Possible crew member relative on board

Alison Smith

Oct 29, 2006
When my mother was a child she was told that her Aunt Biddy was the widow of an officer (?) lost on The Titanic. She had no idea of his name and there is no one left alive to ask who might know - in any case my grandmother's side of the family were slightly at odds with my grandfather's after his death in 1929.

My great aunt's maiden name was Bridget Feeney, she was born in South Shields in 1884 and was probably living already living in Liverpool. I have no idea of her first husband's name because she married again and no one knows her second husband's name either. When my mother knew her, she had no children though I understand there was a little girl who died.

Can anyone help? I know experts have the most amazing info tucked away in filing cabinets or data bases. I am a bit suspicious of the officer claim because the family were not middle class or well off. However, I would say that in following up what little my mother could tell me in other aspects of family history, the information she had is usually accurate, so fingers crossed.

Thank you.

Alison Smith

Oct 29, 2006
TY for these.

I have checked the links and none fit the situation above. I am not surprised as my family was not really officer's wife material.

However, as I said, we don't actually know the chap's name.

I just wondered if anyone knew of a man who died leaving a wife called Bridget in Liverpool?

Dave Gittins

Apr 11, 2001
Alison, as I've said elsewhere, the way to solve these things is to work backwards from the present generation. It's not that hard to do, though systems vary from place to place. Weddings are on public records and 1912 is not so long ago. I have my English ancestors for centuries back, thanks to diligent research by a relative. You'll need time and money but the truth is out there!

Aug 2, 2006
It could be helpful to search Liverpool and click the first match. That will show you Titanic connections to Liverpool and it might give you a few names. You questioned if it was an officer so it could have been another crew member.
Grant

Brian Ahern

Dec 19, 2002
Alison - many people stop by to ask about relatives who family legend puts on the Titanic. I'm sure there's often a grain of truth.

Perhaps your aunt was married to a man who died in a different shipwreck that morphed into the Titanic in family history? Titanic was only a few short years before ships started going down in large numbers on a regular basis.

Just my two cents...

Regards.

A

Andrew Williams

Alison -- Just clarifying for the record.

At the moment, I am collating a lot of details dealing with the Titanic Relief Fund, especially with the Southampton Committee.

I can confirm quite categorically, that I have never seen the name of Bridget ever quoted or written in any of the Minute Book's associated with the Southampton Committee.

I would advise you in this instance to take notice of the statement by what Dave Gittins, has submitted.

Good luck with your search.

Andrew W.

[Moderator's notes: 1. This post and the ones immediately above it, originally posted in a separate topic, have been moved to here. 2. The title of this thread has been renamed to better reflect what is being discussed. JDT]

Oct 7, 2009
Yet another hurdle that leads researchers of Titanic family history into dark paths is unfortunately that some are possibly the children of crew members that may have been out of wedlock, though it is no great deal nowdays remember it was "Oh so unspeakable " in those days and perhaps even more so where officers where involved.

C

Crystal Von

You can count out Moody out,Moody was the only officer that was not married at the time of his death.
Count Smith out too! Smith was married to Sarah with a 14 year old daughter at the time of his death.

That leaves,Officer Lowe,Lightoller,Boxhall,Pittman,uncounterd for.

C

Crystal Von

Posted by original poster: Allison Smith.

>>When my mother was a child she was told that her Aunt Biddy was the widow of an officer (?) lost on The Titanic.<<

Posted by Ernie:
>>Direct descendants of E J Smith have been ruled out, but he had cousins.<<

Ernie,
Captain Smith had cousins and a half brother but none were officers board the Titanic that perished in the disaster.
I may have misinterpreted you,both Ernie/Allison,I apologize to you both,if I had done.

Ernie Luck

Nov 24, 2004
It's okay Crystal, the error was mine - I misread the topic heading and the answer I gave was inappropriate.