Portrayal of Wilde

Susan Alby

Oct 22, 2004
I liked Mark Lindsay Chapman's portrayal of Chief Officer Wilde. He had less time on camera than the other officers or maybe the focus was on other characters so he went basically unnoticed as just another 'Deck Officer'. One thing the movie did accurately was after the iceberg hit, Captain Smith and Officer Wilde went down to inspect the damage with Andrews. The look on the actor's face was perfectly done. Like he had known that something horrible was to happen with the ship that was supposedly "unsinkable". I think he knew at that point that he would not return home.

Susan

Inger Sheil

Dec 3, 2000
I thought it was one of the more successful portrayals too, Susan - he seems calm, competant and in control of himself, as well as proactive in the situation. We also see him show a flash of sheer humanity and compassion that prevents him from looking like an automaton.

I don't think we know if Wilde went with Smith to inspect the damage...the actions of all three men following the collision are not certain.

Jun 12, 2004
Inger,

I left a post for you under 'Hindsight..." in 'General Titanica,' in which I claimed that the only other officer we know from eyewitness testimony who did go below to assess the damage was Boxhall. Was there any other officer (aside from Smith), of whom I may be unaware, to go below? Please see that post, too.

Sorry for the digression. I just felt the need to quickly insert that here.

Take care

Susan Alby

Oct 22, 2004
Mark,

Acting as the Chief Officer, would it not have been within Wilde's duties to go below with Captain Smith and Andrews to inspect the damage from the collision?

True or not, it was a great point in the film.

Regards,
Susan

Inger Sheil

Dec 3, 2000
Wilde does seem to have made it as far as the forecastle during the early stages:

quote:

Mr. HEMMING. I went up under the forecastle head to see where the hissing noise came from.

Senator SMITH. What did you find?

Mr. HEMMING. Nothing.

Senator SMITH. Go right along and tell what you did.

Mr. HEMMING. I did not see anything. I opened the forepeak storeroom; me and the storekeeper went down as far as the top of the tank and found everything dry.

I came up to ascertain where the hissing noise was still coming from. I found it was the air escaping out of the exhaust of the tank.

At that time the chief officer, Mr. Wilde, put his head around the hawse pipe and says: "What is that, Hemming?" I said: "The air is escaping from the forepeak tank. She is making water in the forepeak tank, but the storeroom is quite dry." He said, "All right," and went away.

Jun 12, 2004
Well, it was Inger who suggested the possibility that Wilde didn't go. I was merely speaking out as to evidence: It appears by the evidence that Boxhall was the only officer, other than Smith, to go below and assess the damage.

As for it being Wilde's duty, that's possible. Perhaps someone here with maritime experience (Standart, Capt. Wood, Capt. Weeks) could confirm that one way or another.

Wasn't Wilde asleep in his quarters at the time of impact? Of course, it wouldn't have taken him long to get dressed and snap on the bridge, considering his cabin was right off the bridge on the port side.

>>At that time the chief officer, Mr. Wilde, put his head around the hawse pipe and says: "What is that, Hemming?" I said: "The air is escaping from the forepeak tank. She is making water in the forepeak tank, but the storeroom is quite dry." He said, "All right," and went away.<<

Inger, this doesn't really say how far he went, nor does it suggest that Wilde went below with Smith and Andrews. It does suggest, perhaps, that he was assessing damage at another location in the forecastle. That's all that we can surmise at this point, unless Hemming's, or anyone else's, testimony confirms more. Unfortunately, all those who went below, save for Boxhall, didn't survive to clarify it.

Inger Sheil

Dec 3, 2000
Ayup. It does provide a clue as to his movements following the disaster, but without his own testimony, we're working on scanty evidence. We know at least he made it that far, but the full extent of his role in assessing the damage is not known.

Jun 12, 2004
By the way, did you find that other post I left for you (and others)? It's under 'general' ---> 'What if...' ---> 'What if the wireless...' I thought for sure you'd find it interesting, hehe.

Aug 10, 2002
Mark:
In a situation like that I'd head for the bridge, meet with the Master. Unless he had a specific duty for me to perform I'd then head toward the scene of the action to get a close up picture of the situation, then report to the Master. The usual arrangement is for the Master to be In Command on the bridge, the Chief Officer is Incharge on Scene. Thus I can well imagine that Wilde would have headed down to the fwd area to see for himself the nature and extent of the problem.
Regards,
Charlie Weeks

Jun 12, 2004
Charles,

I see your point, but we do know from testimony that Capt. Smith did go to inspect the damage with Andrews and Hutchenson (unless that testimony is incorrect, but it's a common belief that he had done so), so if he went, what need would there have been for Wilde to go? Are you speaking in general terms or what had happened aboard the Titanic that night?

Paul Lee

Aug 11, 2003
I think Stewardess Robinson said that Smith and Purser McElroy came along to look at the flooding mail hold et al.

Paul

Aug 10, 2002
I was responding to Mark Hopkin's post. Beyond that I believe I have seen statements from various people saying that 4/O Boxhall, Capt. Smith. Mr,Andrews, C/O Wilde and Chief Purser McElroy all went below to inspect/investigate. However they didn't all go together nor stay in a single group, thus the various sightings by different people of various of them in different times and places.
Regards,
Charlie Weeks

Jun 12, 2004
If I remember correctly, Boxhall was the first to go, alone, about fifteen minutes after contact with the 'berg. Even the Morgans, I think, testified to this, didn't they? About twenty minutes after that, the 'Smith gang' went down.

Aug 10, 2002
Paul:
I'm not wedded to the fact that Wilde went with the Smith party. I had always rather assumed he went on his own.If I remember correctly the fellow he conversed with up by the hawse pipe didn't mention anyone with Wilde. Boxhall by his own account went down twice, but by himself. I believe I read where Mr. Andrews separated from the Smith party after visiting the Engine Room. The Captain and Purser then went to the area of the Mail Room. Andrews I believe went up to his cabin to do some calculating.
Regards,
Charlie Weeks

J

Jack Coburn

Hey guys, this might seem a little off-topic but since this is about Wilde i thought i'd just ask, how come Wilde wasn't included in that final scene where Rose comes back to the titanic and reunites with all the dead guys? Since they did show his death i do think he should have been there.

Jun 12, 2004
He was there, along with about two hundred others. I'd use the slo-mo or pause and look carefully. I'm sure he's there. Maybe he's on the boatdeck (upper) level.

Inger Sheil

Dec 3, 2000
I've looked for figures such as Wilde and Moody a number of times - if they're there, they're merging into the background figures.

J

Jack Coburn

Actually now i'm not so sure Wilde was there, unless Mark did definately see him, because i do believe that to be in that last scene, you not only had to have died, but also had to have been a good guy, and i'm not sure Wilde was portrayed as a good guy. There was a scene where Wilde put Rose in a lifeboat and then he shoved Jack away from Rose as they were holding hands. I think Cameron wanted to make Wilde look like a fairly grumpy sort of guy. I'm not sure if Cameron wanted Wilde to be bad or good guy. I don't know, what do you think?