Poseidon Adventure

AL Glover

Apr 15, 2005
Just wondering if anyone knows the TRUE name of the ship,that turned over in the movie, POSEIDON Adventure, or was that "'just a movie", were there any survuvirs, articles about it,thank U

Apr 11, 2001
Everything about Poseidon Adventure can be found at this delightful site which features tours aboard the Queen Mary, info on becoming a member of the fan club and receiving their "Morning After" journal. LOADS of fun for about an hour for all funnelfans. I for one am not ashamed to say I am a huge FAN of this movie.
なんとなくブログ
Manny! Manny!
27930.gif

John Clifford

Mar 30, 1997
The model, for the POSEIDON ADVENTURE is on display at the Los Angeles Maritime Museum, at the Port of Los Angeles.

The model, ideally, is near the Father Pirrone cutaway models of the Titanic and the Lusitania.

John Clifford

Don Tweed

Mar 30, 2006
I love Ernest Borgnines line: "Tell them to break out their hymn books and start singing nearer my god to thee!"
-Don
happy.gif

May 5, 2001
Shelley,

I am not ashamed either, as a matter of fact, when I lived in Nutley, New Jersey, they had a theater there, the first week they showed the Poseidon Adventure, I saw it about 6 times, my dad thought I was nuts but I loved that movie and still watch it from time to time on DVD....and I got the VHS and the sequel floating around here someplace.....I wasn't too keen on the sequel but Sally Field & Michael Caine did give it a certain flair.

Sincerly,
Bill

Matthew Lips

Mar 8, 2001
I must confess I'm another Poseidon Adventure addict. I've seen it more times than any other movie (six times, I think) and would happily sit through it again. I'd love to see a Cameron-style, big budget remake. With today's special effects that would be SOME movie!

The sequel, on the other hand, was the biggest load of tripe ever preserved on celluloid and has the dubious distinction of being the only funnel flick I have seen which ranks as worse than "Britannic." The sort of thing that makes me wonder why there is no law against movie sequels!!

Cheers.
Matthew L.

May 3, 2002
Wellington, New Zealand
I saw that film when I was 11 or so.
I can't remember how many times I saw it in the following years. I always wanted a video of it but was rewarded when it came out on DVD.

Is there any word on a projected remake?

Martin

Eric Paddon

Jun 4, 2002
Why would you remake it? The film's FX still hold up good enough for today and any "remake" would probably give us more of the other thing Cameron style films are noted for, which is *bad* writing.

N

Nathan Good

I think a remake of this film with updated special effects and a whole load of big name actors would be great. I'm a big fan of the original and wouldn't hesitate to go see a remake. Perhaps it is too soon, maybe in another 10 to 15 years...

All the best,

Nathan Good

May 5, 2001
Matthew....

"Beyond The Poseidon Adventure" worse than "Britannic"????????? ????????????

Are ya sure about that???????????????

The only thing worse than BTPA is TITANIC - The Mini-Series...somewh ere down there with it is Britannic....BTPA is/was at least watchable with some form of entertainment to it.

Key words are 'SOME FORM'

Regards,
Bill

May 5, 2001
My Previous post is, of course, personal opinion, other opinions may vary.....

"I'm going first, this way if old fat ass gets stuck, I won't be caught behind her"

"What do you want from us?, we've come all this way no thanks to you....we're not asking you to fight for us but damn it, don't fight against us.......Belle wasn't enough, Akers wasn't, now this girl....YOU WANT ANOTHER LIFE...........THEN TAKE ME!"

Some classic lines in that movie......

Regards,
Bill
aka "Mr. Dialogue"
happy.gif

Matthew Lips

Mar 8, 2001
William.
I agree it's a close run thing for the "honour" of all time Funnel Flick Grand Turkey Deluxe, but "Beyond the Poseidon Adventure" was a blatantly cheap attempt at cashing in on one of the most successful movies of its era.

On its own it would have been merely bad. In the circumstances it never should have been made. I suppose you could say the same about "Britannic", but it least it wasn't intended as a follow on from Cameron's "Titanic." (Or was it??)

Of course this is my personal opinion as well, but both movies probably belong in a deep, dark place. Like the bottom of the ocean, perhaps.

Cheers.
Matthew L.

Eric Paddon

Jun 4, 2002
I have not seen "Britannic" but "Beyond The Poseidon Adventure" is the worst piece of junk Irwin Allen ever turned out and I'd be hard pressed to think of any film that tops it for sheer badness (notice how in "Beyond" the characters end up in spotless looking locations that in the first film were devastated by flash fires and then submerged?)

May 5, 2001
Hi Guys....

First of all there has only been a handful of "franchises" that ever cranked out successful sequels....BTPA was not one of them but I'd still watch that 10 times over Britannic anyday.

I could list the sucessful Franchises here but that would be a breach of board etiquette discussing non-ship related topics but there is always Email and am willing to discuss it there. but getting back to what you said Eric, All sequels were meant to cash in on the success of the first movie, some made it, some didn't.

There is NO sequel on the face of the earth that could top Cameron's TITANIC, no way no how.

Regards,
Bill

Apr 11, 2001
Well Britney Spears would be a shoo-in for Pamela Sue Martin. Too bad McCauley Culkin is too old to play that obnoxious boy. Stella and Ernie are gone now and are irreplaceable! I think Shelley Winters is still alive but Roseanne Barr could do the job. Tom Hanks could manage Gene Hackman's part- Red Buttons and Roddy MacDowell are gone too- how sad- . Hard to imagine anyone replacing them they were all so unique and had such a singular style.