Poor Titanic, overused metaphor

Nov 14, 2005
I don't think Titanic will ever be forgotten. I surfed various news shows today and there are countless news articles all using Titanic as a comparison/metaphor for various events. Titanic was an accident that happened. Anyway it's being overused in my opinion. Not everything is the same as Titanic. But it seems everything now is compared to Titanic. I don't remember if it was that way before 97 or not. Another legacy of Cameron's movie perhaps. Cheers.

Reactions: 1 user

Cam Houseman

Jul 14, 2020
Maryland, USA
I don't think Titanic will ever be forgotten. I surfed various news shows today and there are countless news articles all using Titanic as a comparison/metaphor for various events. Titanic was an accident that happened. Anyway it's being overused in my opinion. Not everything is the same as Titanic. But it seems everything now is compared to Titanic. I don't remember if it was that way before 97 or not. Another legacy of Cameron's movie perhaps. Cheers.
And 75% of the time its used in a Political Cartoon, lol.

Nov 14, 2005
And 75% of the time its used in a Political Cartoon, lol.
Yes your probably right about that. I still think it's often applied where there are better examples/analogies to be used. But since it was over a hundred years ago it's safe to use I guess. I just wish if they are going to use it maybe it would be a good idea to get the facts right about the ship/disaster. I watched one the other night and I don't think they got one thing right about Captain Smith and the Titanic. Cheers.

Mike Spooner

Sep 21, 2017
For those who ever read a Dictionary this days. The definition in Oxford and Collins for Titanic is very much a live. Describe as: Very big, Important, Powerful Forces and is a Titanic struggle!

Reactions: 1 users
Nov 14, 2005
For those who ever read a Dictionary this days. The definition in Oxford and Collins for Titanic is very much a live. Describe as: Very big, Important, Powerful Forces and is a Titanic struggle!
Yes your right on the definition. But that refers to the Titans not the ship/disaster. Titanic today is used as a metaphor for screw up not large. But large can apply to screw ups too I guess...:). Cheers.

Cam Houseman

Jul 14, 2020
Maryland, USA
Yes your right on the definition. But that refers to the Titans not the ship/disaster. Titanic today is used as a metaphor for screw up not large. But large can apply to screw ups too I guess...:). Cheers.
Indeed! I see them often with certain presidents/prime ministers on the ship these days, or doing the also iconic Rose/Jack Pose.

Bo Bowman

Dec 23, 2019
Worland, Wyoming
It gets worse, my friends. In addition to my "day job" I am the pastor of a little church. My church folks can always expect, come mid-April, a message from me themed on the loss of the Titanic. For lessons in salvation, courage, morality, kindness, pathos, poor decisions, you name it - this tragic event is a gold mine of vignettes. There are a million of them.

As for the impact of this event on our culture, in America I equate it to the Revolution, Civil War, Pearl Harbor attack and D-Day in terms of overuse as an analogy. All around the world, people know of Titanic and its impact. Any tragedy has lessons for us, but the lessons from T's loss remain relevant to this day. It's a cultural icon that has now transgressed two centuries.

Tim Gerard

Feb 26, 2019
It's sometimes just an irrelevant comparison to make. A month or 2 ago I saw something on the news on TV about the Carnival Vista departing Galveston, TX for Carnival's first cruise since the COVID-19 cruising shutdown, and how the cruise industry is struggling to bounce back. Even in that news piece, they tossed in there that the Vista is more than twice the size of the Titanic.

Reactions: 1 users
Nov 14, 2005
It's sometimes just an irrelevant comparison to make. A month or 2 ago I saw something on the news on TV about the Carnival Vista departing Galveston, TX for Carnival's first cruise since the COVID-19 cruising shutdown, and how the cruise industry is struggling to bounce back. Even in that news piece, they tossed in there that the Vista is more than twice the size of the Titanic.
Yes they do that a lot. Like I said before I think it's often overused. But I get it. Pretty much everybody has heard about Titanic. And just about any shipwreck/disaster will be compared to Titanic. I just wish when they do use it they at least try to get the facts right. But that might be asking too much in today's world. Cheers.