PT109 photographs released

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 10, 1999
...to the public.

I agree the timing is fitting. NBC News at 5:30 p.m. this evening (Carson City time...;-) aired the first images of the wreck, accompanied with a Bob Ballard brief interview.

Michael A. Cundiff
USA

Jul 9, 2000
Easley South Carolina
Guess I missed it then. For the information of all, Ballard's book on this expedition is already on the bookshelves. I've already given it a sticky beak and while it's long on history, the number of photos of the wreckage itself can be counted on one hand.

Mar 18, 2000
Michael - reading between the lines here, it sounds like you did *not* buy Ballard's book on PT-109. Due to the few pictures, or another reason?

Jul 9, 2000
Easley South Carolina
The only reason I didn't buy it is because money is a little short and Christmas is around the corner. I have some other priorities right now. My observations on the photographs were so people didn't get their hopes up for something more then there actually is.

In fairness though, I don't think there would be a lot to see there anyway. PT boats were built of plywood and wouldn't last long in salt water unless it was buried in the sediment. What I saw were a few photos of the torpedo tubes, one of which still had a weapon in it.

And for the record, I'm not dumping on Dr. Ballard. Finding the surviving wreckage was no small feat. From what I saw of the book, it gave a good history about the PT boats in general, the PT-109 in particular, and what it took to find the remaining fragments. Considering how little is left, it's a wonder he found it at all.

While not on my priority list right now, I do mean to add it to my library.

Jun 10, 1999
Hey Guys:

From my initial understanding of the PT-109 wreck, it is only the torpedo tubes which are exposed. Perhaps in terms of an identifiable feature.

Michael: Money is always short around here, but then again that is what makes for a challenge in my life (BTW, I did manage to purchase my very own copy of "LOST SUBS" today...the photographs therein are stellar!).

So often I speak of selling my Steamship memorabilia collection...but then again where would I find equal complacence...perhaps the boat (QE-2) trip to Europe?

I think I shall just continue the struggle and maintain my post as an temporary caretaker of those dear possesions from our past :)

Michael A. Cundiff
USA

Status
Not open for further replies.