1. Welcome to Encyclopedia Titanica
    or subscribe for unlimited access to ET! You can also login with , or !
    Dismiss Notice

Premier Exhibitions Future?

Discussion in 'Discovery / Salvage / Exploration / Exhibits' started by Itsstillthinking, Jan 16, 2018.

1. We all remember last year when premier exhibitions and the company they own RMS Titanic Inc filed for bankruptcy and planned to sell the entire artifact collection and rights to the wreck site with James Cameron looking to bid for it. However in the recent weeks there seems to be conflicting reports like the one below that now the auction has been cancelled. Was wondering if anyone else knows any other facts about the situation

http://www.nasdaq.com/press-release...nned-auction-of-company-assets-20171219-00324

2. JJAstorII

JJAstorII Member

I actually spoke to their lawyer. I called cause you have to be interviewed to be a bidder. They really don’t know what they’re doing. They’re trying to not have to auction at all. Which actually is probably a good thing or they want to sell the entire lump to a corporation public venue type people.

3. Thanks for the info! lets hope it becomes clearer down the road

My only fear is that something might happen to all the artifacts, iv maintained that for years Titanic INC has not done things properly in terms of archeology. While i am pro salvage and think these items should be preserved, the methods they have used have been less than ideal. From the incredibly sloppy method of retrieving the the artifacts too damaging the wreck (Cut the life of the mast by a few years) and the terrible job they did raising the "Big piece" to out right lying on not touching the bow (with the mast head light) and also to just being sloppy with the Titanic Story in general.

While their is the fear of these artifacts being sold to people for money and not appreciating them, i was fairly confident that JC and Bob where going to win the bidding (can you imagine if JC owned the wreck!)

In general though its been a real mess

4. JJAstorII

JJAstorII Member

I have to say that though I do 100% agree that the artifacts should not go to the highest private bidder, I am ALSO really sad that the UK will then claim all there is to see. Those of us in the states who love Titanic just as much wont get to see any of it anymore. :(

5. Harland Duzen

Harland Duzen Member

Hopefully they would allow international tours of the artefacts to travel around the World just as before.

Practically people from every part of the World were onboard the Titanic so it would only make sense if every part of the World were able to see it.

JJAstorII likes this.
  6. Harland Duzen

Harland Duzen Member

7. robert warren

robert warren Member

Totally agree. Its sad to think all these objects will be rounded up and shipped to a part of the world that most of us cannot afford to go to. That was the beauty of these exhibits. For me driving 45 minutes to Denver to see it 10 years ago was a blessing. 15 dollars for gas versus a couple of thousand for airfare?? No contest.

8. Yeah, one of them is in Vancouver again right now, a nice 3 hour drive vs a 12 hour flight? No thanks

9. B-rad

B-rad Member

Earlier this year when in Vegas my wife and I acquired about the Titanic exhibit (including big piece) and they said they had just signed another 5 years at the Luxor, which they seemed happy about.

JJAstorII likes this.
  10. JJAstorII

JJAstorII Member

I was actually wondering about Luxor so thanks for posting!

11. robert warren

robert warren Member

Hopefully the contract holds up. In this day and age of bullying. buying out and dirty underhanded tactics---- sometimes contracts are not worth the paper they're written on. Vegas is only an hour and half plane trip from me,so that would be great if they last 5 more years!!!

12. Looks like a judge said they have to put the artifacts up for sale

13. Here's hoping it does not get nasty, last time RMS Titanic INC was at risk of losing the salvage rights it was not pretty

14. I think the group trying to get this back to Belfast for the Titanic Quarter museum are going to get outbid. I don't think their pockets are that deep. I hope it doesn't end up in China. That would suck.

15. Hedge fund consortium out bid them. I wonder who they are? I read somewhere earlier that a group of chinese businessmen or something like that was making a play for the artifacts. When I read what the Belfast group had raised I was like...not enough. I hope they can still get and home port them in Belfast with traveling exhibitions for all to see.

16. My bet if a bidding war does come, we are easily going to hit over 200 million, Wallace's violin went alone for 1.5 mil so my bet that thousands of artifacts and salvage rights are going to cost a pretty penny.

It should also be noted that JC and Bob Ballard where working together with Belfast to get the artifacts back, not a separate group.

This basically means that we can scratch out anyone who is deeply connected to the Titanic community on acquiring the artifacts