Possible lost photo of sinking

• Thread starter Charles Robert Westfall
  • Start date

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ben Holme

Hi Daniel,

If you don't mind my asking; what is your source for Mrs. Fleganheim and Philip Mock having brought (or used) their cameras on board? I have found very few references pertaining to either passengers' actions/movements on the evening of April 14th.

Regards,
Ben

Mark,

No sorry, I didn't get an e-mail from you. My account is known to play up at times. If you can, please send it again. I've been meaning to e-mail you recently but have not yet had the time.

Ben,

I have no idea whether these passengers had actually used the cameras during the night, most probably not. But they did have cameras on board with them. My info for them having a camera comes from their lost property claims filed against the WSL. Mrs. Flegenheim filed for:

1 Kodac Camera" -- $25.00

Mr. Philip Mock filed for:

1 Camera - "Goerz" Lens -- $100.00
1 Kodak -- $10.00
1 Tripod -- $5.00

I'm sure there are other passengers that have filed for cameras (but I don't have the claim yet or have not found it amongst the claims I have) or the passengers simply didn't feel it necessary to include it on the claims. Then there were those that did not file claims ....

Regards,

Daniel.

Hi All..
although very skeptical, even a dark, grainy photo which captured that moment would be incredible to see after all these years. As far as a photo of such importance being kept a secret for some 90 years...it IS possible..this was illustrated with the emergence of the "authentic Gibralter" iceberg photo which was only discovered in 2000 after being locked away in a private collection. (although this has yet to be confirmed) Even if night photos were probably never taken in those days, an event such as this should have encouraged someone with a camera to at least try.

Richard said; "Even if night photos were probably never taken in those days, an event such as this should have encouraged someone with a camera to at least try."

I suspect that they had other things on their mind. Like; How do I avoid getting killed?
wink.gif

Cordially,
Michael H. Standart

If I may expand upon what Randy said some time ago, the exposure time for such a photograph would have been in the vicinity of 45 seconds to several minutes depending on the film (or plates) used and the camera, and would have to have been taken from an immobile vantage point. So long an exposure in a moving lifeboat would have resulted in, at best, streaks of light against a black background.

touche Michael...i guess we tend to forget the terrifying reality experienced by the Titanic victims that fateful night..maybe because we can't even begin to imagine, as we sit here comfortably at our computers. James, you also make an excellent point..but theoretically, could someone have taken a successful photo on the well lit deck during the loading of lifeboats ? also, do you know if any cameras were recovered ? any photos during the trip ? i apologize if this has been covered already, but i'm new to this site.

This has been touched upon elsewhere on the board, but a camera was recovered with some, either prints or some negatives. Either way the images were impossible to recover, otherwise I'm sure this would have been well known through news or other Titanic boards.

Daniel.

Daniel, I believe what you're referring to is some old film that was found in a shed in England that had been forgotten years after the photographer had passed away and his property changed hands. Some of the footage was shown in recent documentaries and I believe is being sold in England. Those on the other side of the pond please correct me if I'm wrong.

Kyrila

Kyrila,

The film that you speek of wasn't actually found in a shed, that's just the clever lead on the back of the video jacket. Who knows, maybe a copy of it was found in a shed, but it certainly isn't anything new. The only Titanic footage is the famous short clip of her being fitted out. The rest is Olympic, and albeit interesting, it is nothing more than nickelodeon footage from 1912.

David

Kyrila,

No some camera and either actual photographic prints or some negatives (I think 11 of whatever it was) were recovered from the ocean floor, during the 2000 RMSTI dive. I heard (or read) that no images could be seen. I really don't know much about this, just snippets I saw. What I saw on the RMSTI web site was that a camera and 11 negatives were found, but later heard that they were actual prints and either way no image could be seen as they were quite severely destroyed after 88 years on the ocean floor. I'd love to hear if anyone knows more about this.

Daniel.

Status
Not open for further replies.