1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Promenade/forward well decks

Discussion in 'Outside Decks & Promenades' started by Chris McCann, Oct 10, 2017.

1. Chris McCann

Chris McCann Member

Hi everyone, I'm writing a short story about the Titanic and hoped you could help me with a few questions I have regarding the promenade decks and the forward well deck.

Firstly, am I right in thinking that the deck immediately below the boat deck was the A Deck Promenade, and if so, was the deck beneath that simply called the B Deck Promenade? Do you know how many metres B Deck Promenade protruded out beneath A Deck Promenade?

Secondly, can I check whether you think it's plausible that 2nd class passengers would have access to either of these decks? Also is anyone aware how many metres both decks were from the Forward Well Deck beneath?

Thirdly can I check whether a first class passenger would have been allowed access to the Forward Well Deck, or was this strictly for the use of third class passengers alone?

Any help is much appreciated! Thanks.

Attached Files:

2. The Decks were simply called by the letter. A Deck and B Deck.
    A Deck was the Promenade Deck, B Deck the Bridge Deck.
    B Deck was about 9 feet longer than A Deck.

2nd Class did not had access to A Deck. There was no door leading to A Deck. On B Deck the 2nd class had its own area aft (behind the A la carte Restaurant and Cafe Parisien).

The forward well deck was only for use of 3rd class passengers however there was only a small staircase with a door, 1st class passengers could have easily climbed over it (if it was looked). In some cases we know 1st class passengers did go forward to the forward well deck and even forecastle.

3. Chris McCann

Chris McCann Member

Thanks Ioannis that's fantastic information, much appreciated. You've highlighted the Cafe Parisien, can I check if you know how late this would typically be open to first class passengers?

Does anyone know how many feet A Deck and B Deck were from the forward well deck? That would also be very helpful. Thanks all.

4. According to one Olympic booklet (it is from 1914) the opening hours would be the same as the A-la-carte Restaurant, from 8 a.m. till 11 p.m. However they might have stay open until 11:30 p.m. or at last till midnight when the lights were extinguished (as it was the case in other public rooms). In case of Titanic we know that some where in the Cafe Parisien when she collided with the iceberg so this would speak for it that the stewards would close it at midnight.

I guess you mean the height, would need to look not sure if it is mentioned somewhere.

5. Chris McCann

Chris McCann Member

Thanks again Ioannis, very helpful regarding the opening hours. If anyone knows the heights of A & B Deck from the forward well deck that'd be great.

6. Chris McCann

Chris McCann Member

Does anyone know whether 2nd class passengers could have logistically made it onto the Forward Well deck also, and if so, how? Thanks