Posted from Titanic postcard

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tracy Boddy

Apr 6, 2007
I have a postcard which is stamped on the back POSTED FROM TITANIC, It has an Edwardian stamp and is addressed to Miss Leich, Medical Hall, Greenlaw. Is it original? What is its worth? There is no postdate and I know nothing of its history.
titanic_card.doc

Bob Godfrey

Nov 22, 2002
UK
Hallo, Tracy. Despite the wording stamped on the card, it isn't franked with a Queenstown postmark so it was never posted. There's so message, so it doesn't seem to have been ready for posting anyway. As I read it, the spelling of the addressee's name is Leitch, and there was a 2nd Class passenger called Jessie Leitch, who survived. She was Scottish, so might well have had family in Greenlaw. But it would be hard to establish a connection beyond any doubt. What's on the other side of the card, and where did you find it?

Tracy Boddy

Apr 6, 2007
Its a photo of a Scottish Loch called Katrine entitled "The Silver Strand and Benvenue, Loch Katrine" The card is black and white, made by Marshall Wane and co. No. 48.
I got it from Ebay for 99p, the seller had no idea of its history.

Bob Godfrey

Nov 22, 2002
UK
OK. Well, the card itself was almost certainly sold in Scotland, and definitely not on the Titanic. Neither was the stamp, which dates from several years earlier (George V was on the throne in 1912). The card wasn't posted on the Titanic (or anywhere else), and carries no message or sender's name. Despite the words stamped on the back, I can't see any evidence to connect it with the ship. As to its value to collectors, well, it's already been on Ebay and the high bid was 99p. Not much more I can say, I'm afraid.

Status
Not open for further replies.