Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 18, 2002
I have a postcard of the Titanic postmarked April 19, 1912 from New York City (the place and date after the Carpathia arrived with its unexpected passengers). It has a terse note on it which says "All who were saved arrived here last night". It was addressed to a Rhesa Harris in Roanoke, Virginia, and it was initialed by an RH (I can't be certain about that). Does anyone know who this person who sent the card might have been? I thought that it was Mrs. Rene Harris, the wife of the Broadway producer who perished, but I discussed this with a Titanic contact who knew her personally in her later life; he didn't think that she was the one who signed it, as she was grief-struck for days after the tragedy and probably would not have been composed enough to write postcards so soon after arriving home. Nor could I find in an geneology site a listing for a Rhesa Harris. Thanks for any help on this one.

Bruce Tompkins
[email protected]

George Behe

Dec 11, 1999
Hi, Bruce!

IMO it's pretty likely that the card was sent by a resident of New York City who purchased a souvenir Titanic postcard but who had no direct connection with the disaster. (I have one or two similar cards in my own collection and know of several others.)

All my best,

George

Dec 13, 1999
Hi George, New Titanic postcard coming up for auction. Alex Thomson (3rd class) usual ship very comfortable - smooth crossing etc. etc. auctioneers are expecting a nice price

Geoff

George Behe

Dec 11, 1999
Hi, Geoff!

Thanks very much for the tip! Would it be possible for you to provide me with more details about this card (either on ET or privately)?

I'm very grateful to you for making me aware of this latest find, old chap.

WSOM

George

Dec 13, 1999
Hi George, One of the Scottish newspapers phoned me to tell me about it. The sale is at Sothebys although they were not sure of the exact date - all I know is that it was from Thomson to his wife.

Geoff

George Behe

Dec 11, 1999
Thanks very much, Geoff -- I appreciate your help. I'll do my best to add the card's text to the pile of similar documents that's littering our dining room table. :)

Hope you and Alma are well, old chap, and that your brand new grandchild is thriving in the atmosphere of love that I know surrounds her. (Pat and I send her our love as well.)

WSOM

George

james graham

Jun 18, 2005
Hi folks ive just joined ive had a great interest for years in the Titanic! im not too sure how to use this site yet. My prize posession is a signed post card by Millvina Dean no. 39 of 100 issued- does anybody else have any of these and do you think it is legit?

Status
Not open for further replies.