Plate negative coming up for auction but is it Titanic

imabrit2

Nov 12, 2019
cape coral florida
This is coming up for auction in the UK in the next few weeks once in a while I come across posted that's believed to be Titanic but I do not think this is as it looks like too many lifeboat davits.

Its described as follows

Plate Negatives of The Titanic, the clinchers would seem to be the arrangement of the windows along 'A' and 'B' decks. Titanic's windows, on 'A' deck, were enclosed as an after-thought, to better protect passengers, following lessons learned on Olympic, although the photo shows these open, the ship is still under construction at the time, (men can be seen working on the upper deck) so the windows may have been filled in after she was launched. Titanic's bridge wings were also extended slightly, to offer better visibility. The ship at the dockside has extended bridge ends.

Attachments

• titanicd.jpg
    titanicd.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 243
B

Bob_Read

This is Olympic undergoing her immediate post WWI refit. The dead giveaway is the u-boat lookout platform higher than the crow’s nest. It was added during WWI to increase the warning time when a u-boat was spotted. Titanic never had this feature.

Reactions: 1 user
B

Bob_Read

There are other aspects that identify it as Olympic such as the number of lifeboat davits but a complete inventory really isn’t necessary since this a pretty easy identification.

imabrit2

Nov 12, 2019
cape coral florida
I figures such with the davits as I have an photograph of the Olympic at dock with the davits and I counted the same number.

My great great great grandfather James Kirkham went down on the Titanic he was a grease on the ship

Scott Mills

Jul 10, 2008
Indianapolis, Indiana, United States
This is coming up for auction in the UK in the next few weeks once in a while I come across posted that's believed to be Titanic but I do not think this is as it looks like too many lifeboat davits.

Its described as follows

Plate Negatives of The Titanic, the clinchers would seem to be the arrangement of the windows along 'A' and 'B' decks. Titanic's windows, on 'A' deck, were enclosed as an after-thought, to better protect passengers, following lessons learned on Olympic, although the photo shows these open, the ship is still under construction at the time, (men can be seen working on the upper deck) so the windows may have been filled in after she was launched. Titanic's bridge wings were also extended slightly, to offer better visibility. The ship at the dockside has extended bridge ends.

Wasn't there a motion picture cameraman on Titanic with a camera? I recall reading somewhere that he was filming when Titanic and New York narrowly avoided colliding in South Hampton. Of course, any film captured went down with the ship, and has since dissolved away.

When I was a kid I fantasized that someone would find it, and somehow be able to restore it. :D

Of course, this is completely tangential to this thread; however, its what I immediately thought of when I saw it.

Seumas

Mar 25, 2019
Glasgow, Scotland
Wasn't there a motion picture cameraman on Titanic with a camera? I recall reading somewhere that he was filming when Titanic and New York narrowly avoided colliding in South Hampton. Of course, any film captured went down with the ship, and has since dissolved away.

When I was a kid I fantasized that someone would find it, and somehow be able to restore it. :D

Of course, this is completely tangential to this thread; however, its what I immediately thought of when I saw it.

You are correct there was indeed a man filming aboard the Titanic.

Tim Aldrich

Jan 26, 2018
Wisconsin
The dead giveaway is the u-boat lookout platform higher than the crow’s nest. It was added during WWI to increase the warning time when a u-boat was spotted. Titanic never had this feature.
I'll bet that it was a rather unpleasant climb up to that platform. Imagine being up there in a heavy sea.

Mike Spooner

Jan 31, 2018
There is book TITANIC OR OLMPIC WHICH SHIP SANK by Steve Hall, Bruce Beveridge, Art Branscewiger and Mark Chirnside which tells you all the different between the two ships. Surprising how many changes were made to. As in the plate negative there were changes on deck C&D to. Dead ringer is the Olympic.