Please Help ET

Status
Not open for further replies.

Philip Hind

Editor
Staff member
Sep 1, 1996
England
ET is open to all without restriction, and this isn't going to change, But, lets face facts, it costs money to run a site of this size and someone (not mentioning any names) has to cover those costs. I have tried advertising banners but these simply haven't been taken up so it is necessary to try something else.

Software, certain documents and pictures for biographies and articles cost money to licence. We've been extremely fortunate in that most of the material on ET has been provided without charge but cannot rely solely on the goodwill or assumptions of fair use it is important to respect commercial as well as intellectual rights. If we do so, working together and investing together we can continue the expansion and improvement of Encyclopedia Titanica as the main resource for Titanic research and discussion on the web.

Cost increases for 2003 have been mainly in the fields of web hosting and image licencing. For example, ET had to pay licencing fees for the colour artwork in the recent Senan Molony article. We could have relied on the free black and white version but I hope that you'll agree it was worth the extra effort and investment to use a really good quality print.

Therefore I am appealing to all users of ET (especially regular users - you know who you are!) to please subscribe to the site at a cost of just £1 a month. This is less than most Titanic societies, far less than a daily newspaper! To put this in perspective, if you look at a single page on the site be it a summary, biography, document or message board page it will be costing you about 0.005 of a penny.

Please do help ET by committing just £1 a month (payable in one annual sum of £12 UK Pounds, $20 US Dollars or 17 Euros.)

To pay in UK pound sterling click here

To pay in US dollars click here

To pay in Euros click here

If you do not wish to use a credit/debit card please contact me privately.

Beth Barber

Jun 7, 2001
Phil - I tried to contact you privately but when I clicked on e-mailing to admin I get a message stating that no private e-mail will be accepted. My e-mail is [email protected] I would like to contribute but I don't want to put my financial info over the net. Please e-mail with instructions on how you would like to receive my donation. Thanks - Beth

Philip Hind

Editor
Staff member
Sep 1, 1996
England
Hi Beth,

I can always be contacted through the email link on the home page. I try to channel all enquiries through there.

I'll drop you a line about how to subscribe. It's not exactly a donation since I do hope to be able to offer subscribers something a bit more as time goes on.

Thanks

Phil

Jul 9, 2000
Easley South Carolina
I've already signed on to this, and was pleased to see that PayPal is not at all difficult to use. I hope others will sign on as well. ET has a lot to offer and I've learned quite a bit from it over the last three years. With our support, I trust that the best years are ahead of us.

John Clifford

Mar 30, 1997
I, too, signed on: my payment has been processed, c/o "The Mouse-tercard".
No, Phil, this does not give any one pause to refer to this as "A Mickey Mouse Outfit".
grin.gif
smile.gif
queasy.gif

Inger Sheil

Feb 9, 1999
A very small price to pay indeed for one of the most superlative resources either on or off-line - and kudoes to you, Phil, for not compromising on quality. As soon as I've sorted out whether I'll be using my UK or Oz visa and settled details of the account I'll work out a contribution.

Jason D. Tiller

Aug 20, 2000
Niagara Falls, Ontario
I'll be contributing to this as well, after Christmas. I've also learned so much here the last three years, that's it the least I can do.

This is the best Titanic site around and the more people that sign up for this, the better.

Best regards,

Jason
happy.gif

Dennis Smith

Aug 24, 2002
Phil,

I'm more than happy to pay my way on this site. I obviously don't want my credit details appearing on these pages, so could you advise me how to pay over a secure link, or could I send you a cheque?

Please advise - I'd hate to see this site go under.

Best Wishes and Rgds

Dennis

Philip Hind

Editor
Staff member
Sep 1, 1996
England
This page contains links to a secure server where you can safely enter your details.

https://www.encyclopedia-titanica.org/subscribe/

No information is passed to me or through this site at all. My sincere thanks to those who have subscribed already, it is a tremendous help. I'll be getting in touch soon with more details about the additional options the site will offer to subscribers.

C

Christine Geyer

Have subscribed as soon as I received your mail. If there's any site on the web that deserves it then it's truly this one
happy.gif
Couldn't write much in the last month but I'll come back more often again from now on. Promise.

Regards to all of you
Christine

Mar 20, 2000
Phil wrote: "I do hope to be able to offer subscribers something a bit more as time goes on."

With all due respect, what you offer is WAY more than enough to justify subscription. I'm having trouble accessing the PayPal link from the site so am sending payment by mail and happy to do it.

Best holiday wishes to you and ET,
Randy

Dennis Smith

Aug 24, 2002
Cheers for the info guys, I'm now a fully subscribed member, and very pleased to be so !!!

Thanks for the link Phil, I hadn't noticed it in your earlier post, sorry.

Best Wishes and Regards

Dennis

Status
Not open for further replies.