Possible

Jan 21, 2003
Sorry if this topic has been brought up before, but here it goes. If the bow didnt stay connected to the stern would it have been possible for the stern to stay afloat? Also instead of stopping the ship after impact, and just making full speed, would that have prevented her demise?

S

Sean C. Corenki

Chris...The Titanic would have foundered bow on or off, the damage was already done and the consequences were irreversible. Maintaining full speed after impact would have hastened her demise,and quite possibly the demise of another 700+ passengers and crew. The forward motion of the ship would increase hydrostatic pressure of the water entering the breached hull plates and the ship would have flooded more rapidly. Keep in mind also that lifeboats could not have been launched if the ship were moving. The Titanic's crew was barely able to launch all of her boats between the impact and the time the ship foundered, remember that the last collapsible was floated off. Maintaining forward speed would have been a disastrous move. Regards, Sean

Jun 12, 2004
You'd think Captain Barrett would have known better than to go full speed after collision (if, as according to the movie, that's what actually happened). My knowledge on the Britannic is limited, so my comments are restricted to the movie, sorry.

Jan 21, 2003
Good point Jason, but remember she had much larger damage but it you are correct. I was just think with the minimal damage compared to other sinkings it would have been possible to run her at full speed.

Jason D. Tiller

Dec 3, 2000
Niagara Falls, Ontario
That's true Chris, but if Titanic had made full speed after the collision, the rate of flooding would have increased dramatically no matter what. Don't forget, even with the miminal damage, tons of water was still pouring into the ship within the first ten minutes.

It would have been futile anyways, as she was nowhere near land unlike her younger sister, but even that didn't help the Britannic.

Dec 2, 2000
Easley South Carolina
Hi Mark, while the movie may have exaggerated some if not a lot of what happened (It was pretty cavalier with real history) the Britannic did indeed begin making way after the explosion. With land little more then three miles away, the Captain had hoped to save his ship by beaching her. It might have worked too...IF land had been closer, IF the portholes on E-deck hadn't been open, IF the watertight doors to the machinary spaces been closed, IF....mmmmmmmmm...lotta "IF'S" here!

Chris, all I can do is point out that making way on a ship with a busted nose is not a very good idea. It's one of those moves gauranteed to aggravate damage and also accelerate the inflow of water from hydrodynamic forces. Bear in mind that the best read of the evidence would tend to indicate that what happened to the Titanic was a grounding/allision event. If such is the case, then there would have already been signifigent structural damage done to the bow section.

Feb 24, 2004
And the Titanic did proceed at somewhat less than half speed for an unspecified time following its initial stop. That didn't seem to do it much good either.

Erik Wood

Apr 10, 2001
I would have to concur with Mike's assessment with some additions. The main reason for not wanting to get back underway after nose or stem damage is...at best complicated.

More pressure means more internal damage, more internal damage means no matter what you have done to contain water the structure won't support it or water.