Please help me in my search

H

Helle Nielsen

Hi there!

I´m looking desperately for information, which can help me in my search.
I would like to write a book about the suvivors from the Titanic, but I don´t know who to contact in order to give me the permission to go ahead.

I hope that someone can/will help me. I will be most gratefull...

Helle

Kyrila Scully

Apr 15, 2001
South Florida
Dear Helle,
I own about 50+ books about Titanic and her survivors, and I know there are literally hundreds more in and out of print. As a writer myself, I don't want to discourage you from your project, but what angle do you plan to write from that hasn't already been covered? Feel free to contact me directly at my private e-mail address.
Regards,
Kyrila

H

Helle Nielsen

Dear Kyrila

I´m glad that you responded and don´t worry, you didn´t discourage me. I´m from Denmark and want to write a Titanic book in Danish. There are so very few good books in Danish, and I want to give the Danish people an opportunity to learn true facts about the ship and her survivors. Have you written about the Titanic???

Helle

Dec 12, 1999
Hello Helle,

Another "Nielsen" in Titanica land! Hallelujah! It's a small world, isn't it. My great grandfather was from Denmark. In the San Francisco area, where I'm located, "Nielsen" is quite a well known name. For some reason lots of Swedes, Danes and Norwegians located out here. A huge pioneer family named "Nielsen" is buried in Dublin, California --about 25 miles from San Francisco. Many descendants of that family are well known, and play prominent public roles. That's "Dublin" California, not "Dublin" Ireland.

Frankly, I don't understand why you think you need "permission" to write a book on the Titanic disaster. If you're going to write a book for yourself, or want to start writing and researching, you don't need anyone's permission.

But if you want to sell the book commercially, you will need permission to utilize excerpts, photographs, etc., from other sources --if those appear in your book in its final form.

Just to start your research, I don't think you need any permission from anyone. May be I don't fully understand your question.

If you utilize excerpts, or portions of your book closely resemble another book, you must obtain permission (from the copyright owner) to publish such things in your book, when it is in final form.

Several members on this board have published books on the Titanic, or been involved in such. You might address David Brown, Pat Cook, or Geoff Whitfield. If you write to Alan Ruffman in Halifax (check the museum links for his address), he's a pleasant and helpful person --who has also published in this field.

By the way, why don't you join the San Francisco Titanica website. We have several distinguished members, including some one from the Swedish Radio there. The site contains lots of research links, and there is a message board as well (http://communities.msn.com/jshomispictures).

Good luck with your research. Congratulations on the name.

Kyrila Scully

Apr 15, 2001
South Florida
That's a great idea! Perhaps you could also get permission from publishers to translate their existing books in your language?
Sure, who wouldn't want to write a book about Titanic? I've always been curious to put together a list of the survivors according to lifeboat, and I have succeeded in doing this and listing other basic facts about them. Am now in the works to obtain permission from sources to publish commercially.
I am also waiting for Nick Barnett to complete the artwork for the cover. It should be very interesting to see how he interprets my ideas. Can't wait to see the finished painting!
I also dress in 1910's costumes (with a big round of applause to Randy for all his help!) and go to schools and churches and talk about Titanic, while displaying my tremendous and growing collection of memorabilia (concentrating more on the ship than on the movie, of course!)
Regards,
Kyrila

Apr 11, 2001
Helle- you should get in touch with Claes Wetterholm and Peter Engstom- they have done a book on Swedish on Titanic and know about the other Scandanavian passengers. Peter is here on the ET board under introduce yourself thread.

H

Helle Nielsen

Hi there Jan

I´m glad to hear from another "Dane", even though you´re not "the real kind"... Do you know where your great-grandfather was from in Denmark??? Or else you have homework until next message to me.
Actually there was some Danes on board the Titanic, among them Carla Andersen-Jensen and Claus Peter Hansen. Carla was saved from the ship only in her thin nightgown, and some years ago when she died, she was buried in the very same nightgown...(tears fill your eyes now, right???)

Take care
Helle

Dec 12, 1999
I think I do have records on where the family is from in Denmark. I'll let you know. I'm very interested in Carla's story, too, because she seems to fit in with stories of the passengers who suffered from PSTD (Post Traumatic Stress Disorder)(see "Survivors Suicides" and related threads on this site). This whole thing with the nightgown is a bit strange. It's something like the story Pat Cook relates about Lawrence Beasley (whenever he went to the beach, he always turned and faced away from the ocean). Many passengers refused to speak about the disaster, some had dreams and haunting memories, quite a number of survivors committed suicide. I read, on another site, about a women who survived the 1915 Eastland disaster (passenger ship tipped over while alongside Chicago dock, 844 killed). She could not stand to turn corners while riding in a car, thereafter.

H

Helle Nielsen

Hi Jan
Actually I send you a long message yesterday, but I guess it never made it to the messageboard...Grr! But I´ll just have to try again! As I wrote yesterday, I think all passengers suffered (in some degree)becayse of the traumatic experience the sinking was. But at that time people didn´t talk as deep as we do today. I mean, if I had a problem it wouldn´t barther me to tell you. We could talk to eachother just as we are close friends. People today aren´t afraid of what other people thinks, and I think that´s the main difference.
Back then in 1912 people rather suppressed their feelings than talked openly about them. But as Freud so cleverly discovered, the only thing you gain by suppressing your feelings, is obsessive thoughts and strange behaviour.

So, have you done your homework yet???

Take care,
helle

H

Helle Nielsen

Hi Jan

I have just been visiting your fabulous wrbsite. I must say that you´ve done a good job on it! I couldn´t seem to find pictures of you and your family though...

Another thing caught my interest there...I´m speaking of Titanic II and the interview. I´ve been wondering a lot about that since I heard it for the first time, that someone wanted to rebuild the Titanic. But I haven´t heard the recent news. Maybe you can tell me, Jan??? Is it going as they planned? Who took the initiative first? When will the ship be finished? And will a normal person (I mean with a normal income), be able to take a journey?

A lot of questions, but I´m quite sure you can´t wait to answer a devoted Titanic-enthusiast!

Take care,
happy.gif

Helle

Dec 12, 1999
Here's a link to the picture, Helle. http://content.communities.msn.com/isapi/fetch.dll?action=show_photo&ID_Community=jshomispictures&ID_Topic=2&ID_Message=787 I've been in touch with my sister about the Danish heritage (she is our family's expert on ancestory), but her dog died, she is upset, so I have to wait a bit. I do intend to get back to you on that, however.

Unfortunately, the prospects for a Titanic II are not very promising now. The developers, incidentally, were Scandinavians (Hans Ullmark, etc.). However, nothing more has been heard about it.

The brochure is posted on the website. In it, you'll find that the Titanic II would travel around the bay on tours. However, it would not take to sea because the engine's size was much smaller than those necessary for ocean travel.

When the proposal came out, the newspapers and a member of the San Francisco Port Authority severely criticized it. So everyone seems to have lost interest. About two months ago I checked with the San Francisco Port Authority. They told me there is nothing pending.

Personally, I think it was an okay idea. The ship was to mostly serve as a hotel. San Francisco needs hotel space. Hotels are always filled up here.

The project had strong political backing, as well. But because it wasn't well-received in the press --nothing has happened.

I've attempted to reach Hans Ullmark, but he hasn't returned my calls.

There are other proposals out there, but most (if not all) are pie-in-the-sky.

Dec 12, 1999
Helle,
I forgot to mention, I was watching a program on Pearl Harbor last night, and aboard the U.S.S. Arizona monument, I saw a "Nielsen" listed (I think it was "F.T. Nielsen"). How about that? A genuine "Nielsen" hero.

H

Helle Nielsen

Hi there Jan

I´m sorry to hear about the Titanic II...I would have loved to stay there. I could vividly imagine myself in surroundings exately like on the ship of dreams, but I guess that won´t happen...Not now that is...

I´m looking forward to hear about your ancestors...And frankly, I was not so surprised about the "Nielsen-hero"...Us Nielsens are in general heroes...
happy.gif

By the way, do you know how to put a photo out here? I´ve seen it on an "intruduce yourself" page, but I can´t seem to find out how.

Take care,
Helle

Dec 12, 1999
Helle:
To put a photo on the message board it has to be less that 50K in bytes. There are instructions on uploading photos under "formatting." You type in
6329.jpg
, then post, and it asks you for the picture's location. Then, you upload the picture. It completes the post. In the past, I haven't managed to get it to work, except two or three times. Lately, it hasn't worked at all. Also, you can uphold you own photo under the profile section. I haven't figured out how to access these profiles (apparently some members do access them).

Dec 2, 2000
Easley South Carolina
Jan, just click on the "EDIT PROFILE" heading in the utilities on the left. There's a whole menu of things you can do once you're in.

You can access members profiles by clicking on their names in their postings.

Cordially,
Michael H. Standart

Dec 12, 1999
Michael, Helle:

Thanks for the tip, Michael. I thought that by clicking the names you just got email addresses, but now I see that on some, you see pictures, and descriptions of the member.

I finally heard back from my sister, Helle, here's the scoop:

Jan,
Here's what I know about the Danes. Our great-grandfather was Jens Kristian
Nielsen, who was born in Denmark on August 15, 1872. He married Amanda
Johansson who was born in Weinge (Sweden?) on January 14, 1865. Their first
child was Jan Patrick Christian Waldemar, born in Denmark on July 4, 1893.
Jens was the son of Peder Nielsen (b. 11/26/1830) and Maren Sophie Hansen of
Store Grandlose. I don't know Danish but I think it says they were farmers
or something. Peder's parents were Niels Christensen from Tjepperup and his
wife, Ellen Hansdatter. Maren's parents were Hans Pedersen and Maren
Nielsdatter from Merlose. Store Grandlose has a / through the "o" as does
the "o" in Merlose. Jens had 6 sisters and brothers:
Ellen Kirstine 1863 ( I think this is when she was baptized)
Jens Pedersen 1863
Marie 1865
Hans Christian 1867
Peder Vilhelm 1870
"Jens" 1872
Anna Sophie 1874
That's about all I have until I really get time to try and translate this. I
think the document gives a little farm history.

Do these places, and names, mean anything to you, Helle? None of them, so far as I know, traveled on the Titanic --but my grandfather traveled on the Bremen II --a ship which sailed by the Titanic disaster site in 1912. The impression I get is that my grandfather was more like Olaf in "Titanic," than Sven.

I suppose that in Denmark, there are multitudes of Nielsens around. Take care.

H

Helle Nielsen

Hi Jan!

Glad to see some pure danish names here on the site. I´m sorry that I don´t seem to know any of them, but it´s impossible for me (even as a Nielsen-hero), to know all people in Denmark. But of course the names of places, (Store Grandløse, Merløse). It is small villages now, but maybe they have been big once.

I don´t think any "Nielsens" travelled on the Titanic (have already checked the passengerlists several times...), but there were some Nilssons and Nielsons as far as I remember. But they was most likely from Norway or Sweden.

Well, gotta go...Dinner is in the oven.
Take care,
Helle

Dec 12, 1999
Thanks, Helle, that's too bad. I guess we're not related. Maybe there's a viking way back there who is common to both of us. But can you tell me where Merlose and Store Grandlose are in Denmark? It would help my sister with her work. You can email me at nielsenjanc@aol.com

H

Helle Nielsen

Hi jan

You have put in a situation here...Right now I´m actually browsing through our immigration files in Danish, so I´ll be in touch a.s.a.p. The cities you mentioned are located on Sjælland...In the west of Sjælland.

take care,
Helle