Pregnant or Conceived on Titanic

M

mary mason

being married at 13/14 may sound young, but back then in places like lebanon as soon as girls reached puberty they were ready for marriage.

B

bethany kay simmons

I am currently studYing the titanic and each and every passenger on it. I was wondering if there were any pregnant women and if so what class were they and when were they do and what they had and when they had them.

M

mary mason

Bethany, i've done a list of the pregnant women, what they had and when etc. if no-one has replied by tomorrow, i will put the list up here for you ok?

C

Charlotte Immel

Hi Bethany off the top of my head I know that Mrs.Astor was pregnant but i dont know her due dates or anything, sorry. I hope this helps! Bye!

T

Tony Sheils

Bethany, this question has come up before on ET. See the thread "Pregnant or Conceived on Titanic". In particular see Mike Herbold's contribution of 14 May 2001. According to an article written and published by Robert Bracken and Mike Findlay eleven women were pregnant on Titanic: 5 in 1st class, 5 in 2nd class, and 1 in 3rd class. There have been a few updates and corrections since then. I hope this will help you.

B

bethany kay simmons

Mary I would like to see the list that you have produced. You can either put it on here or you can e-mail it to me my address is [email protected] Thanks to everyone who answered this question.

S

Stephanie Stokes

I don't remeber reading anywhere that any babies were born on the Titanic.But to be sure were there any babies born on the Titanic?Or babies that were born shortly after the sinking?

Bill Willard

Bill Willard

According to my records, there were definitely no children born on Titanic. There were five children born within ten months of the sinking. Of course, the Astor child was one of them.

Of the five, one was born almost nine months to the day of the sinking, which is a romanticized opportunity to say the child was conceived while the parents were on the ship. The other four are much less than nine months.

L

Laura Melinda Varjo

These two women, Mary and Elin, victims of the disaster,of second and third class were both 30 years old when Titanic sank. Both were pregnant at the time, as I found out from a different Titanic site yesterday. Well, I was just wondering, shouldn't their children be counted as victims as well ? They were living, and their lives were taken away because their mothers died. Even though we may not know their gender or names, they should be counted in. Like that, 56 children were lost in the tragedy.It's very terrible, but they should not be forgotten.

Laura

S

Susan Alby

Hi Laura-
You have brought up an important point. Both unborn babies should have been counted as victims. Do you know at what stages of pregnancy they were in at the time?

Susan

L

Laura Melinda Varjo

Hi Susan,

Aah-not really, I'm sorry, I don't think the site said that. It was kinda like a statistics section of a site, and I was looking how many men, women, children died, survived, statistics about Titanic...and they had a column where Mary and Elin were listed like that.

Laura

H

Hildur Panula-Heinonen

I know that Mrs.Adele Nasser(2nd class), who was 14 and married to Nicholas Nasser, had a son in dec 1912, but he died after only hours alive.

H

Hildur Panula-Heinonen

Adele Nasser 's death date(i forgot, check her bio) tells that she would have been 14 in 1912.I heard in a book about Titanic, that she named her son Nickolas, after her husband

[Moderator's Note: Three separate threads have been merged here, and a post that became redundant as a result of the merger has been deleted. MAB]

H

Hildur Panula-Heinonen

A few woman were pregnant while on the Titanic. I know of two:
Maria Backstrom 33, was around 6/7 months pregnant. She gave birth to a daughter in June 1912

Adele Nasser, 14, was newly pregnant, and had a son on 9 Dec 1912, but sadly, he died hours later.

Was there any other ladies pregnant on Titanic?