Poseidon Adventure

Feb 14, 2011
The tv remake was awfull......Not one of the characters had any development-
There wasnt a single strong charcter in the film- Rutger Hauer's reprisal of Gene Hackman's role of the priest was dreadful.
Plus the cause given to explain the capsize was ridiculous..
And why didnt the surivors escape through the hole that the Navy seals penetrated? Why did they need to blast another hole on the other side of the ship?
This film deserved 4 falling funnel awards...

Tarn Stephanos

Feb 24, 2004
>>The Wolfgang Peterson version also has a solid cast. I had a moment of hope about this one until I saw this was the guy responsible for Outbreak.

Don't give up hope on Petersen just yet - remember, he also directed Das Boot. Then again, he did - or is it, "did in"? - The Perfect Storm.

Ah, me . . . (sigh!)

Roy

Matthew Lips

Mar 8, 2001
My goodness, after reading all the above "rave" reviews of what is obviously a C grade stinker, I CAN'T wait to see it!

I'm a sucker for punishment, I know, but then again my TV is in my bedroom so if I fall asleep I will be nice and comfy...

Laugh if you will, but I can't wait for it to reach South Africa.

Matthew Lips

Mar 8, 2001
Which reminds me. There was a racehorse that ran in the UK a few weeks ago called Poseidon Adventure. Our local TV presenter obviously found the name impossible to pronounce correctly and kept calling the poor beast "Poisondon Adventure".

By the sounds of things, she should offer that name to the makers of the Hallmark rehash as a more suitable title for their opus.

Unlike the new movie, the horse at least won.

John Clifford

Mar 30, 1997
I, too, watched the trailer. Yes, it looks like the Queen Mary 2 is the intended model for the ship. The dining area definitely reminds me of the Britannia Restaurant, and the scene of the crashing elevators is eerily reminiscent of the QM2's Grand Lobby.

Next February I'll have to check on how much of the QM2 was noted for the film.

James Smith

Dec 5, 2001
But what's with the bridge shots? They were short, but the Poseidon's bridge looks more like the bridge of the Starship Enterprise than of an ocean liner . . .

--Jim

Steve Olguin

Mar 31, 2005
I am unable to view the trailer, but judging by the photos of the set as well as the concept art provided on the official website, this will be one heck of a movie. Just the fact that Wolfgang Peterson is director is enough for me to fill the seat opening weekend. I have the feeling this movie has blockbuster potential, and for a disaster movie, it has a great cast of actors who have had very great roles in other films.

The ship looks like an eerie hybrid of both the QM and the QM2, and I must say looks better than most of the liners currently afloat. The staircase and glass dome remind of a modern day version of Titanic's grand staircase.

Jul 11, 2001
Steve, You need to update the QuickTime viewer on your computer to see it. At the bottom of the page there should be a QuickTime logo. Just click on that and it will take you to the site where you can get the FREE download. Once you do that you will have no trouble seeing the new clip. I had the same problem.

This preview certainly removes all doubt that this will be far far better than the Hallmark version. Warner Brothers did spend alot of money building huge sets.

David

May 3, 2002
Wellington, New Zealand
Compared to the original this one is going to be very visceral. I also think we will see some elements of the novel, especially the character of Rev Scott may be seen in one of the male leads.

Also the roll is going to be something to see. Far more graphic than the original or the novel, which is very descriptive.

Martin

Nov 26, 2005
>>is this thread closed?<<

Martin,

No it's not closed. I guess there just hasn't been much to say. Having never read the novel, I really can't add much since the discussion has sort of veered off in that direction. *I didn't even know there was a novel (oops)*. I will agree with you though, that it looks like this is going to be pretty graphic. The part with people stuck in crashing elevators as the ship turns over sent a bit of a chill up my spine. (always one of my own biggest fears-I HATE elevators! lol). I am really excited to see this movie.

May 3, 2002
Wellington, New Zealand
Warners have set up UK, French and German web sites. the trailers can be viewed by a range of viewers. unfortunately they can't be saved to your HDs

cheers

Martin

"I bet the Captain was scared too," - Robin Shelby

Steve Olguin

Mar 31, 2005
The trailer is also playing on E!'s "Coming Attraction" show at the very end of the program. I was able to burn it on DVD last night. The movie looks amazing.

May 3, 2002
Wellington, New Zealand
The novel is to be re-released in March, or close thereto.

If you have not read it I recommend it. Some might find some of the side issues a little bit "adult" but that should not pose a problem to most of us.

Martin