Princess Iolanda

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mike Poirier

Dec 12, 1999
Is was wondering if there is an offical report about the wreck ( and launching ) of the Princess Iolanda that was launched and tipped over and sank a few minutes later.

Jul 9, 2000
Easley South Carolina
I don't know if there was a report, but it must have been a real Doozy for the shipyard to explain that one. I was reading about that ship yesterday in my copy of Mark Warren's Shipbuilder Volumn Two, where he put the origional Shipbuilder artical on page 27. What added to the embarrassment for the shipyard was that it happened in front of 4000 guests including a senator and some of the Italian aristocracy.

The ship itself was written off as a total loss and scrapped in situ.

Cordially,
Michael H. Standart

Mike Poirier

Dec 12, 1999
Hi Michael
If you have a chance, add Bonsall's 'Shipwrecks of the 2oth Century' to your list. It has fascinating pictures of the launch and then- disaster!
It is funny watching the people in the row boats watching the ship turn over right before their eyes.

Jul 9, 2000
Easley South Carolina
Thanks Mike. My Visa card is groaning again, but what the hell. I just hope the book is still in print.

I'd love to see how the shipyard officers explained this one. ;-) Especially with the nobility among the honored guests.

Cordially,
Michael H. Standart

Status
Not open for further replies.