Please reply to my Titanic questions

Status
Not open for further replies.
K

Kristy Asao

Hello,

#1 With all due respect to it and BELIEVE ME I like(personal reasons) the history and things about the Titanic, I was just wondering: Why is the Titanic so famous??

#2 Were there alot of actors/actresses that went down with that ship, Titanic??

#3 With all due respect, what about "The blimp(?) that went down, in front of cameras, with that shouting announcer, on fire(I was alive and I saw, like, at least, interviews of the aftermath of when it was over, on t.v..)" and/or "the German Sub. that killed 7,800 out of 8,000 men, women, and children on it", I mean, will they have movies based after them too??
IF yes, have you heard of any news about the
re-make(s)??
If no, why do YOU BELIEVE there wont be any
re-makes of them??

#4 Would you know of any Sites that might have possible re-makes information??
If yes, please, give me the U.R.L.'s!

#5 What about Sites with Interviews of the stars of the movie that were in it??
If yes, please, give me the U.R.L.'s!

#6 What's all this about a: Titanic II??
Will it sail(its madiane route) the SAME route as the original Titanic??
And what of costs??

#7 Does anyone know of any U.R.L.('s) to Documents of the Titanic Site(s)??
If you do, could you, please, give them to me?

#8 Does anyone know of any U.R.L.('s) to real-to-life Interviews of actual survivors of the Titanic??

#9 Does anyone know of any U.R.L.('s) to actual real-to-life footage and/or pictures of the Titanic??

#10 Does anyone know of any U.R.L.('s) to Titanic II Site(s)??

#11 What about the Californian(? Sorry if I misspelled it), I mean, didn't the crew care that they were only like 5-10 miles from her when she was going down??
Shouldn't they have been the first ones on the scene??

#12 What was the FIRST ship to have come to their aid??
If it wasn't the Californian(? Sorry if I misspelled it) than WHY wasn't it(the first one to get there)??

#13 Who survived, I mean, of the crew and passengers??

#14 Was 3third class actually kept locked down below so that first-class could have a BETTER chance at escaping??

#15 Did several of the crew members actually use guns??

#16 Was there any actual confrontation on a boat like in the movie??
I mean, like, between Molly Brown and that crew member("And they'll be one less on this boat if you don't shut that hole in your face!" ~Actual quote~)??

#17 Why is Molly Brown called: "The Unsinkable Molly Brown"??

THANKS ahead of time for your replies to me! I deeply appreciate 'em!

Sincerely(and respectfully) Kristy!

Mike Herbold

Dec 13, 1999
Wow. You ask so many questions its hard to get in a word edgewise. Most of the questions you ask can be answered by exploring this site and its links. Slow down and look around a little bit.

M

Mark Bray

Kristy,

Mike is right, I know. When you post many questions at once...it gets on peoples' nerves and gets them where they will not answer any of your questions. I did it once and made many people frustrated with all my questions. It also helps if you offer something in return..like go through the discussions and try to answers things for other people, it works out that way. Don't get mad when people get upset and just try to understand their point of view. Most of the questions you ask are availabe for response on this very informative website. Any you cannot find ask one at a time. Try to do a little of research. a friendly note...:)
Mark

E

Elaine Barnes

Hi Kristy,
I believe one of the reasons Titanic was so popular in 1912, is because the motion picture industry was just barely getting started and there were no "movie stars" of the day. Of course there was no T.V. either. People got all their news from the papers and the "rich and famous" were the "stars" of the day. Their travels, antics, scandals, love, loves lost, etc, gave the "little people" something to talk about. When several millionaires lose their lives in a shipwreck, it's BIG news. The ship itself was news because people had thought we were past the age when a large ocean liner could founder with the huge loss of life that it did. I personally could not tell you why the Titanic continues to allure. It's a thousand reasons and everyone has their own opinion.
As to your other questions, spend some time looking through this site. I personally like the biography section of the passengers and crew. You can also perform searches for specific information.This message board has a fount of information. You can look through the past questions and find many answers. Hope this helps!
Elaine

C

Claude La Haise

Dumb but true question:

How did the radio operator put space between the
words in Morse code?

Thank you!

A Titanic fa

K

Karen Angstadt

Question #16...I did read about that in a book that was a combo of Archibald Gracie, Harold Bride, Lawrence Beesley, and Officer Lightoller("Titanic: As Told by Her Survivors" is the title I think). I believe it was Gracies' portion in the book that made reference to the fact that Molly Brown did report Quartermaster Hitchens. I don't have the book at the office, and I don't remember exactly what is written.

M

Mark Brockman

If you go to Passengers and Crew of this website survivors will be in italics.

K

Kristy Asao

Hello,

THANK YOU Miss Angstadt and Mr. Brockman for your replies to my questions! :) :) I really appreciate 'em! :) :)

Miss Angstadt do you think you might be able to, please, tell me what was said to Molly Brown by Quartermaster Hichens?? :)

And Mr. Brockman, I KNOW I've been to that spot on this Site before but now I forgotten how to get back onto that particular spot which you talked about. Would you, please, give me DETAILS on HOW and WHERE I get there again?? :)

I appreciate your replies to me, people(regarding my questions)! :) :)
And THANK YOU ahead of time for your replies to
me(regarding my questions)! :) :)

Sincerely Kristy!

M

Mel Torres

Everdearest Kristy,
Hi there! Wow, you did indeed ask many ?'s. Well, for the past few years I have been following the Titanic. As in facts, you know the whole history behind it. I know a lot about it, so I may be able to help you out in your whole understanding of the TITANIC.
The reason why it has become so famous is because as always, when something new is founded or discovered, it's the hit of the town. No one thought of the Titanic much until they discovered the reamains in 1985 and then released the movie in 1997.
You know I heard about the whole Titanic II about a year ago. I got a magazine in the mail talking about it. I doubt that it might actually be a real ship ready to launch, but we never know right? Anyways, I don't know if you ever heard that they wanted to try to bring the real Titanic up from the bottom of the Atlantic. They had thought about it, but in reality, it would have cost too much for them to re-make it into the real Titanic that it once was.
When I heard about the Californian (yes, you spelled it right!:) I got SO angry. They were so close by and would have saved practicly everyone on board. But the true story behind it is that they were afraid that the capacity would be too much. As in the # of people. They thought that if they went over to the Titanic, then everyone would swamp the boat. Some people also believed that it was just a joke. So...they ignored it.
As of survivors... Um, there have been interviews with some of the surviviors, though sadly to say...most of them died already. It's been too long almost 88 years. A survivor that actually remembered what happened had to be at least 10 years old or so so 88+10=98 years old. It's just been too long. :(:(
I'm going back and forth to your ?'s that I can answer with definate answers, so they are somewhat in order.
When the Titanic went down into the Atlantic April 14th 1912, the first ship the lifeboats found was the Carpathia.
I don't know all the actual names to the survivor passangers or crew members, but I do know a few. I'll tell you one passenger that survived that SHOULDN'T have...Mr. John Ismay. He was the weiny that wanted to get into New York the night before the actual day to make "the morning papers." Because of his false thoughts, Titanic was ordered to have all four boilers lite. It went faster having it be hard to stop in case of an emergency. It crashed. He should have gone down with the ship the way John Jacob Astor did and the man who thought of a ship so grand - Mr. Andrews.
Oh yes, many of the 3rd class passengers were held until all of the first class passengers were aboard a lifeboat. The movie Titanic with Leonardo DiCaprio and Kate Winslet is very true. Everything from the movie are true facts. except the romance between Jack and Rose, and ofcourse the actual death of Captain Smith.
Guns were have said to been used to control the people from getting into riots.
And lastly, MOLLY BROWN. Molly wasn't accepted amongst the people very much because she hadn't beem rich all her life. Her husband got lucky in some oil mines back east and became rich. Though she was called the "Unsinkable Molly Brown." Her actual name was Margaret, but everyone called her Molly. Molly had no doubt in that she would not live. She fought to keep her hopes up about living and helped others as well. She wass the one that wanted to go back to the boat as it was sinking to bring back more people knowing that they had room. She just comforted everyone and nevr let anyone think that they wouldn't survive that cold night.

Well, I so hope that this ALL helps much. I love to share what I know about Titanic with those that have ?'s about it. My computer has been acting a bit funny lately so the date and time may not be right. I wrote this to you on June 19,2000 at about 3:25 p.m. or so.
Thanxs a bunch for listening! Oh, sometimes my computer gets a security lock where no e-mails are allowed, so if you happen to have anymore ?'s, just post them and I'll replay. That would probably be better.
love,
Mel

N

Nige

Hello all,
I hope you dont mind me correcting one or two points that you make above?
Please do not feel that I am attacking you in any way - I know that some people are sensetive about anyone picking up on errors, I simply want to state accurate facts ok?

Firstly, regarding your comments about the Californian and being close enough to save everyone on board? There have always been doubts in this area.
In the British inquiry, the Position given by Capt Stanley Lord (Master of Californian) put her at over 19 miles away from where the Titanic sank. This position, at the time, was not believed. But when the wreck was located in September 1985, the position confirmed that Californian was actually over 23 miles away on the night of the sinking. The watchmen on Californian had indeed seen a ship moving during the night, but it was described, Quote, "as a steamer showing a few deck lights and also her green side light.......at about 11.30 she stopped and was about 5 miles off........she was a medium sized steamer.....something like ourselves".
I would think that from that range, a captain who had been at sea all his life could easily tell the difference between a medium sized cargo/passenger vessel and a liner the size of Titanic?
Your comment about the crew being afraid to take on Titanic survivors due to overloading/overcrowding is, I am afraid to say, simply not accurate, as is the comment about "Some people thought it was a joke so they ignored it".
Also, something that is often overlooked, is the fact that earlier in the evening, Californian had stopped and had shut down her engines for the night. This means that the steam pressure would have been very low - just enough to maintain heating and drive the dynamos for electricity. Even if she had been any nearer, It would have taken her at least 45 minutes to get up sufficent steam to move, then she would have had to find her way through an almost solid icefield - IN THE DARK! The next morning, with the benefit of daylight, and a full head of steam, it took her nearly 2 and a half hours to reach the radioed position of Titanic. I find it extremely doubtful that even if Californian had recieved Titanics CQD at the time it was first broadcast, she could have arrived in time to save any of those in the water. At those temperatures that night, people submerged in water would have been unconscious in 20 minutes and Dead in 45.

Secondly, I respect your right to have your own opinion on the issue of Ismay getting into a lifeboat, but what purpose would his death have served?
Lord Mersey, chairman of the British Inquiry said it in a nutshell, as far as Im concerned, when in his summing up he said, and I quote, "As to the attack on Mr Bruce Ismay, it resolved itself into the suggestion that, occupying the position of Managing Director of the steamship company, some moral duty was imposed upon him to wait on board until the vessel foundered. I do not agree. Mr Ismay, after rendering assistance to many passengers, found "C" collapsable, the last boat on the starboard side actually being lowered. No other people were there at this time. There was room for him and he jumped in. Had he not jumped in he would merely have added one more life, namely his own, to the number of those lost".

Put yourself in his position for a moment and just think of what you would have done in his place?
I for one would have got into that lifeboat - as I think, if people are truely honest with themselves, would almost everyone else.

Regarding your comment on Ismay's ordering Capt Smith to make more speed, this is also inaccurate.
Ismay and Smith had discussed the possibility of running a full speed trial on Monday Or Tuesday 15th or 16th April - that is all.

Regarding your comment about the third class passengers being restrained below decks - again this is inaccurate - there is no evidence to show that this was the case. You could argue that the casualty figures are all the evidence you need,I suppose. While Camerons film is very accurate in most areas, it is not 100%.

The scene of Murdodch Shooting himself is pure fiction, and indeed 20th Century Fox apologised to his home town and gave a £5,000 donation for a memorial, by way of restitution for the mistake.

Regarding other unanswered questions:
Q) Who survived?
A) There are a good many books that publish lists of those saved, I can scan and send them on if you would like.
Q) Re the "Blimp" - I believe you are reffering to the disaster of the airship HINDENBURG?
A) There is a feature film out about this disaster. It has been out for a number of years and Stars George C Scott, I believe it is actually entitled "Death of the Hindenburg", but im not too sure of this.
Q) Regarding the German submarine question.
A) I am not too sure about what you are asking here, but I think you are reffering to a Russian sub that Torpedoed the German liner Wilhelm Gustloff in the Baltic sea, during the closing days of WWII. No one knows an accurate figure of how many were on board, due to all the confusion of the fighting going on in that area at the time, but estimates do run as high as 8 or 9 thousand deaths.
Hope this helps,
and again, please do not view this message as an attack on you, I simply wish to point out the innaccuracies.
Thanks all,
Nige
PS - I have included my email and welcome contact.

Aurora

Apr 4, 1998
And other point to correct. Margaret Brown was never called Molly in her lifetime. She was called Maggie. I think "Molly" Brown came about with the musical "The Unsinkable Molly Brown." Easier to sing...

Aurora

Lou Kerr

Dec 13, 1999
Nige,

Just wanted to compliment you for your well written contribution above. I fall on the side of those who believe that the Titanic was seen from the California and that the California crew might have taken some action in response to what they saw. But I think you have pinpointed the bottom line in that controversy, in the end any action by the California would not have brought them to the scene in time to have made a difference.

Keep up the good scholarship!

Lou

T

Tracey McIntire

Dear Nige,
I agree with Lou--great reply! However, I must take issue with your statement that Murdoch's suicide is "pure fiction." There were many people who say that one of the Titanic's officers committed suicide, and some actually mention Murdoch's name. For more detailed information, I refer you to Bill Wormstedt's web site under "Shots in the Dark" and also George Behe's web site under "Murdoch and the Dalbeattie Defense." Links to both these sites can be found here on ET. I hope you find this information as interesting as I did.
Sincerely,
Tracey

M

Mel T.

Hi again,
Hi there! Oh not at all. In fact I thank you for you're replay. It was very well written. I'm glad that you were able to correct me in a very polite way. Now I have you're infomation in mind, and I know that it is correct. Thank you. Oh, i had a ? for you seeing that you are very well informed about Titanic. When the Californian was near, wasn't the person in charge of all the morris code messages asleep? That is why they didn't receive some of the SOS's. I read that in a book, but is is correct?

Though, I'm still not sure about Bruce Ismay. I mean when it does come to the point where you know you can save yourself or die, well who wouldn't take into consideration living right!?! I guess, if I were him, I would have jumped into the lifeboat, but I think that I would have been angry with myself as time passed.
oh Aurora, you're correct as well. I completly forgot. She was called Maggie. Sorry! I remembered right after I read you're replay.
Thank you everyonbe who indeed helped ME to get my info correct. Hope to talk more later!

Paul Rogers

Jun 1, 2000
West Sussex, UK
Hi Mel. The Californian Marconi operator, a man called Evans, was indeed asleep and therefore missed Titanic's distress calls.

In those days, the wireless operators worked for a variety of different companies, including the Marconi Company. They were not officially part of the ship's crew. Also, most ships only had one wireless operator, and they had to sleep sometime!

Here comes the Greek Tragedy bit: Approx 15 minutes before Titanic hit the iceberg, Evans had tried to warn her that the Californian was stopped due to ice. Phillips on the Titanic, who was sending passenger messages, (and had a serious backlog), told him to shut up. So Evans did, shut down his wireless, and went to bed.

Even more Greek Tragedy: Whilst the Officers on the Californian were watching distress rockets being sent up by Titanic, (allegedly - for the Lordites out there!), one of them, from memory it was Gibson, went to the radio room and put on the headphones to see if he could hear any signals. Unfortunately, he didn't know how to turn it on! Oops.

Finally, regarding Ismay, there is conflicting evidence that there was no-one else around when he stepped into the lifeboat. Ismay said there was no-one else around, but John Thayer wrote that the saw Ismay "push his way into it" (the boat). I believe John Thayer on that one. Mind you, who's to say what any of us would have done, in those circumstances?

Regards,

Paul.

M

Mel T.

Dearest Paul,
Hi there! Well, now I know what really happened. I didn't know over half of the things you told me. It's just so sad. I mean to think about how many people died on the ship or even worse the freezing cold water when something could have been done to prevent it. But, that was then.
Oh in mind, I have a question for you, if you don't mind. If there was a chance to re-create the Titanic, I mean make it practicly the exact same, another replica, do you think that that would be a good thing? If it were indeed built, would you consider it a form of disrespect to the passengers and crew that died aboard? I've heard from different people, so I would like you're opinion. It was just a question of curiosity. THANKS!
Hope to hear from you!
Mel

Paul Rogers

Jun 1, 2000
West Sussex, UK
Oh dear Mel! The subject of a replica has caused a fair bit of controversy on this very site. (See Message Board: General Titanic Questions; New Titanic Being Built?)

I can't understand anyone saying it's a form of disrespect to those that died. One could say that the act of building a replica is the greatest form of respect possible; i.e. keeping someone's memory alive long after their death. It's a Hell of a lot more disrespectful to raid the wreck for items to put on display.

It's been my dream since 1976 when I first heard of Titanic to either visit the ship or sail on a replica. I'm gutted I was born too late to sail on Olympic. So therefore, my opinion is necessarily biased.

However, I doubt that a replica would ever be built. If it is built, then I'd be first in the queue for the maiden voyage. (Having sold all my possessions, no doubt, to pay for the ticket!)

Regards,

Paul.

N

Nige

For Mel, Tracey and Lou,

Thank you all for your compliments about the answer I provided to Mel's questions. It's been a life long study for me, so you tend to pick things up! ((My friends use the word OBSESSION!!))

I will check out those sites Tracey, thanks for the pointer, but unless someone can bring me proof, Im going to stay with my "Didn't happen" opinion, if you dont mind !!!

From my researchings, there is no evidence or even mention of this incident in the British Inquiry and from the little I know about Murdoch's lifestyle and temprement, it certainly doesnt seem to fit in with his character, but I will have a look at those other sites and "suss them out" for myself, thanks.

Also, I provide here the text of a newspaper article, from "THE SUN" newspaper dated Thursday April 16th 1998.

Headline reads:

"TITANIC FILM BOSS SAYS SORRY TO HERO BRANDED A COWARD"
"HE VISITS SHIP VICTIMS TOWN"

The story then goes on:

A movie boss behind Titanic apologised in person yesterday over it's portrayal of a towns local hero as a coward.
Studio chief Scott Neeson visited Dalbeattie, Scotland, After fury over how watch commander William Murdoch was depicted.
In the film Murdoch, played by scots actor Ewan Stewart, is shown shooting 2 of the stricken ships passengers, before killing himself with his pistol.
But Murdoch is a hero for people of Dalbeattie, near Dumfries, who say he saved several passengers and even gave away his own lifejacket.
Murdoch was one of the 1500 victims - BUT THERE IS NO EVIDENCE THAT HE KILLED HIMSELF.

ERROR
So yesterday - the 86th anniversary of the disaster, 20th Century Fox's Executive vice President, Mr Neeson, said sorry to Murdoch's nephew, Scott aged 80.
He told him: "I am sorry we have distressed you and your family, Dalbeattie has every right to be proud of him."
Scott said: "I am pleased they have admitted an error. It was important to clear his name." Mr Neeson also gave £5,000 to a memorial fund, set up in Murdoch's Honour.
But he rejected a plea to insert a correction line in the credits, when the film comes out on video.
I have the press cutting scanned and can send it on to anyone who may wish to read it for themselves.

N

Nige

Just a PS to my message above.

I agree too that there is very little doubt CALIFORNIAN did see Titanics distress rockets. I also agree that the officers of the watch should have been much more forceful in providing their information to Capt Lord. But as I highlighted above, It is almost certain that even if CALIFORNIAN had begun to get up steam on sighting the first rocket and /or waking up the radio operator, to get the news, it would have simply taken her too long to cover the distance, to have done any good for Titanic's passengers and crew.

Just going off on a tangent for a moment, I have set up a small website that may be of interest to people here.
It is called "THE WHITE STAR LINE HISTORY SITE" and can be found at the following location:

http://communities.msn.co.uk/WHITESTARLINEHISTORYSITE

Please note that it is a brand new site, still undergoing testing.
It is my intention to get at least one picture online for every white star line ship that was built. The photo archive stands at 27 ships in 31 pictures at the moment.
Please visit it and let me have any feedback, I would be very grateful.
Thanks again all,
Nige

Status
Not open for further replies.