Possible Titanic life vest

mike rios

Mar 29, 2007
Hello,I jus purchased at auction an entire woodworking buisness antique tools new tools nautical items portholes ships mast ect.Also in it were 3 life vest old and tatered 1 cork 1 balsa wood and 1 with tag from the 40s the newest of the 3.I was going to toss them untill i opened 1 and it said TITANIC on the back Stenciled but very old stencil, that is the cork 1 it says more Dodge cork Co.Inc.Lancaster PA. You can see the cork inside.I took it to the Meriners Museum The curater could not rule it in or out.We held it next to the Titanic Life vest on display same stiching same canvis but mine is wrap around the style is not the same.I left with not much more than I went in with.I have searched the web and found dodge in lancaster pa. in 1911 Dodge history but no info on if they made life vest for Titanic.I know the ship came from England but could they have commisiond us to make life vest.The curater said there was more than 1 Titanic could it be from one of those ships.The 2nd life vest is made with balsa wood it says Poseidon.I found a ship sank in 1918 off the east coast 1918 the second does not say dodge but looks just as old the 3rd one has Tag says The Sportster by TA-pal-Co Never lets you down. The American PAC & Textile co Greenfeild Ohio.It is like pillow rolls and not torn There is another tag says alot but the date is april 25th 1940.If you can Help I will take pics and send them to you.I am having hard time finding info.Thanks

[Moderator's note: This post, originally posted in a different topic has been moved to the one addressing the same subject. JDT]

Dave Gittins

Apr 11, 2001
There was a Titanic that was commissioned in 1888. She was a freighter. There was also a tanker that operated until about 1994. I don't know if the first ship was American.

I think it's highly unlikely that Titanic's lifebelts contained anything from the USA and I'm pretty certain that the name of the ship was not on them. In fact, the use of the names Titanic and Poseidon suggest to me that somebody has been having a little fun.

Remember that the name Titanic could be used as a brand name. I've seen it used for tools and shoes.

mike rios

Mar 29, 2007
I'm trying to get some pics up so maybe someone can help with finding Dodge Cork Co. So I can Identify this Cork Vest I have spent hours I did find Dodge Cork Co. in Lancaster Pa. in 1911 It didn't say what they were making.
titanic_002_copy2.jpg

titanic_001_copy2.jpg

There has to be some kind of history here It is a Cork life vest it Does have the maker.Help !!

mike rios

Mar 29, 2007
I did put in a call got the person that answered did not know anything was going to pass on info.Im hoping someone knows history and calls me back.

mike rios

Mar 29, 2007
Its a life vest not belt.The stitching canvis, cork & straps are all the same. The style is not your correct(although there were 3500 on board)how many typs could there be.It is of the same era. I was told by the Titanic Cordinater.Even if its not from the Titanic from what Ive found so far on the net You cant get a Cork life vest they are very rare.So I am still very curios as to this life vests history.The wood working shop it came from did custom Marine woodwork.Nothing in the items was a joke.Antique tools from england to dewalt from today.Rare portholes to ships mast.from a little town in Virginia by the water.The original owner has passed taking all info with him.They tried for 12 months to find family before auction For back rent.So im still looking for info and will upload more pics of other vests soon.Thanks for any feedback given good or bad.I am only sharing what Ive found out so far.I will keep everyone posted if I find out more.If you know anything I would love to hear from you !!

Dec 2, 2000
Easley South Carolina
>>Its a life vest not belt.<<

We know that. Be advised that the appliances in question were referred to as lifebelts even though they were woven, styled, and put on as vests.

>>The style is not your correct(although there were 3500 on board)how many typs could there be.<<

One, with a size range for children to adults. Beyond that, there's no reason for them to be different. The ship was outfitted with materials from the same contractors who made goods to a given set of specifications. There was just no reason to get a lifebelt/vest from a hodgepodge of contractors who were all over the place.

>>Even if its not from the Titanic <<

It's not.

It may have a certain value as a period piece to the maritime collector, but the fact that somebody had Titanic printed on it would take away from that value. Adulterated goods rarely ever have the same value as the same article in pristine condition.

Jon Brockman

Oct 2, 2006
Hi, i have been fortunate to see a real Titanic lifejacket up close and as said above they are of a completely different style to the one pictured and definatley did not have Titanic stamped on them, as far as i know titanic only carried this type of jacket which was made by Fosbery and Co here in the UK, they went over the head, and six cork squares each side

Dave Gittins

Apr 11, 2001
Mike, the design of Titanic's lifebelts was prescribed by the Board of Trade and they were certainly all the same. The specifications were very detailed, right down to the number of threads per inch in the linen (not canvas) covering.

I believe there is some question over whether they came in different sizes. The question was raised in Lord Mersey's court, but nobody knew the answer. I'm pretty sure it's not in the regulations.

Terminology has varied over the years. In 1912 they were usually lifebelts, because originally they were buoyancy worn round the waist. Sometimes they was called life preservers, but in England that was ambiguous, because in England a life preserver was a heavy club, carried for self-defence. Today they are Personal Floatation Devices, Type 1. Such is progress!

mike rios

Mar 29, 2007
Thanks,I didnt mean anything and thanks for the info.Im still wondering if I found a piece of history or should I say what piece of history.

mike rios

Mar 29, 2007
I have posted all 3 life vests for sale on e-bay.
1.Cork 1.Balsa wood 1.Kapok a very nice collection someone could probably house them corectly make a nice collection.I took alot of pics if you would like to see look up on e-bay.Thanks for your help here.This is a very nice site.

Spencer Knarr

Jun 16, 2004
Hold up just one second. You posted on here and were told outright by some very respected Titanic experts that this has NO chance of being an authentic Titanic lifebelt; but that still didn't stop you from posting it on ebay in an effort to pass it off as "possibly" being from the Titanic?? Shameful...

http://cgi.ebay.com,snip

[Moderator's note: Edited link due to width requirements. JDT]

"Possible TITANIC CORK LIFE VEST"

"We held it next to the Titanic Life vest on display - same stiching, same canvas"

"I took it to the Mariners Museum. The curator could not rule it in or out."