Poseidon Adventure

Apr 11, 2001
May 3, 2002
Wellington, New Zealand
Hey!

I have just uncovered news that Wolfgang Petersen of Perfect Storm fame has a remake project of the POSEIDON ADVENTURE in early production. using "Poseidon Adventur remake" in your google engines you'll find something on this.

NOW happy hunting

cheers

Martin

May 5, 2001
Well, if Wolfgang Peterson is doing a remake of this film, there is a chance for it.

The only other movie I have ever seen more times than "The Poseidon Adventure" is "The Final Countdown".

Oh hell, they are remaking EVERYTHING lately, some of them BADLY, why not this one?

I'm all for it...

"For 40 years you've told me what to do, now I'm telling you, WE GO FORWARD!"

Regards,
Bill

Apr 11, 2001
I heard about this one too- I just can't imagine anybody replacing Stella Stevens and old Ernie-not even close. I hear when asked for autographs, Stella still inscribes her immortal, "Panties- what else do I need?"

Jim Kalafus

Dec 3, 2000
We've often speculated on who would be good for various parts in the remake. Brittney Spears would make a wonderfully vapid Nonnie, of course. David Faustino and Christina Applegate of Married....With Children fame would be natural for Robin and Susan. Who better than the shrill Roseanne Barr Arnold to play the shrill Belle Rosen? Sheila Allen, if she is still acting (or for that matter, living) could reprise her triumphant part as the suppository dispensing nurse (BTW- has anyone noticed that in her final sequence "come with us reverend, come with us" an unnamed extra who looks like Sharon Tate's zombie lurches past? The resemblance is quite eerie) Were I to do a cameo myself I'd either like to play "You...you'd fancy bagpipes" or "Give me your hand, reverend! Give me your haaaaaannnnndddd."

Seriously, the remake is going to run into stylistic difficulty because A) if they play it for laughs they can't possible equal the original ("I need a monkey! Are you game?") and B) if they play it straight they will headbutt with the uncomfortable fact that the source material is fairly dumb ( Let us hope the plot device in which Susan is raped, sees it as an 'awakening' and spends the rest of the book hoping that she is pregnant after realising that her rapist is actually kind of cute, is once again left unexplored- and pray that Belle's gas and bladder problems will also remain buried in the book) What they need is a producer/director possessed of Irwin Allen's gift of taking a bad script and playing it utterly straight WITHOUT that annoying 'we're creating ART' aura.

Bill Willard

Mar 24, 2001
I'd be willing to bet that the new version is nothing like the old version, with different characters, and may go so far as a different result. I don't like remakes when I'm fond of the original. I will feel the same way with the new Johnny Depp portrayal of Willie Wonka in the new Wonka movie. Gene Wilder will always be Wonka to me.

Tracy Smith

Apr 20, 2012
South Carolina USA
Bill,

The Final Countdown is one of my favorite movies of all time. I've probably seen it as many times as you have, and I've got the novelization as well.

The Poseidon Adventure also has a novelization that I've got lying around here somewhere.

Jim Kalafus

Dec 3, 2000
The novel predated the film and was a genuinely weird book. It had a twist ending the movie SHOULD have had, which was that those who remained in the dining room escaped easily through the bow, while many of those who followed the 'rebellious' priest died. In short, a realistic ending. Was relieved, in Beyond the Posiedon Adventure to see that Sheila Allen's "nurse" character eventually survived but somehow had transformed herself into Shirley Jones during the long trek towards the bow.

May 12, 2005
I read the book, "The Poseidon Adventure," when I was about 11 and used to lay on the floor with it, looking up between paragraphs, trying to imagine walking on the ceiling. I was determined to know what that felt like. Having since been capsized in various ways, I can say that it's not what it's cracked up to be.

Some suggestions for stars in the remake of the topsy-turvy tragedy:

THE CAPTAIN - He's got to be played by Richard Simmons - come on, it's 2004, the ship has to have a gay skipper. Oh, wait, Leslie Nielson played the original.

LINDA ROGO - Stella Stevens would have to reprise this role, if she's still living, since no one could be more slutty or stupid. Okay, not true - there's Jessica Simpson.

BELLE ROSEN - Kathy Bates is a shoe-in. But she might get her ship-flick-scripts mixed up and start doing Molly Brown: "Jack, I hear you're just the man to have around in a sticky situation."

NONNIE - Marilyn Manson

THE PRIEST - Johnny Knoxville, my hero.

MANNY ROSEN - What about Macaulay Culkin? He must be old enough by now.

Apr 16, 2001
Despite her age, Stella still has kick. I met her at a New York fundraiser a few years ago and she looked wonderful. I believe she must be close to 70 now. Her personality was radiant, and she spoke to everyone who approached her.

I'll bet she'd be willing to give her former role a second try - she still has those classic heels which sealed her fate. She did tell me that while a stunt double did the famous catwalk "swan dive" death scene, Stella herself climbed the ladder in the shaft scene behind Gene Hackman - and despite those twelve-inch heels - never missed a rung!

Stella was such a delight - may she enjoy many more happy years. She spends much of her time doing charity work and truly seems to enjoy the interest others have for her most memorable role.

I did hear that nobody has heard from Eric Shea - the child actor who played Robin in the film. He sort of vanished into history after his role.

Jul 12, 2003
I'm having trouble posting so I hope this shows up...

Tracy, I agree with you about the two songs...kind of sappy. But, I would rather take one of them than that song called "Feelings"...LOL

Jan 28, 2003
12" heels??? Are you serious? Surely, nobody can wear 12" heels and do anything. At last week's Paris show the models wore 8" heels and had to have three burly men to get them off the catwalk safely. In my heyday, in the early 1970s, I don't remember wearing anything higher than 6" heels, and that was sheer hell. I'm in trainers now... the sheer heaven...

Tracy Smith

Apr 20, 2012
South Carolina USA
I remember wearing six inch heels at my high school graduation, which brought me up to 6'5". I can't imagine wearing anything like that now. I just about live in sneakers.

Mar 28, 2002
This is the state of the original cast of the Poseidon Adventure as they are now:

GENE HACKMAN (Rev Scott): aged 74
ERNEST BORGNINE (Mike Rogo): aged 87
STELLA STEVENS (Linda Rogo): aged 67
SHELLEY WINTERS (Belle Rosen): aged 81 (I was convinced she was dead)
JACK ALBERTSON (Manny Rosen): was 74 when he died in 1981
RODDY McDOWALL (Acres): was 70 when he died in 1998
CAROL LYNLEY (Nonnie Parry): aged 62
RED BUTTONS (James Martin): aged 85
PAMELA SUE MARTIN (Susan Shelby): aged 50
ERIC SHEA (Robin Shelby): aged 44! (vanished though, in 1978)
ARTHUR O'CONNELL (Chaplain John): was 73 when he died in 1981
LESLIE NIELSEN (Capt Harrison): aged 78
SHEILA ALLEN (Nurse): aged 75
STUART PERRY (Teddy Parry, Nonnie's brother): disappeared into obscurity (last heard of in 1973)

Perhaps they could all play parts in a blue-rinse version.

Cheers,

Boz

Apr 16, 2001
Hi Monica,

LOL, I'm sure they weren't 12" heels (can u imagine?), but rather an expression that Stella and others were using, mostly to draw attention and humor to them. They looked more like 6 inchers but don't know for sure. They certainly made an impression - its amazing Stella's character Linda got as far as she did walking on that catwalk with those platform heels still fastened. She had pretty much removed every other article of clothing during the film except her jewelry, including that noticeable rock on her finger, and those heels.

When I saw Stella a few years ago, she was wearing flats
happy.gif

Best,

Mike Findlay

Apr 16, 2001
Hi Ian,

Thanks for the info on the cast. I figured Stella was close to 70.

Does anyone know whatever became of the actor who played that awful "pompous-ass" purser?

I remember seeing the actor who played the owner's representative, Mr. Linokos, on a number of television shows during the 1980s but read that he died a few years ago. "Now, order FULL AHEAD"
happy.gif

Regards,

Mike Findlay

Apr 11, 2001
Stella's just 66 and maintains her own website actually- born in 1938 and looking pretty fabulous for ANY age. She has plenty on the burner career-wise, although some of her sci-fi efforts and horror genre flicks are well, maybe "B" movie fodder!
I'm glad to see she loves her fans and makes time for them.
http://www.stellavisions.com