Postfire pics of Normandie

John Zoppina

Feb 5, 2005
Hi everyone,

I was just wondering if any of you knew about any post-fire photographs of Normandie. I don't mean with her on her side... I mean after she was righted and what have you.

Also, just wondering, do any of you know why the French Line didn't want Normandie back after the fire? I mean yes, big fire and all... did they deem it impractical to fund her restoration to service?

Thanks,
John

Jul 11, 2001
Hi John,

There is a good book on the Normandie. It is called "Picture History of the Normandie" by Frank O. Braynard. The ISBN# 0-486-25257-4. It has 190 photos of the ship from construction to demise. This includes the pics of the ship being righted after the fire, plus it being towed to the scrapyard and being cut into small pieces. A very sad ending indeed.

The Navy had to cut off the superstructure to reduce the weight in order to raise the ship. Plans were for our Navy to convert it to a troop ship or an aircraft carrier, but the war ended and it was now no longer needed. President Roosevelt even had a study done by William Francis Gibbs to see if it could be converted back to a passenger liner, but the cost was too great. The US Government had already spent millions on renting the pier and the salvage operation.

Even as the ship was being towed to the scrapyard, the designer Vladimir Yourkevitch begged them to hold off until he could raise the money himself to save her. He never did and never came back to see her before it was over. It was said that it broke his heart.

Jim Kalafus

Dec 3, 2000
John: I posted several, unpublished, on a thread here at ET by the title of Normandie: Final Voyage Photos. They were taken on Thanksgiving Day 1946 from a bridge abutment in New Jersey as the Lipsett ex Normandie was towed past.

If you need better quality scans let me know and I can send them.
~Jim

Jon Hollis

Jan 23, 2004
John, Had to reply to your inquiry on this thread as the Normandie Super Model Page would not come up. Your question about the model to Long Beach. I was talking to Father Pirrone last week and he tells me that the case is now under construction. But the model has not yet gone to QM1 but he will keep me posted and I will forward info as I rec it. Ed Kamuda of THS told me that they plan to do an article with pictures of Father Pirrones model in one of the upcoming Commutators. Let me know if you got and read this. Don't know why the Normandie Super Model Thread will not come up ANYONE????
Cheers and al the best Jon Hollis

Jon Hollis

Jan 23, 2004
Attn: Moderator or ??
Can you find out why the Thread Normandie Super Model page does nothing just sits there as a blank page waited 15 minutes for something to happen but Zilch!
Please advise soonest via my e-mail [email protected]
Thanks Much
Jon

Paul Rogers

Nov 30, 2000
West Sussex, UK
Seems to load ok for me...

There are a large number of photos on the thread, which would have an effect if one were accessing the thread via dial-up. That aside, I have no idea why it wouldn't load for you, Jon. Anyone else had problems?

Jon Hollis

Jan 23, 2004
Paul Thanks for checking out the problem. I hooked up my laptop to the dial up phone line and got the page and pics on the lap top. So as I told Mike must be my desktop is going through the change of life bit again. Thank for the help. Cheers Jon. For John Zoppina, John forgot to say that Father Pirrone said he hopes the model will be on board QM in September. Keep a lookout for news on that and the THS Commutator. Cheers ALL Jon