Answered Prop Shaft through Generators

Andy A Carter

Andy A Carter

www.andycarter.net
Question.

Where the Turbine Engine Propeller Shaft passes through the centre of the Generators, is it inside a Tunnel / casing? Or is it just a Shaft turning out in the open

Incony

Incony

good question, we have no images of it during construction there, only during construction in the turbine room.. The only images we have are are left and right views in the generator room.. , and it had a 63 foot long walkway from entry to exit, on the starboard side, we can only see the floor of that in the photo.. i must assume, given its diameter of @2ft it was protected by a casing.. a square duct.. itself part of the false floor to turbine shaft supports, also of which i have no info... but - to warrant a walkway suggests it needed regular lubrication of some kind.. it would be interesting from a layout point of view to discover its plan.. then one could more accurately show what was in the generator room..

B

Bill West

Hi Andy. This ET media:
Full

shows the plans from the 1911 Shipbuilder. The bottom elevation shows that the shaft is in the open on a pillar about 8' high. There is a catwalk along it on the right side and the steep stairs to it show. The plan view shows where the 4 pillars and the catwalk are along the centerline of the room and the stairs show at each end of the catwalk.

The left side of this picture:
Full

shows the pillars' gussets along with the portholed support for the solid bottomed catwalk. The underside of the catwalk and a bit of the stair at the far end show too.

The combined view photo in in The Electrician (post#7, right attachment) has the pillar with the shaft above it airbrushed in.

Bill

Incony

Incony

that is the problem, the op seeks to confirm.. as i have said, neither images of the shaft show its complete image just parts of it.. and fabricated to suit the time... particular the composite image, which is fabricated. The op seeks ( as i do ) a verified plan, verified by direct historical images, and maps.. and if any - construction info? the walkway is known by maps, so are the supports, so are the steps to reach the walkway... but the construction of the shaft surround? Don`t try to fool me or the op that what is in the images, is the actual thing in entirety, ? that is what the OP seeks and i do... false leads do nothing for the truth.. they are lies. Bill West . do you really think that the base of the starboard side image really shows the shaft or just the walkway - part of it? where do you want to go? i will bleed your truth.. ?

Last edited:
Stephen Carey

Stephen Carey

Question.

Where the Turbine Engine Propeller Shaft passes through the centre of the Generators, is it inside a Tunnel / casing? Or is it just a Shaft turning out in the open
Andy, after 18 years at sea and in the shipbuilding and marine engineering business for over 50 years, I can assure you that I have NEVER seen a prop or intermediate shaft line encased. They are always open. I cannot see that any ship built in the 1900s would be any different.
The QM for instance has its shafts exposed along with all other museum ships I've seen.

Incony

Incony

ty for the images, .. without images of the actual turbine shaft in the generator room, my thought was that the service personnel would have protection more than than an a walkway, with railings to stop things catching in that 2 foot plus diameter rotating shaft.. You have shown it was unlikely to be covered or protected from ambient air composition, like steam, and its components. and so was largely unprotected. Was it painted or surface covered in some way? what stopped the steel going rusty?

Stephen Carey

Stephen Carey

ty for the images, .. without images of the actual turbine shaft in the generator room, my thought was that the service personnel would have protection more than than an a walkway, with railings to stop things catching in that 2 foot plus diameter rotating shaft.. You have shown it was unlikely to be covered or protected from ambient air composition, like steam, and its components. and so was largely unprotected. Was it painted or surface covered in some way? what stopped the steel going rusty?
Some were very rusty indeed, but a decent crew attached doormats (the hemp kind) soaked in oil over them, wired to the handrails! This gives the shiny oiled surface shown in one of the pictures. I was on one ship where the shaft was painted cream, which looked nice, and others were clear varnished, which I thought was rather labour intensive though it was probably done underway, where it's easy to clean, dry and paint the rotating shaft.