even seen it repeated in otherwise quite accurate documentaries. I'd be interested to know where this claim came from.

Dec 2, 2000
Easley South Carolina
Gents, there may have been all kinds of copies of the piping diagram along with electrical circuit diagrams and the like from the builder. They didn't *just* make things up as they went on every single detail. The problem is that a lot of these plans and records simply didn't survive the century which followed in any archive. You see the same problem with a lot of Royal Navy warships of the period.

Mykwin

Oct 19, 2017
But the Deck plans, G.A. etc seem to have survived, so why not the piping diagrams?

Dec 2, 2000
Easley South Carolina
>>But the Deck plans, G.A. etc seem to have survived, so why not the piping diagrams?<<

Why do ANY plans and documents survive over time and some don't? The answer is (Rips open envelope)...that's just the way it goes.

No, I'm not copping out or being a wiseguy at your expense. The reality is that time as well as human fallibility comes into play and for these reasons, records are often misplaced, misfiled, or for reasons known only to the guy running stuff to the shredder or the landfill, destroyed.

It may not make any sense to us but it does happen that way.

Tbates

Nov 4, 2017
Hi, I found some engine room piping layout plans / sections for the Olympic and a copy of that plumbing elevation online. I have PDF copys of them, that too large to post, PM me if u would like them. That being said I contacted the UFTM and they dont seam to have any piping, electrical or machinery drawings surviving from H&W, I have a full list of plans that do exist.
- Tom