Premier Exhibitions Future?

Dec 23, 2017
Here's hoping it does not get nasty, last time RMS Titanic INC was at risk of losing the salvage rights it was not pretty

Nov 14, 2005
I don't know what the plans are of the Belfast group but maybe they can get some items if they are auctioned off piece by piece. Yes Rob, interest in Titanic peaked during the J.C. craze time period. But I'm actually amazed at the interest that still exists. With the documentaries that still come out now and then. I just wish the Titanic Channel hadn't got screwed up.

A. Gabriel

Jun 13, 2018
Philippines
This is an outrageous sacrilege against history. For such artifacts to wind up in the hands of the spiritual successors of JP Morgan, likely to end up adorning some out of the way mansions or otherwise squirrelled away from the general viewing public (especially the rivet counters and history buffs) is a travesty beyond description. If the bid had been made by the heirs of survivors I would at least concede their right to closure in regaining family belongings, but these folks have no right and no claim to why they should possess these maritime relics, except that they have the deepest pockets.

Please excuse the invective. The idea that more of Titanic’s history is becoming inaccessible to me because of this auction fills me with a deep anger.

Reactions: Rich Hayden
Dec 23, 2017
We all remember last year when premier exhibitions and the company they own RMS Titanic Inc filed for bankruptcy and planned to sell the entire artifact collection and rights to the wreck site with James Cameron looking to bid for it. However in the recent weeks there seems to be conflicting reports like the one below that now the auction has been cancelled. Was wondering if anyone else knows any other facts about the situation

http://www.nasdaq.com/press-release/premier-exhibitions-withdraws-sale-procedurescancelling-planned-auction-of-company-assets-20171219-00324

Rob Lawes

Jun 13, 2012
England
These items should have all remained on the bottom of the Atlantic. I would have no interest in seeing what amounts to items robbed from a grave anyway.

There is virtually nothing recovered from the wreck that can't be purchased in an antique shop or, in some cases, a junk shop. These items have virtually no historic value other than the fact that 1500 people died alongside them.

Dec 2, 2000
Easley South Carolina
Cash flow from the exhibits was NEVER a problem with Premier Exhibitions. They were making money hand over fist and had they stuck with George Tulloch's vision would have continued to do so. The problem was that they literally whizzed all of it down the loo by way of legal maneuverings, faction fights with shareholders, and skullduggery. Every penny was eaten up in the courts.

Jan 23, 2019
Richmond businessman steers new course for Titanic exhibitions

Looks like there is some good news!

The traveling exhibitions will go unchanged and now Premier as a whole is turning a profit. And now the french have no say on the artifacts.

They also say they are going down once this year (im assuming in partner with the personal dives)
Also seems that they are hinting more possible exhibitions
I wonder how long that'll last. I think there's inevitably a point the artifacts will be sold to private collectors unless they enter the hands of museums. At least at that point they'd find themselves stored in the back instead of some rich prick who just wants a conversation piece.

As for the possibility of it going to Hong Kong, it was the sense of everyone I knew in Belfast that as soon as they got it all, they'd be sold off and no one would bother prosecuting them for it. That's what I fear is the inevitable fate of the artifacts. The violin was sold off, which may be one of the most (if not the most) significant artifact of them all. Why would they show any modicum of respect for the others?

robert warren

Feb 19, 2016
Totally agree. Its sad to think all these objects will be rounded up and shipped to a part of the world that most of us cannot afford to go to. That was the beauty of these exhibits. For me driving 45 minutes to Denver to see it 10 years ago was a blessing. 15 dollars for gas versus a couple of thousand for airfare?? No contest.

Doug Criner

Dec 2, 2009
USA
If, indeed, they are bankrupt, the remaining assets will be controlled by the creditors - not us here on this forum, etc. We have no voice whatsoever - unless there is a way to intervene with the bankruptcy court. I think the issue is moot.

S

SmileyGirl

I strongly feel all of the artefacts should be given to museums :(

B-rad

Jul 1, 2015
Tacoma, WA
Earlier this year when in Vegas my wife and I acquired about the Titanic exhibit (including big piece) and they said they had just signed another 5 years at the Luxor, which they seemed happy about.

Reactions: JJAstorII
Dec 23, 2017
These items should have all remained on the bottom of the Atlantic. I would have no interest in seeing what amounts to items robbed from a grave anyway.

There is virtually nothing recovered from the wreck that can't be purchased in an antique shop or, in some cases, a junk shop. These items have virtually no historic value other than the fact that 1500 people died alongside them.
As always with these kind of topics there is no wrong or right answer.

For me personally, most of the recovered objects (outside of china) by this point of time would either have disintegrated or and eroded to the point of not being easily recognizable or salvageable. For me who is so passionate about the Titanic, i think it would be a shame for many of these objects to simply cease to exist.

Again another topic for another time:cool:

S

SmileyGirl

My bet if a bidding war does come, we are easily going to hit over 200 million, Wallace's violin went alone for 1.5 mil so my bet that thousands of artifacts and salvage rights are going to cost a pretty penny.

It should also be noted that JC and Bob Ballard where working together with Belfast to get the artifacts back, not a separate group.

This basically means that we can scratch out anyone who is deeply connected to the Titanic community on acquiring the artifacts
That is sad. Do we have any updates about the artefacts?

Dec 23, 2017
Bloomberg - Are you a robot?

As i suspected, most of the artifacts will be kept together, TBH i suspect if this goes through not much will change from how it was done before the bankruptcy. Expect maybe now there will be enough funds to start conversation on more artifacts

Nov 14, 2005
If they can keep it going so that the exhibitions are still open for the public to see then this is not bad news. The 2 times I saw them in Vegas, once at the Rio and once at the Tropicana there was a constant stream of traffic going thru. Maybe with better management they can keep it going.