Professional Mariner

Jul 9, 2000
Easley South Carolina
For those who subscribe to it, or who can get it at the local newstand or book store, David G. Brown has an article published in the June/July 2005 issue concerning his theories on the location of the Standard Compass as a contributing factor in the Titanic's loss. As far as I know, this is the first time he's gone public with it in a formal way.

For those who may not have followed the discussions here on the board, you should find the article interesting and thought provoking.

Jul 9, 2000
Easley South Carolina
It should be hitting the news stands right about now or at least within the next week or so. As a subscriber, I have an "Unfair Advantage" in getting it befor the bookstores do. Quite a bit of other useful material in there as well, including news on shipping casualties of note. If you have an interest in ships, this magazine is something you don't want to do without.

Jun 12, 2004
Michael,

I know about Google and know how to reach the page. You could have simply said go to Google and do a search, hehe. Of course, I had done that and nothing came up. That's why I asked you. I can go to B & N, though, as there are a few near me.

Jul 9, 2000
Easley South Carolina
The Barnes & Noble near me used to carry it but stopped doing so about a year and a half ago. A pity since it's one of the better publications available but not a lot of people have an interest in ships where I live. That's why I started a subscription when an offer arrived in the mail. You may have better luck where you live so it can't hurt to try. Failing that, you could always start a subscription of your own.

Oct 28, 2000
Professional Navigator is a somewhat esoteric magazine unless you live close enough to the sea to get your socks wet at high tide. The publisher has full rights to the article during the months of publication. After that, the rights revert back to me. As soon as I have clearance, I'll attempt to post the full text here on the ET web site.

-- David G. Brown

Mar 22, 2003
Chicago, IL, USA
www.titanicology.com
Do the North American Great Lakes qualify as living close to the sea?
happy.gif

Oct 28, 2000
Sam -- apparently not as it has disappeared from the local chandlery newsstands. Even I cannot find a copy around here.

-- David G. Brown

Feb 7, 2005
I checked a local magazine store yesterday--they were out of the current issues of "Professional Mariner", but the owner said that the June/July issue will arrive at his store Wednesday, May 25th ("PM" is published six times a year).

I assume your article will be in the next (June/July) issue, Dave?

Denise

Erik Wood

Aug 24, 2000
I will be stealing a copy at the earliest possible date...or better yet...I will order someone else to steal it for me.

Oct 28, 2000
My article in Professional Mariner magazine is beginning to bear some unusual fruit.

A gentleman has contacted me through the magazine with a chilling story about how a documentary TV company tried to coerce him into saying something that he did not believe was true. The man is an expert in his field and did not want to risk his reputation, so declined. I can't say much more until I have his permission. However, what he says has the ring of truth.

An instructor at a maritime center has asked for (and been granted) permission to use the article in a class on the problems of situational awareness.

And, I've just been contacted by someone deeply connected with the sinking of the Edmund Fitzgerald here on the Great Lakes. If he has what he claims to have...it's a doozy of a book.

-- David G. Brown

Jul 9, 2000
Easley South Carolina
You've got my attention, David. If you can get permission to discuss what's been passed on to you, I'd be interested in hearing it. Sounds to me like whoever was producing this documentary was trying to cook the facts...or simply ignor them...to support whatever conclusions they already came to.

It's not like that's a first.

Oct 28, 2000
The publishers of Professional Mariner have given me the OK to post the article here on the ET site after the current issue goes off sale. Since they are on sale for two months, that will be sometime later this summer.

-- David G. Brown

Noel F. Jones

May 14, 2002
This retrospective reconstruct, predicating modern manager-speak, is premised upon two sequential suppositions.

Firstly, “Scarrott then established the time span between Fleet’s alarm and the impact with the berg. “I should think it was well, we will say about five or eight minutes.””

Do we have any corroboration of this?

Secondly, it demands that the Mr Murdoch remained transfixed doing sod-all for this problematic eight minutes waiting for his aide to complete a non-urgent routine evolution.

Given a successful evasion, a more likely recitation would have gone something like: “Sorry Boxy, you’ll have to go back aft and do it again — we had this bloody big iceberg dead ahead…”

Sorry to be so sceptical.

Noel