Planned OceanGate Expedition to Titanic

Nov 14, 2005
Micro ROV's would be my solution. With the tech today they could engineer them. Maybe the size of a soup can or so. Program them to act auto and to take as many pics/video as they can. Once there done they could retrieve them on the surface. It would only take time and money. They are companies now launching hundreds of micro satellites not much bigger. And my latest smartphone that I bought for under $50 has at least hundreds if not thousands of times more compting power than the puters used on Apollo. Maybe have to have them work in tandem/pairs...one little bot dedicated for lighting the spaces.

Reactions: 1 users

Cam Houseman

Jul 14, 2020
Maryland, USA
Micro ROV's would be my solution. With the tech today they could engineer them. Maybe the size of a soup can or so. Program them to act auto and to take as many pics/video as they can. Once there done they could retrieve them on the surface. It would only take time and money. They are companies now launching hundreds of micro satellites not much bigger. And my latest smartphone that I bought for under $50 has at least hundreds if not thousands of times more compting power than the puters used on Apollo. Maybe have to have them work in tandem/pairs...one little bot dedicated for lighting the spaces.
And perhaps these “new breed” of ROVS could go in the limited space of the stern! maybe the pool??

Cat

Oct 8, 1999
Kent
The technology has certainly come far, and I'd say wireless could be possible with AI intelligence showing it's power even on smartphones. The main obstacle here is funding, and the only way I see the funding happening is if the OceanGate Expeditions draw enough attention from their findings to do so. The 2019 images painted a bad picture from what little we saw of the bow, so I dread to think how the interior of the wreck looks now. For now we'll have to sit tight and see how these scans go and how bad of a shape the ship is in to see if it would even be possible or if too much would have collapsed. I've read OceanGate plan to do this annually to document the deterioration of the wreck, so if TV companies want documentaries, ROVs for entering the wreck would be presumably what they'd like, and if there's a curious enough science team who can get a hand of these ROVs, we might just get the last chance to see what's left on these inside areas that we've been unable to get into. I remain hopeful but the chances here are slim, so we can only wait and see.

Nov 14, 2005
The technology has certainly come far, and I'd say wireless could be possible with AI intelligence showing it's power even on smartphones. The main obstacle here is funding, and the only way I see the funding happening is if the OceanGate Expeditions draw enough attention from their findings to do so. The 2019 images painted a bad picture from what little we saw of the bow, so I dread to think how the interior of the wreck looks now. For now we'll have to sit tight and see how these scans go and how bad of a shape the ship is in to see if it would even be possible or if too much would have collapsed. I've read OceanGate plan to do this annually to document the deterioration of the wreck, so if TV companies want documentaries, ROVs for entering the wreck would be presumably what they'd like, and if there's a curious enough science team who can get a hand of these ROVs, we might just get the last chance to see what's left on these inside areas that we've been unable to get into. I remain hopeful but the chances here are slim, so we can only wait and see.
Yes chances are slim for that in the short term future. I just threw the micro rov idea out there as a possible solution. It would take time and lots of money. I'm sure someone else has thought about something like that. But if they are planning yearly expeditions maybe down the road. But your right about the time factor. They would need to do it as soon as possible.

Cam Houseman

Jul 14, 2020
Maryland, USA

Yes chances are slim for that in the short term future. I just threw the micro rov idea out there as a possible solution. It would take time and lots of money. I'm sure someone else has thought about something like that. But if they are planning yearly expeditions maybe down the road. But your right about the time factor. They would need to do it as soon as possible.
They really need to go back ASAP. Shoot, imagine if we were in charge. You, me, Cat, and Jrboi, we'd do a James Cameron expedition lol.

I agree about the 2019 situation. I'm worried about the interior, and her structure. the Starboard currents do a lot of the decay, I bet. I wonder how much has been done to the exposed decks in the starboard gash.

Oh, I learned some info the other day, James Cameron in 2005 were able to send his bots down the hallway that leads to the Lounge and the Reading and Writing Room! Although they were only able to get at least 2 windows down the hallway. I wonder if its crushed now..

Reactions: 1 user
Nov 14, 2005
They really need to go back ASAP. Shoot, imagine if we were in charge. You, me, Cat, and Jrboi, we'd do a James Cameron expedition lol.

I agree about the 2019 situation. I'm worried about the interior, and her structure. the Starboard currents do a lot of the decay, I bet. I wonder how much has been done to the exposed decks in the starboard gash.

Oh, I learned some info the other day, James Cameron in 2005 were able to send his bots down the hallway that leads to the Lounge and the Reading and Writing Room! Although they were only able to get at least 2 windows down the hallway. I wonder if its crushed now..
Yes. Not sure what expedition it was but I remember one where they couldn't go further because the tether cords were going to get snagged so they stopped in order not to lose their rov's. Hence the idea for small autonomous tiny bots to roam around and take pics. In the end maybe its not practicable but I don't see any other way to get in some of the spaces minus cutting holes in deck/hull plates. That's probably never going to happen.

jrboi

Oct 5, 2020

I've actually been building a ROV, since I live in New Hampshire, to go down most big lakes and rivers, but were gonna need ROV that doesn't get crushed;)

• Wow