Poseidon Adventure

May 3, 2002
Wellington, New Zealand
Thanks Jason

A Happy New Year to you all and May will come soon enough.

Steve could you please elaborate.
were you on a PC and downloaded?
I went to Empire and downloaded one from the future film section ,full screen,

Poseidon seems to be passing under their radar.

Martin

Jim Kalafus

Dec 3, 2000
Yes. Although the star of many fine films- Tentacles; The Devil's Daughter; Cleopatra Jones; Bloody Mama; My Darling Shiksa; What's the Matter With Helen?; Wild in the Streets; Delta Force and some lesser titles from the 1940s through the 1960s come to mind- Shelley will always be, to many of us, the embodiment of disaster movie heroine that was Belle Rosen. She was a good sport about her most famous part, and was always happy to inscribe photos with "What you need is a pretty wife' and "I'm the only one here TRAINED to do that!" Whether it was being dosed with LSD and climbing a chain link fence while screaming "I'm being presented at the Court of St. James! I need Feathers!" (Wild in the Streets); battling special a effects octopus or crazed hijackers; tricking a gullible tenant into marrying Satan; b*tch slapping Barry "Greg Brady" Williams BEFORE he was a Brady kid (Wild in the Streets, again) or swapping surreal dialogue about trains with Jack Albertson shortly before performing a water ballet that Esther Williams herself could not have pulled off, Shelley did everything with an admirable method-actor's seriousness. She never seemed to be 'above' a part and therefore brought the same indescribable 'something' to Cleopatra Jones that she did to A Place In The Sun....she did not sleepwalk through parts just because the film wasn't QUITE A-list material, which is why her late period body of work stands up well next to her 'heyday' material. One senses that she approached "Purple People Eater" with the same level of seriousness and commitment that she did Lolita, and that is the hallmark of a true actor rather than a 'star.'

John Clifford

Mar 30, 1997
I, too, remember Shelley Winters from some of the other roles she played (such as an agrieved widow in the first season of the 1983-88 ABC series HOTEL), including seeing a brief portion of Irwin Allen's volcano flick "When Time Ran Out" (later titled "Earth's Final Fury"); my thought was first "My God!! Shelley's character survived!!" (she starred with Paul Newman, Jacqueline Bissett, Pat Morita, and Veronica Hamel, pre-HILL STREET BLUES, in that film; the characters played by Pat Morita and Veronica Hamel were among those who get killed off in the film).

I also remembered seeing a brief part of "The French Atlantic Affair" (i.e. imagine if the late cult leaders Jim Jones or David Karresh had hijacked THE LOVE BOAT), when Shelley's character, disillusioned by Telly Savalas cult leader's motives, exacts the final justice.

Both those films had me comparing Shelley Winters performances with her Belle Rosen role, which will probably be the part that many of us will remember her for.

I was thrilled to see Shelly Winters appear at the March 2000 showing of "The Poseidon Adventure", at the Queen Mary; sadly she had to leave before we could get individual pictures or autographs.
However, Shelley had the perfect line for her role as Belle: "I was told I had to gain weight for the role, which I did, and now it's taken me 27 years to lose it".

RIP Shelley. You earned a special in the hearts of many of us. "Good Night Mrs. Rosen".

Nov 26, 2005
I always really loved her in the part as Nana on Roseanne. Her character was a lot of fun and she really pulled it off. Too bad they didn't use her more when they had here. RIP Shelley. I didn't know anything about her passing until I read through this thread. Sad news indeed.

Lisa Kraner

May 26, 2005
I too learned of her death while reading the threads.........She was a gracious lady and a great actress........she brought each character she portrayed to life........WHAT A CAREER!

Nov 26, 2005
>>For those who don't know POSEIDON Opens May12 USA<<

I'll definitely be there. I wasn't impressed with the TV version that came out last year, but I wasn't exactly unimpressed. So I'm looking forward to seeing what they come out with, especially special effects-wise with a bit higher budget and a wee bit larger screen. ;-)

Nov 30, 2000
Just watched two clips on Yahoo! from the new flick.
Critics are lukewarm, but I like the looks of this remake (must be in part due to Kurt R. and Richard D. being in the cast! :) ).

Richard Krebes

Apr 11, 2001
The AMC movie network broadcast a new digitalized Poseidon Adventure last night at 8 p.m. I can't imagine who can ever top Stella Stevens.It was great to hear some of those classic lines "Panties- what else do I need!".I am planning to see the new version tonight. I had also forgotten the plastic Queen Mary model used at the beginning and for some "steaming" shots- endearingly simple for simpler times. There was one segment where Hackman was preaching on deck on Sunday morning and a stream of white smoke was coming out of the QM funnel behind him. I read these were replica funnels as the real ones had rusted away. I guess somebody dropped a little smoke bomb to get the effect. It would be great to see as many of the old cast as possible get together for an interview. Who is left? Pam Martin and the little boy surely, Hackman,Stella -who else?

Feb 7, 2005
Wow, Mike, I'm impressed! Your knowledge goes far beyond the world of ships and Titanic! ;-)

I'm sorry I missed "The Poseidon Adventure" last night on AMC (not at home). I'd like to see it again before we go to see the new one.

John and I are planning to go see "Poseidon" on an IMAX screen--that should be awesome! To see if it's on a big screen near you, go to: http://www.bigmoviezone.com/filmsearch/movies/coming_soon.html?uniq=459

Denise

Apr 11, 2001
Oh, the International Movie Data Base makes us all look like trivia masters! :) I could have sworn Red Buttons had passed away.