Preferred Movie List

Kammy Tribus

Aug 6, 2006
Hi All,

Forgive me if this information is available elsewhere on this site. I would like to have a list of recommended movies, including documentaries, which the people here consider worthwhile viewing. It would be great to see a recommended movie list on a page somewhere for newcomers.

I have been to Amazon and looked at what they have for Titanic films. I've read reviews and recommendations and now I have a huge headache! I thought it better to ask here. Of course, a reading list would be wonderful as well but I'm not asking for that right now. I have kids - I don't have much time to read!
happy.gif

Thanks in advance.

Kammy

Dec 3, 2005
As far as Titanic films go, the general consensus is that A Night To Remember is best. To be sure, it's my favorite one simply because it feels the most authentic, even if it does show her sinking in one piece.

Kammy Tribus

Aug 6, 2006
Thank you Peter. I have seen many other recommendations for ANTR here. I even recall reading quite a few on the Amazon site - LOL! Could you give your opinion on some other movies? How about documentaries? It seemed that for a while there, the cable channels were working the topic of the Titanic into the ground! There is a huge selection of these on Amazon. What are some of the documentaries you particularly like?

Also, I have heard and read that "Raise the Titanic" was simply awful. Is this one of those horrible movies that is so bad it can be fun to watch?
happy.gif

Kammy

Dec 3, 2005
James Cameron's "Ghosts of the Abyss" documentary was very interesting. He sent his robots deep into the ship to places not seen in 90+ years. In my eyes, it redeemed him for the annoying dialogue and sappiness in "Titanic." The companion book is good, too. I found a copy for $10. As for Raise the Titanic, I've not seen it. The consensus seems to be that it was an interesting concept undone by bad writing. I suppose if you want a ridiculously bad to laugh/cry at, there's an animated Titanic movie that captures the feel of a sinking ship in the sense that its such an image of horror that it's hard to look away.

J

Jon Meadows

The best parts of "Raise the Titanic" are the underwater sequences. The most thrilling is when the Titanic breaks the surface (woops, maybe I ruined it for someone). The mix of the incredible model work and the incredible score by John Barry gives me goosebumps every time. The rest of the movie is a dud. But worth checking out for the exploration and raising sequences. I found a great DVD version overseas that has an interesting trivia track and is in widescreen. Beautiful.

My only complaint with "Ghosts of the Abyss" is Bill Paxton. He's too Hollywood and he really goes through my head like a nail.

Kammy Tribus

Aug 6, 2006
OK, I finally parted with some cash and ordered a few items from Amazon, based on your kind recommendations. I really appreciate the help here.

I've ordered ANTR which I have seen but it was many years ago. It happened to come with SOS Titanic at a discount so I threw that into my cart as well. I've also ordered Ghosts of the Abyss, plus one other that I can't remember but it was on sale so what the heck!

Given time, I will probably amass a good collection of DVD's and books. What a wonderful place this board is to learn about resource material.

Thank you again for all your suggestions!

Kammy

Kammy Tribus

Aug 6, 2006
Hi Everyone,

My box from amazon.com finally arrived bringing with it ANTR; SOS Titanic; Titanic (TV movie); Ghosts of the Abyss; and Final Moments of the Titanic. I think that will keep me busy for a while!

And it's going to be a while before I can save my pennies for some new movies. If anyone wants to continue adding to this movie list, please do so! Thank you for all your enlightening help.

Kammy

Nov 26, 2005
Well, it's not a "great" 'T' flick, but 'Atlantic' a.k.a. 'Titanic: Disaster in the Atlantic' on DVD, is a decent choice for the Titanic movie buff's collection.

I'll repeat, it's not a great flick, and it shows a lot of damage to the film quality over time (it was made in 1929 and it SHOWS). But, it is a flick based on the Titanic disaster and one of the earliest films made about the disaster available on DVD or VHS. Quite the time piece. The sound quality isn't so great, but you should be able to find a copy on one of the online stores fairly cheap. I'm talking in the $10.00 (US) range.

It's full of inaccuracies, but also gives respect to several known facts about the Titanic disaster. You'll have to check it out on the Internet Movie Database or Amazon.com for details and reviews. I like it, but I'm a Titanic movie buff like you wouldn't believe.

There's only one other film I can think of that you probably won't have, and it's the very first Titanic flick (that still exists), which is called 'In Nacht Und Eis' (In Night and Ice), which was made in 1912. A silent film, needless to say. For the most part, accurate for what they knew so soon after the disaster took place. It covers the basics: ship hits iceberg, people panic, lifeboats launched, band plays, ship sinks, etc. But doesn't go much further than that. It's about 30 minutes in length. It's truly a T. film collector's treasure, but unfortunately it's not available to the general public.

'Raise The Titanic' (and I have to agree with Jon 110%, is great for it's moody underwater sequences and it's WONDERFUL soundtrack, plus the magnificent rising of the great ship) is excellent, but bad dialog and some bad acting plagues this movie with the exception of the few good scenes we've mentioned. The dialog really isn't all that bad, but if you read the book by Clive Cussler, you'll look at the movie as a bad joke. All in all, I would recommend it to the Titanic movie collector. Just for s**** and giggles if for nothing else. It does feature some remarkable special effects for the time it was made.

I tend to differ from most opinions of the 1996 George C. Scott film 'Titanic'. I found it very entertaining, although not very accurate. I, however, was impressed by the fact that a television movie went to such strides to try and make the "look" of the ship as accurate as possible given the limited budget they had to work with. The love story and (well, most of it) is more sappy than JC's 'Titanic'. However, I for some reason, still highly enjoy it.

I will warn you away from the 2000 production of 'Britannic'. If you're into movies about ships sinking in general, I guess it's okay. But if you're looking for historical accuracy of any kind, find a good book about Britannic. This movie falls short of historical accuracy on so many levels that I don't dare try to list them. I'd be up all night. Basically, 'Britannic' (2000) was made as a cheap rip-off of 'Titanic' (1997) and the only accuracy that I can tell is the look of the ship herself, and even that had quite a few flaws. So I wouldn't bother with it unless you're nostalgic for a sinking-ship flick.

'Titanic' (1953) with Clifton Webb and Barbara Stanwick is a good movie, but it uses the Titanic as more of a "vehicle" for the story of a couple in the midst of a nasty divorce and the struggle for "how the kids will be raised", so to speak. It's good, but FULL of inaccuracies. Moreso than the other flicks I have mentioned above. Still, decent and it does touch the heart on quite a few levels. I'd recommend it for the T. movie collector's collection.

S.O.S. Titanic; well, you've got it ordered so I'll let you decide for yourself. It's good and offers it's share of stuff not featured in previous Titanic films (2nd Class), though it's got it's inaccuracies just like any Titanic flick does. The thing that stands out most in my mind is that it's VERY obvious that the ship used in filming was the Queen Mary. And 3rd Class in this film is FAR more luxurious than it really was. All T. films take their own liberties though, so take what you see in most of them with a grain of salt.

Last, but not least, is 'A Night To Remember'. This is by FAR the most educational dramatic depiction of the Titanic that has ever hit the silver screen. HIGHLY recommended, as you have seen. No Titanic movie collection can dare be completed without it. A truely remarkable film. I'm glad to see you've got it. It's truly the best, IMO.

Sorry for making this post so long, Kammy, but I wanted to let you know as much as I could while I'm here. (I've been traveling a lot here lately and don't get much chance to post.)

I hope that, at least, a little of this helps. Enjoy your Titanic flicks!! There's something to enjoy in all of them, IMO (don't shoot me historians!!).

Matt

May 3, 2005
Another "Titanic" available is a DVD of a TV miniseries entitled "The Titanic" which features George C. Scott as Captain Smith. It is a bit melodramatic with J. Bruce Ismay and Molly Brown rather badly miscast in my opinion,in addition to a horribly villainous steward and some "historical and technical inaccuracies". However, it does have some features worth the watching such as : The actress playing Madeline Astor is about the right age for the part. Captain Rostron and the Carpathia are given a bit more development than in the other
"Titanic" movies. Also, you can hardly beat the price - $7.99 at Fry's Electronics.

>>I hope that, at least, a little of this helps. Enjoy your Titanic flicks!! There's something to enjoy in all of them, IMO (don't shoot me historians!!).<<

My sentiments, too, thank you Matthew.

Regards,
Robert