Please reply to me

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 3, 2000
Hello,

Of the 705 survivors who wanted to be cremented then spread out over where they thought the Titanic sank??

And who of the ALL the crew members actual went back to ships after the terrible Titanic Tragedy??

THANK YOU ahead of time for your replies to me!

Have a nice day!

Bye!

Sincerely Kristy!

M

markbray

The only survivor I know of being scattered where the Titanic lies is Ruth Becker Blanchard. Ruth died in 1990.

A

Aurora Brynn

4th Office Boxhall also had his ashes scattered over the position of the Titanic when she sank.

Aurora

Paul Rogers

Jun 1, 2000
West Sussex, UK
All the surviving officers, Lightoller, Pitman, Boxhall and Lowe, returned to the sea after the wreck. None that I am aware of ever gained command of a ship under White Star. (Not surprising really, if a little sad.)

However, Lightoller served in the Royal Navy in WW1 and commanded a destroyer.

There's good biographies on all the surviving officers and crew on ET.

Paul.

Paul Rogers

Jun 1, 2000
West Sussex, UK
PS: According to what you read, the actual number of survivors varies between 705 and 712.

The normal figure quoted appears to be 705. The book: "Titanic, An Illustrated History" quotes 706 survivors; this site quotes 712.

Paul.

Inger Sheil

Feb 9, 1999
Kristy -

Many of the Titanic's former crew memebers returned to sea as soon as they were able to do so, as it was the only profession they knew. Pitman soon rejoined the Oceanic, Lowe was back at sea before the end of 1912 (after a few months hiatus), Boxhall I'm still looking at (does anyone have any information about how soon he returned to sea and on which ship?), and Lightoller - after being dragged about the courts for a considerable amount of time - rejoined the Oceanic in 1913.

Other crew members returned to the Oceanic, such as Rowe, Wynn, Witter, C E Andrews, Prentice, Foley, Fryer, Toms and Hunt.

Still others joined the Olympic very soon after the disaster - Poingdestre and Barrett rejoined in early May, merely a month after the disaster. Others such as Dillon, Brice, Perkis, Humphreys, Avery, Prangwell, Podesta and a few others would also join her in the immediate aftermath of the disaster.

A perusal of the Olympic's crew list for 1920, post WWI, finds several of the Titanic's crewmen aboard her, men such as Hemming.

Inger

Senan Molony

Jun 28, 1998
Dublin
Aurora should be aware that Boxhall's ashes were scattered at his SOS co-ordinates, an erroneous position 13.8 nautical miles west of where Titanic actually sank.

Jul 5, 2000
No one mentioned Violet Jessop of the crew members. She was a stewardess on the Titanic, the Olympic, and the Brittanic (Titanic's 2 sister ships). The Brittanic also suffered a tragic fate when she hit an underwater mine during WWI (Brittanic was a WWI hospital ship).

Violet Jessop continued serving aboard ships until she was well into her 60's or 70's.

For more info, check out her bio on this site, or go to the Titanic Crew and Passengers message board under "Who is Violet Jessop?" or check out her published memoirs.

Status
Not open for further replies.